Where is Quality on your Organization Chart?

T

TigerLilie

Our firm is in the process of a major reorg. We had a RIF several months ago and our QA team went from three people to one person. Previously the Director of QA reported directly to the CEO. But now there is no Director of QA, just me, a QA Engineer, and I am only reporting to the CEO in the interim. There is no plan for me to permanently report directly to him. Also no plan to hire another Director or QA or QA Manager. Not sure what I make of this, but that's another story.

So I was curious, being this is my first QA job, where does QA fall in your org chart?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

John Broomfield

Staff member
Super Moderator
TigerLilie,

It seems like quality management is becoming part of everyone's job and process. Your role now could be to advise and support the CEO in maintaining and improving the organizational management system so it helps leaders at all levels to engage employees in understanding and fulfilling requirements.

John

normzone

Trusted Information Resource
Been there, done that. My experience has been that QA needs to report to the top.

Otherwise, you're reporting to the people you're supposed to be keeping on the straight and narrow. That's not worked well in my previous lifetimes.

L

Lincole

From my personal experience, QA/QC department has to report separately from the manufacturing (process, sales, work force) group. So that when quality vs quantity related conflict happens, the QA/QC department will not be ignored or overruled by the production management. QA/QC are like police and production are like citizens, we report to the chief police and citizens report to their bosses.

Ninja

Looking for Reality
Trusted Information Resource
Sounds like it's contrary to the previous responses (on this thread and others), but our Quality team reports to the Director of Operations who also is over Manufacturing.

Quality hierarchy will intersect Mfg hierarchy at some point, whether it be at the CEO or lower. The need is that the two are not pitted against each other.
A CEO can override QA for immediate profit as easily as DirOps can...the question is "Will they".

Having them join at Director level works well for us.

P

PaulJSmith

I've been in just about every scenario as well during my years in Quality. Reporting to Operations Managers has never worked well in my experiences. When I came to the small company I'm at now, I made it clear to the Owner that working for the Production Manager (his initial idea) was a potential conflict of interests. He agreed, and I report directly to him. It works well for us. I'm fortunate to work with a PM who cares about quality over making promised ship dates. He "gets it." I've not always been so lucky.

So, in our Organization Chart, the Quality Manager (me), Production Manager, Engineering Manager, and Sales Manager all report to the Owner/CEO. No one has over-riding power over others, except the Owner (of course).

John Broomfield

Staff member
Super Moderator
Tigerlilie,

Do not deprive design, purchasing and manufacturing of their responsibility to control quality - keep QC with them.

Being as QA is delivered by everyone using and improving their management system to fulfill requirements, the top manager needs the expertise of the QA function or a quality professional reporting to them.

John

kgott

Quite Involved in Discussions
I am that person. Above me is the operations manager, the MD then the owners. Officially the operations manager is the nominated representative but I'm the one with knowledge and skills for quality.

I've not had a problem with these arrangements. Anyone who wants to know something comes to me anyway.

I do the audits and I'm the contact point for customers etc.

I'm not bragging here, what I am saying is where the official representative sits not relevant. Its the commitment of management that counts.

I have learned not to push management any further than they want to go. I do a lot of CYA but there is a fair amount of confidence in management about my expertise in the area anyway but that not to say that I have not got things wrong from time to time because I have

Pancho

wikineer
Super Moderator
It's common for folks not familiar with quality management to think of it as inspection management. It is not.

Quality is consistent customer satisfaction. Quality is the sole reason why customers give a company their money. It is achieved and maintained only through continual improvement of product and process. It is the foundation of any business that is successful in the long term, and such businesses manage quality from the top.

kgott

Quite Involved in Discussions
It's common for folks not familiar with quality management to think of it as inspection management. It is not.

