Where in the TS 16949 standard is Yearly PPAP Re-Validation Required

I

isabulg

Hi !

Long time I did not post here, but I think today I need your support (and it is Friday afternoon :D )..
I have searched already what I could in the Cove, but not easy ..
I also read again ISO/TS and PPAP standards but could not find the answer of my today's question:
"from where exactly this annual PPAP re-submission come from"??

I have a lot of customer Q manuals that are mentioning this, some are even mentioning "according to ISO/TS16949 ..." but can not find exactly from where in the standard ???

Thanks in advance !

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Stijloor

Staff member
Super Moderator
Re: PPAP re-validation - help

ISO/TS 16949:2009 does NOT include a requirement for annual re-submission.

All the Standard states is this:

7.3.6.3 Product approval process

The organization shall conform to a product and manufacturing process approval procedure recognized by the customer.

NOTE Product approval should be subsequent to the verification of the manufacturing process.

This product and manufacturing process approval procedure shall also be applied to suppliers.
Your customer dictates what PPAP submissions are required and possibly re-submissions.

Again, ISO/TS does not mention this. Talk to the Customer if needed.

Stijloor.

Jim Wynne

Staff member
Admin

Hi !

Long time I did not post here, but I think today I need your support (and it is Friday afternoon :D )..
I have searched already what I could in the Cove, but not easy ..
I also read again ISO/TS and PPAP standards but could not find the answer of my today's question:
"from where exactly this annual PPAP re-submission come from"??

I have a lot of customer Q manuals that are mentioning this, some are even mentioning "according to ISO/TS16949 ..." but can not find exactly from where in the standard ???

Thanks in advance !
The reason you can't find it is that it isn't there. :) TS16949 doesn't specifically require PPAP itself, let alone annual submissions. There's also nothing about it in the PPAP manual itself (4th Edition).

When there is a requirement for annual submission, it's coming from a customer, and perhaps a customer who mistakenly thinks it's a general requirement. If you have a customer who cites TS16949 as the basis for the requirement, you can ask to be directed to the place in the standard they're referring to. They won't be able to find it either. :D

I

isabulg

Many thanks for your quick replies ! So I was not so stupid as I thought :bonk:
I always re-negotiated this requirement because for our business, this is quite difficult to maintain (qualification is lasting already 6 to 9 months ...). But I never asked myself where it did come :notme:

Enjoy your week end !

L

Legomoc

Howard,
You are right about the annual layout inspection. There is also the product audit. But a re-submission to the customer of PPAP is not linked to that. Registration and available for review only.

Howard Atkins

Forum Administrator
Staff member
Admin
A lot of people say "according to ISO/TS16949 ..." with out justification.

If the customer asks and it is in his manual then you agreed to this in your contract which invariable refers to documents that most companies dont read as they (the contracts) are stuck with marketing.

J

JaxQC

My guess is that it may be a selective interpretation on their part going back to the PPAP book. (my ref is from the 4th ed, page 14, section 3.1.6). Customer Notification req’d PPAP “Product produced after the tooling has been inactive for volume production for 12 months or more”. The key word for me is that it only applies if “inactive” for 12mo. Their eyes may be only seeing the 1 year.

That said, I also had an annual layout to cover tool wear and problems not covered under the per normal audit checks. It was internal, not submitted to Customer, but more than once it stopped them in their tracks. I’d get a call about a potential problem and after “Well we just completed an annual, full dimensional audit, here’s the info”…they never called back. For what it’s worth.

S

Sturmkind

The requirement for annual layout was in the customer specific sections of AIAG QS9000 manual where Ford (pg. 67), and Chrysler (page 62) required an annual physical part layout, GM did not but required material certifications and performance evidence be less than 1 year old (GP11).

As other posters have pointed out these requirements were erroneously attributed to ISO/TS.

Stijloor

Staff member
Super Moderator
The requirement for annual layout was in the customer specific sections of AIAG QS9000 manual where Ford (pg. 67), and Chrysler (page 62) required an annual physical part layout, GM did not but required material certifications and performance evidence be less than 1 year old (GP11).

