SBS - The Best Value in QMS software

Which Australian Standard will help me implement OH&S in my business ?

K

kokonut

Hey guys I've been looking around for a benchmark to use for OH&S in my company, I'am confused how to approach this which benchmark is the one that is required for OH&S in the workplace ? In Victoria we have Occupational health and Safety Act of 2004(State Legislation) which is highly emphasized basically im trying to find out what benchmark do I need to write a OHS Manual ?

Thanks in advance

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
K

kokonut

Thanks for that. So I should use AS/NZS 4801:2001 - Occupational health and safety management systems - Specification with guidance for use and AS/NZS 4804:2001 - Occupational health and safety management systems - General guidelines on principles, systems and supporting techniques. Correct ? Or should I just use AS48001:2001 and of course complying to local legislation aswell but I just need a benchmark as I cant find a OH&S Guideline for the OH&S Act 2004.
Reading from the AS standard link you provided within the document it contains "Compliance with this Standard may not necessarily meet your OHS legal obligations" I think I should just focus on the OH&S Act 2004 since its more recent then the AS4801:2001 and I'll just wait till they release a newer version of the AS OH&S.

M

machrk

:cool:
Thanks for that. So I should use AS/NZS 4801:2001 - Occupational health and safety management systems - Specification with guidance for use and AS/NZS 4804:2001 - Occupational health and safety management systems - General guidelines on principles, systems and supporting techniques. Correct ? Or should I just use AS48001:2001 and of course complying to local legislation aswell but I just need a benchmark as I cant find a OH&S Guideline for the OH&S Act 2004.
Reading from the AS standard link you provided within the document it contains "Compliance with this Standard may not necessarily meet your OHS legal obligations" I think I should just focus on the OH&S Act 2004 since its more recent then the AS4801:2001 and I'll just wait till they release a newer version of the AS OH&S.
which state are you based in ? I'm based in NSW

AS 4801 & AS 4804 provide good sources

then check your state's regulator eg Workcover in NSW or Worksafe in Victoria etc

note generally you will be required to ensure that you have provided a safe system of work

NSW Workcover has guidance for Workers Compensation Self Insurers

also consider your local Business Chamber for resources

My org has been greatly inspired by the Dupont system and has the following OHSMS governance standards

Leadership & Accountability
Legal Compliance
Risk Management
Fit for Work
Training & Competency
Employee Engagement Consultation Communication
Document Control Records Management
Materials & Contractor Management
Process Plant & Equipment Integrity
Emergency Preparedness & Response
Incident Management
Preventative & Corrective Action
Measurement & Verification

K

kokonut

mmmm I'm just trying how to comply to the right legislation in OH&S such as above i mentioned two systems in (Victoria OHS Act 2004 State legislation) and (AS 4801:2001 Standard), I cannot find a Management System Guide for Victoria OHS Act 2004 ? Which is making it hard for me to write up my Management System Plan to comply to it any advice ?

harry

Super Moderator
................... Which is making it hard for me to write up my Management System Plan to comply to it any advice ?
I am not that familiar with the Australian standards and will try.

1. AS 4801 and 4804 are much like OHSAS 18001 and 18004 or ISO 14001 and 14004. The first is for certification purpose and the other is a guidance document.

2. AS 4801 provides a framework with requirements for anyone in Australia to set up an Occupational, health and safety Management System.

3. Within the requirements of AS 4801 is a section on 'Legal and other requirements' where you identify the legal and other OH&S requirements applicable to you. This is where your Victoria OHS Act comes in. You have to be vigilant and update this area whenever there are changes.