Quality is consistent customer satisfaction. Quality is the sole reason why customers give a company their money. It is achieved and maintained only through continual improvement of product and process. It is the foundation of any business that is successful in the long term, and such businesses manage quality from the top.
Excellent Pancho.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
D Where does the QMS (Quality Management System) fit in your organization? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 13
J Quality Organization - Does it matter where it reports to? Other US Medical Device Regulations 13
F Quality Objectives - Where in the QMS Quality Objectives should be located ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
M AS9100 - Where to start - Small company (10 employees) and I am the Quality Dept. AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 45
K Where in the quality manual do I put our Quality Objectives and our Quality Policy Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 19
C Where does Quality Authority come from? Career and Occupation Discussions 4
A Where to document Quality Objectives ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
D Online quality site where I can get FMEA or GD&T Training FMEA and Control Plans 3
Q Where to include the SIPOC results in QMS (Quality Management System)? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
S Annual Stock Check - Where to add it into our Quality Manual? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
A Where to define Process Tailoring Form used in CMMI in the ISO 9001 Quality Manual? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
N Where to begin defining and monitoring Quality Metrics in a Machine Shop Manufacturing and Related Processes 9
G Quality Objectives - Where to start defining Quality Objectives? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 11
K How and where to start as Quality Management Representatives QMR (ISO9001:2008) ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
B Where do I start when I Internal Audit the Quality Management System? Internal Auditing 8
B Where do policies fit in the setting up of a Quality Management System (QMS)? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
D Quality Digest article - "An Honest Gage R&R Study" - Where is he getting the d2*? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 4
K Procedures and Quality Manual written - Where next? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 14
T Where should Validation and/or Testing Report to? Engineering? Quality? Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 3
S Where is the line drawn between Manufacturing and Quality... Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 14
B Small company where the Quality Manager and HR manager is the same person ? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
T Organizational Charts - Where does the Quality Assurance Manager fit in Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 30
D Where/How to Gain Training/Education to Be a Quality Professional Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 11
Wes Bucey Where to look for Quality Assurance jobs? Career and Occupation Discussions 11
J Ideas for Quality Policy Sign - What and Where? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
sardonyx Where can I buy TS7-K Supplier Quality Requirements QS 7 Pack? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
GStough Where to begin - creating a Quality Plan for Class I Medical Device ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 7
Q Where I can pursue Quality related training near New York City? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
Wes Bucey Where does your hospital rank on quality? Hospitals, Clinics & other Health Care Providers 20
C Quality Manager and employee issues, where to draw the line? Career and Occupation Discussions 17
Q Setting up a Quality system - No medical device experience - Where to start ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
H Looking for Career Advice - My title is Quality Analyst - Where from here? Career and Occupation Discussions 1
T Changing Existing Quality Culture/Program - Where to Begin? Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 5
J VDA 2 Ensuring the quality of deliveries - Where I can purchage an english version? VDA Standards - Germany's Automotive Standards 2
P Where is the Quality Mission Statement ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
A CEU's for ASQ recertifications - Where quality professionals can find CEUs Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 8
M Quality program, where to begin? One man machine/mold shop Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 13
H How and where should Quality Objectives be documented? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 15
5 Honda Supplier Quality Manual - Where to Obtain? Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 12
Marc Quality Digest 2004 Salary Survey - Yearly Elsmar Cove Poll - Where do YOU stand? Career and Occupation Discussions 17
D Quality Manual - Where the cross referenced procedures fit in? Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 4
D Published ASQ CQE (Certified Quality Engineer) Exams - Where can I get them? Professional Certifications and Degrees 22
CarolX Where does Quality begin? Philosophy, Gurus, Innovation and Evolution 36
L Changing the Culture of an organisation where quality is a dirty word ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 91
J Quality System 'Champion' - Where do I start? Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 1
V Free Quality Tools and Where to Find Them Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 56
A Distance Learning where I would be able to obtain a 4 year degree in Quality? Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 7
A Please tell me where to start - ISO 9001:2000 Quality Manual 'Upgrade' Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 9
M Daimler Chrysler SQM (Supplier Quality Manual) - Where to obtain a copy Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 9
S How do I deal with a company where there is no centralized quality function? Preventive Action and Continuous Improvement 13