Where to find Red/White Rust Rating Requirements?

V

vardar3

We have an E-coat specification WSS-M64J39-A1. The customer put a performance spec on it:

"must exceed 240 hours to salt spray.
Red rust rating 6 or better.
White rust rating 2 or better"

Where does the red/white rust rating system come from? I referred to the WSS-M64J39-A1, and the performance spec in that (M2P182A). Can't find a rating for red/white rust.

has anyone seen a Ford Rating system for this?

A

allan-M

Difficult to say when people don't specify a standard, unless there is some accepted industry standard that "everyone knows about."
We produce painted steel in sheet form and have an accelerated testing lab. Our method is ASTM D1654 Standard Test Method for Evaluation of Painted or Coated Specimens Subjected to Corrosive Environments.
It describes a rating method running 0 through 10. The scope is:
"This test method covers the treatment of previously
painted or coated specimens for accelerated and atmospheric
exposure tests and their subsequent evaluation in respect to
corrosion, blistering associated with corrosion, loss of adhesion​
at a scribe mark, or other film failure."

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin
We have an E-coat specification WSS-M64J39-A1. The customer put a performance spec on it:

"must exceed 240 hours to salt spray.
Red rust rating 6 or better.
White rust rating 2 or better"

Where does the red/white rust rating system come from? I referred to the WSS-M64J39-A1, and the performance spec in that (M2P182A). Can't find a rating for red/white rust.

has anyone seen a Ford Rating system for this?

I think your customer may be confused. White corrosion is a product of oxidation of zinc. The "white rust" requirement is normally seen on steel products that are zinc plated. You need to ask your customer about that, and what their rating numbers mean.

Last edited:
V

vardar3

Yes ASTM 1654 spoke to it as well as ASTM D610. ASTM D610 Standard for Evaluating degree of Rusting was what I needed.

Thanks for your help everyone!

Top Bottom