Where does the Lean Manufacturing philosophy / tool set come from?

A

andrewg

Help Please?

I am a new quality auditor and have spent the past few years learning that role. My organisation is starting a 'lean programme' and I have to confess to knowing very little about it. Could someone please provide some basic background knowledge on this tool? Where does it come from? What it is used for? How it operates? When auditing this function, what to look for?

Your advice and knowledge are very welcome.

Thank you and Regards,

Andy:confused:

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
G

gszekely

P

Pazuzu - 2009

Re: Where does Lean come from?

Help Please?

I am a new quality auditor and have spent the past few years learning that role. My organisation is starting a 'lean programme' and I have to confess to knowing very little about it. Could someone please provide some basic background knowledge on this tool? Where does it come from? What it is used for? How it operates? When auditing this function, what to look for?

Thank you and Regards,

In a nutshell...it's trimming the waste from your processes to leave behind the value-added events that the customer is 'willing' to pay for. Think of a T-Bone steak from your grocery store. Say you spend $15 on the T-bone (and keep in mind that meat is sold by weight). 1/2 the weight is bone, and a bit more is the fat surrounding the meat. The bone and fat (no value) is waste yet you're buying it because it's part of the package with the meat (value). $15 for $6 of meat is not customer friendly. Learning how to identify the bone and fat, eliminating it from your process, and then concentrating on the meat is more efficient for you and is what the customer is willing to pay for.

D

DAB68

Help Please?

Thank you and Regards,

Henry Ford. Toyota took Ford's concepts and improved them. Study the Toyota Production System and you'll learn lean. Just understand, it is NOT a tool. It is a business strategy and a corporate culture. For your company to be truly lean, lean must be lived at all levels of the organization.

Wes Bucey

Quite Involved in Discussions

In a nutshell...it's trimming the waste from your processes to leave behind the value-added events that the customer is 'willing' to pay for. Think of a T-Bone steak from your grocery store. Say you spend $15 on the T-bone (and keep in mind that meat is sold by weight). 1/2 the weight is bone, and a bit more is the fat surrounding the meat. The bone and fat (no value) is waste yet you're buying it because it's part of the package with the meat (value). $15 for $6 of meat is not customer friendly. Learning how to identify the bone and fat, eliminating it from your process, and then concentrating on the meat is more efficient for you and is what the customer is willing to pay for.
Pretty good analogy.

I might also add American Society for Quality (ASQ) has a Division devoted to Lean. The members of that Division are currently working on creating a Body of Knowledge (BOK) about Lean.

A BOK is a listing of the facts, history, and techniques that a competent practictioner should have in his "toolkit" for working in a particular field. An ASQ BOK also include resources for acquiring that knowledge. Eventually, the Division will create a "competency test" for Lean resulting in formal certification for those who pass the test.

Readmore about BOK and Certification at ASQ's website about the revision underway for the BOK of Six Sigma http://www.asq.org/certification/six-sigma/prepare.html

Check out the work in progress of the very new Lean Division (less than one year old!) at http://www.asq.org/le/

Steve Prevette

Deming Disciple
Staff member
Super Moderator

One difficulty of this analogy (which can be the source of frustration with lean when misapplied) is that if this was really a case in a butcher shop, the butcher would likely end up charging more than the original $15 for the resulting trimmed meat! There is no such thing as a cow without bone or fat. So the butcher is going to have the same cost for the raw material, plus they must now pay for labor to trim the fat and bone. The butcher isn't going to take a loss on this, so they will probably charge the original $15 plus labor. So, the price per pound will more than double.

P

Pazuzu - 2009

Steve...thank you for the insight but I was merely illustrating the basic concept for the originator of this thread who is, by his own admission, new to the lean practice. The bulk of us do understand that there are much more complex underlying dynamics to lean, labour, profit, fixed and variable costs, etc...I just wanted to put it into plain English by using a clearly understandable depiction with hypothetical figures.

Wes Bucey

Quite Involved in Discussions
Re: butcher analogy
I'm pretty experienced with a knife in a kitchen setting, having learned from commercial chefs and butchers while working as a "kitchen slave" prepping and cooking banquets at my Shrine functions throughout the 70's and 80's. I may be able to trim out multiple cuts of meat efficiently, but I feared for the safety of my hostess's digits when she was trying to carve a roast last Sunday. I had to stop her and sharpen her knife which was so dull, she would have had the same result using the back of the blade. She still persisted in "sawing" at the turkey carcass, even though the knife was then sharp enough to slide through on one stroke.

