Where to start Maintenance Function Kaizen

magnasty

Starting to get Involved
I have been asked to perform a maintenance Kaizen event in a company I recently joined. Not having done this before for a maintenance team, I am not sure where to begin. The only metrics this team has is PM completion....that's it. There is a great deal of equipment downtime as well as several repeat issues.

I am looking for some ideas on where to start. Thanks in advance.

L

lokeky1

1. Get your team together

2. Document the types of issues that the team is facing. Use simple frequency histogram to keep track. Some issues are "Missing spare parts", "Inaccurate stock record", "Looking for tools or materials", " Log books has too many written input"

3. Chose the issue with the highest frequency of occurrence or the one that you guys are comfortable with.

4. Use Visual Factory (5S) to fix the problem your team has chosen.

5. Formalise everything in a report and make effort to publicise your team results.

Hope this helps.

magnasty

Starting to get Involved
Thanks. I started with this approach with the supervisors and some of the team members. It was eye opening. The supervisors were very open as were a couple of the employees. The rest are concerned that I will be tracking their time. The place is very inefficient and many of the guys have no concept of downtime tracking, mean time between failure, etc. This will be a challenge. I am going to start simple...looking at downtime and repeat occurrences.

Top Bottom