As other posters have pointed out these requirements were erroneously attributed to ISO/TS.
Here in this Forum, we (Moderators) often deal with (assumed) requirements that do not exist.
Assumptions are often fueled by the ignorant ;) and then they become reality. :bonk: :bonk:

Stijloor.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
M Where can I buy (purchase) copies of the ISO/TS 16949:2002 Standard fast? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
S Where can I buy the TS 16949 standard? The AIAG is expensive! IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 9
R Where does IATF 16949 address Process mapping? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
Rameshwar25 Where is Personnel Safety in IATF 16949:2016 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
A Where to find a Draft Copy of IATF 16949:2016? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 23
I Where can I Get a Spanish Translation of TS 16949? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
R Where are shipping & receiving processes covered under TS 16949 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
S TS 16949 Specific Requirements - Where are they stated? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 9
L Where to purchase ISO/TS 16949 Training Handbook IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 6
G Until where goes ISO TS 16949 for Suppliers ? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
R Where can I buy TS 16949 technical specs and manuals? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 8
H Where does the 16949 number in TS16949 come from? ISO Numbering System IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
A Where can I find a list of all ISO/TS 16949 registered companies? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 9
R Where to Buy TS 16949 Merchandise such as Flags and Plaques IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
T Transitioning from ISO 9001 to TS 16949 - Where to start and what to do? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
Crusader Where do I exactly implement TS 16949 - minimum? Only 2% of business is OEM IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 12
B Upgrading our QS-9000 system to TS 16949 - Where do I start? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 6
C Where to buy a copy of ISO/TS 16949 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 7
D TS 16949 - Where did the 16949 come from? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
L Where I can find the number of companies registered to TS 16949 World Wide? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
D Where Did the Number 16949 Come From? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
S Where to start for MDSAP for Canada? Canada Medical Device Regulations 4
D Deviations - Where in ISO 13485 deviations are covered? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 7
D Question regarding where "validations" fit according to ISO 13485:2016 ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
A MDR requirement where unit of use packaging is too small for UDI carrier EU Medical Device Regulations 1
M Testing criteria - where to place Design and Development of Products and Processes 2
J UDI - Where to document it? EU Medical Device Regulations 8
J Where to get a Black belt certification ASQ, ANAB, UKAS, IAF, IRCA, Exemplar Global and Related Organizations 13
D Any recommendations on where to find experienced quality hires in Chicago area? Job Openings, Consulting and Employment Opportunities 2
J Where is the definition of a critical supplier? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
W Where does a coatings and paint company fall in IATF? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
B When Travel is allowed - Where are you going? Travel - Hotels, Motels, Planes and Trains 15
G Where to buy Template / sample SCSMS Manual, checklist Supply Chain Security Management Systems 1
S Where do l get calibration standards to run a calibration lab? Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 2
M Quality Manual - Where does Revision History Section go? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 8
C Where to draw the line for "sufficient evidence" to verify safety/performance of a device? CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 2
L Where to place the what/when/how/who/where procedures in a multi-regulation AS9110C organisation AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
B Where to acquire EN 868-5 required dye (Amaranth red)? Other Medical Device Related Standards 2
N Where to find Regulations for Reprocessing and Reuse of Single-Use Devices Other Medical Device Related Standards 2
H Where to get EK MED 1927/16 Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 3
D Where to find Guidance Class II Amendment Canada Medical Device Regulations 1
O EN 301 489-1 and EN 301 489-17 - Where do we get the information of the Published versions? CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 1
A AS9100 Training - Where do I start? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 14
qualprod Records where apply and stop recording everything? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
G Gage R&R - Where am I going wrong? Part of a FAIR submission (Aerospace) Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
C Where to place CE/label in Sterile IVD EU Medical Device Regulations 1
G New to ISO 9001 - Where to begin? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 17
BeaBea Interesting Discussion Where Does Marketing/ Advertisement of Products fit in to ISO 9001? Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 39
K No IFU, where the requirements would go? EU Medical Device Regulations 5
T Assessing Hazard-Related Use Scenarios where control measures exist through standards IEC 62366 - Medical Device Usability Engineering 32