K

kokonut

Just out of curiosity does the BS OHS 18001:2007 have the same structure as AS 4801:2001 ? The same headings ? I dont have access to the BS OHS 18001 but I have only access to AS 4801

Thanks

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
T QSF 2000 in UK and the US (Australian food industry Standard) - Withdrawn? Food Safety - ISO 22000, HACCP (21 CFR 120) 2
mihzago Looking for an Australian/ NZ Sponsor Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 4
M Informational TGA – Australian regulatory action on breast implants and breast tissue expanders Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
J Australian TGA Sponsor costs Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 3
F Looking for Australian Sponsor for an impending TGA Submission Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 8
S Australian Registration of Non-CE Marked Medical Device CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 2
M Australian Meddev Regulations Updated 5 Nov 2014 Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 0
D Australian Registration of a CE Marked Medical Device Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 2
S Australian and New Zealand Standards - Supply Electricity MEN and TNC System Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 3
F Combined ER/EP Checklist template that covers both MDD ERs and Australian EPs EU Medical Device Regulations 1
ScottK Card used to indicate Sterilization Status - Australian Medical Device Question Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 3
W Australian Approval for Class I Medical Device - Help needed. Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 1
E Conformity Assessment under Australian Medical Device Regulations Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 3
E Any Idea why Manufacturer with CE device does not seek Australian approval? Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 7
J First Australian Woman PM World News 34
bio_subbu Australian TGA publishes consolidated reference guidelines for medical devices(ARGMD) Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 0
T Prohibition Australian Style Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 12
bio_subbu TGA Guidelines on Australian & EU Medical Device Regulatory Requirements Differences Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 5
C Australian Medical Device Database like the US FDA's 510(k) 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
B ISO13485 Standard Documentation Packages ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
S ISO/IEC 15408 - Is this is Certifiable Standard? Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 2
C Requirement for Revision of Standard in all Documentation ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
M Lighting Standard for Metal Processing Inspection Manufacturing and Related Processes 4
F USB-IF standard EU Medical Device Regulations 0
F Is USB-IF standard compliant with ISO13485? Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 3
A Is there a standard on tolerances of substances ? Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 1
P Pooled Standard Error - Minitab Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 0
SABRINA DJILALI SAIAH Implementation of the ISAS-MEDIA 9001 standard in a TV channel ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
Sidney Vianna Interesting Discussion Should ISO 9004 be changed from a guidance document to a requirements standard? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
B European Harmonized vs IEC standard IEC 62366 - Medical Device Usability Engineering 2
Moumen H Variations between ASTM A29 Standard for steel bars and Mill test certificates specs Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
D Which ISO Standard to purchase? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 7
K IEC 60601-1:2005/AMD2:2020, Why this standard version is 3.0? IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 2
C Standard -Machinist Handbook Customer Complaints 4
N EN 813, EN 12277, EN 1497 - Testing some harness prototypes to an EN standard Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 0
R Remote Audits for ISO 9001 (or any other standard) General Auditing Discussions 31
S Which department should prepare the control plan? could you show me a standard regarding to this matter. FMEA and Control Plans 17
Y Auditory alarm standard IEC 60601-1-8 Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 0
M Does the ISO 9001:2015 standard require a disaster recovery plan or emergency response plan ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 16
S Shore A hardness Tester Acceptance Criteria Standard Elsmar Cove Forum Suggestions, Complaints, Problems and Bug Reports 2
Sidney Vianna What ISO Standard (under the TC 176) supports the UN Sustainable Development Goal #10? ASQ, ANAB, UKAS, IAF, IRCA, Exemplar Global and Related Organizations 11
John Broomfield Vote - Should ISO9004 Become a Requirements Standard? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 11
Q EN ISO 13485:2016/AC:2018 - AC:2018 being stated in the applicable harmonized standard listing Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 1
J SAE J1739 standard IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
Marcel DS LV 123 - BMW, AUDI, Mercedes Standard VDA Standards - Germany's Automotive Standards 1
F Standard Calibration Procedures: Recommended Practice ISO 17025 related Discussions 0
M FDA News FDA Releases Draft Guidance Clarifying Application of ISO 10993-1 Biocompatibility Standard Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
Y UL 1998 Standard: software classes Software Quality Assurance 0
G What to do with correction factors overlooked by an accredited standard (6.4.11)? ISO 17025 related Discussions 5
G Copy of withdrawn ISO 9001:1994 Quality Management Standard ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2