Where to Get SPC Training to Measure our Processes?

S

SimpleIsGood

Hello Quality Geeks:

I'll be getting a new process into my factory and my boss thinks we'll need to apply some sort of SPC to measure the process--I'm thinking it may well be a control chart. While I'm familiar with lots of SPC stuff, I use it seldom enough that I look it up every time.

Can you recommend a good SPC video, website, training program?

The videos over at GembaAcademy.com look interesting. I'm also looking around for information form my local community college and industrial extension service. So far, nothing there.

Would a general Green Belt training class cover SPC?

Thanks for your suggestions.

Steve Prevette

Deming Disciple
Leader
Super Moderator
There is a bunch of SPC training materials that I wrote under government contract (so they are open domain) at http://www.efcog.org/wg/esh_es/Statistical_Process_Control/. If Marc will forgive a slight advert, I've taught the materials before on request. Or really, any qualified statistician type ought to be able to pick them up and teach from them or use them for the basis of a course.

Keep in mind there may be local colleges that can offer training through an extension program.

Many times ASQ conferences will have pre-conference or post-conference courses in SPC.

Chennaiite

Never-say-die
Trusted Information Resource
Apart from others, I would recommend couple of books written by Donald J Wheeler - Understanding Variation:the key to managing chaos and Making sense of data. I read them about an year back. They were not just interesting but also gave me an excellent perspective of Control charts. Unfortunately, I was unable to apply them as much as I would have loved to. Not that they aren't application-friendly, but I think Top Management in general are still blind when it comes to seeing the usefulness of Control charts especially in a non-manufacturing process.

Mike S.

Happy to be Alive
Trusted Information Resource
Who you callin' a geek!!!! :lol:

Another vote for Don Wheeler's books/training. Check him out at www.spcpress.com He is a statistical guru.

Also check out Quality Digest online for Wheeler's articles as well as those by Davis Balestracci -- both are very common-sense fellows who try to simplify the process as much as possible yet are recognized authorities on the subject.

And from what I've seen here, fellow Cover Steve Prevette is probably not a bad choice, either. :agree1:

Bottom line -- although I do not know your process, it is highly unlikely you need a course on every type of SPC -- a run chart and an I-MR chart is usually all you ever need in the vast majority of cases.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Steve Prevette

Deming Disciple
Leader
Super Moderator
Wheeler's books are good, and I've run across a few folks who have taken his training classes and they liked them.

Reluctance

Involved In Discussions
There is a bunch of SPC training materials that I wrote under government contract (so they are open domain) at http://www.efcog.org/wg/esh_es/Statistical_Process_Control/.

Just a note for anyone checking out this information and wanting to save a copy of the materials. I was not able to access the database files (no pun intended).
I believe that this is a hosting server and permissions issue. Database files are not served by default.

Alternately if these files are safe to share they could either be updated to be in a container of some sort (zip file for example) or the permissions would need to be changed. My guess is that it would be easier and faster to just wrap the files.

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin
Just a note for anyone checking out this information and wanting to save a copy of the materials. I was not able to access the database files (no pun intended).
I believe that this is a hosting server and permissions issue. Database files are not served by default.

Alternately if these files are safe to share they could either be updated to be in a container of some sort (zip file for example) or the permissions would need to be changed. My guess is that it would be easier and faster to just wrap the files.

I'm not sure what issue you're having. I have no trouble accessing/downloading the files at Steve's link.

Reluctance

Involved In Discussions
Jim,

Are you able to download the files under the "Access File" links?
I was able to view all of the documents except for those two.

Top Bottom