For most people, tending to "core competencies" is a smart and Lean thing to do, outsourcing the work (like trimming meat) which can be done either more efficiently, more expertly, or less expensively by outsiders than in-house.

For example, I may be able to write computer programs, but I find it less stressful to concentrate on defining the end functions I want and letting someone else write the code, letting the value of my peace of mind counterbalance the cost of an outside code writer.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
J Where does Lean Six Sigma Originate? Six Sigma 5
R Where does IATF 16949 address Process mapping? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
BeaBea Interesting Discussion Where Does Marketing/ Advertisement of Products fit in to ISO 9001? Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 38
D Where does "as far as possible" stop? FMEA - EN 14971 ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 29
A What if Contract Manufacturers does not have an ISO 13485 certificate? Where will the NB audit take place, at legal mfg. site or contract mfg. site? Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 3
D Where does FMEA fit in your ISO 14971 Risk Management process? ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 13
P Warning Letter 1999 - Where does the FDA make older warning letters available? US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 4
M Where does our regulatory responsibility end? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 11
K Where does the FDA post its various compliance dates? US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 2
C Where does Quality Authority come from? Career and Occupation Discussions 4
J Where does process validation fit within design & development? Design and Development of Products and Processes 7
Q When does the FDA deem something "where appropriate"? 21CFR820.30(g) 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 11
M Where does Document Revision Control Start? Rev 0 or Rev 1 Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 19
D Where does the QMS (Quality Management System) fit in your organization? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 13
Q Where does 5S technique fit into ISO 9001? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
Mikael Where does OEE (Overall Equipment Effectiveness) belong? Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 11
F Where does Contact begin for Biocompatability? EU Medical Device Regulations 5
somashekar Where does RoHS stuff get audited by CB's? Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 3
S IEC 60601-1 3rd Gap analysis template TO BUY - Does anyone know where? IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 2
R Where does 20% Lot Qualification Rule Come from? Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 4
G Customer Property Cl. 7.5.4 - Where does ISO 9001 stop and ISO 27001 start? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 33
R Where does the definition of ME (Medical Electrical) Equipment originate? IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 7
J Quality Organization - Does it matter where it reports to? Other US Medical Device Regulations 13
I Where does it state Supplier Corrective Action is required? Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 5
G 12 or 13 Men - Where does the extra man come from? Brain Teasers and Puzzles 5
S Where does least significant digit come into play? Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 8
T Organizational Charts - Where does the Quality Assurance Manager fit in Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 30
T Does anyone know where I can view Bac5300 Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 2
H Where does the 16949 number in TS16949 come from? ISO Numbering System IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
Wes Bucey Where does your hospital rank on quality? Hospitals, Clinics & other Health Care Providers 20
J GMP CFR 21 Part 210 or 211 - Where does GMP address Document Control Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 6
A Where does one find the complete list of ISO standards? Book, Video, Blog and Web Site Reviews and Recommendations 1
D Does anyone know where to buy an instant read dosimeter? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 10
C What is Money for? Where does Barter come into play? Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 19
E Where Does One Get Customer Specific Requirements? Customer and Company Specific Requirements 26
CarolX Where does Quality begin? Philosophy, Gurus, Innovation and Evolution 36
M Research and Development Process - Where does research end and development begin? Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 15
M Attribute Charting - Where does Cp and Cpk come into the equation? Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 5
K Where and How Does Marketing Fit In? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 13
L Does anyone know where I can get documentation for the PUMA method. General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
E SOP or system Work Instruction? Controlled Document - Where does one draw the line? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 5
D Number of Distinct Data Categories:nDC: Where does the constant 1.41 come from? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
S Does anyone know where Guide 25/Palcan Training is available? Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 1
R Internal audit schedules - Where does it say that I need an annual schedule? Internal Auditing 13
A AS9100 Training - Where do I start? AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 11
Q Records where apply and stop recording everything? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
G Gage R&R - Where am I going wrong? Part of a FAIR submission (Aerospace) Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
C Where to place CE/label in Sterile IVD EU Medical Device Regulations 1
G New to ISO 9001 - Where to begin? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 17
K No IFU, where the requirements would go? EU Medical Device Regulations 5