Which Australian Standard will help me implement OH&S in my business ?

K

kokonut

Hey guys I've been looking around for a benchmark to use for OH&S in my company, I'am confused how to approach this which benchmark is the one that is required for OH&S in the workplace ? In Victoria we have Occupational health and Safety Act of 2004(State Legislation) which is highly emphasized basically im trying to find out what benchmark do I need to write a OHS Manual ?

Thanks in advance

harry

Trusted Information Resource
From a previous post of another Cover, AS 4801: 2001 is the standard for certification. Whatever be it, you will need to comply with your local legislation.

K

kokonut

Thanks for that. So I should use AS/NZS 4801:2001 - Occupational health and safety management systems - Specification with guidance for use and AS/NZS 4804:2001 - Occupational health and safety management systems - General guidelines on principles, systems and supporting techniques. Correct ? Or should I just use AS48001:2001 and of course complying to local legislation aswell but I just need a benchmark as I cant find a OH&S Guideline for the OH&S Act 2004.
Reading from the AS standard link you provided within the document it contains "Compliance with this Standard may not necessarily meet your OHS legal obligations" I think I should just focus on the OH&S Act 2004 since its more recent then the AS4801:2001 and I'll just wait till they release a newer version of the AS OH&S.

M

machrk

:cool:
Thanks for that. So I should use AS/NZS 4801:2001 - Occupational health and safety management systems - Specification with guidance for use and AS/NZS 4804:2001 - Occupational health and safety management systems - General guidelines on principles, systems and supporting techniques. Correct ? Or should I just use AS48001:2001 and of course complying to local legislation aswell but I just need a benchmark as I cant find a OH&S Guideline for the OH&S Act 2004.
Reading from the AS standard link you provided within the document it contains "Compliance with this Standard may not necessarily meet your OHS legal obligations" I think I should just focus on the OH&S Act 2004 since its more recent then the AS4801:2001 and I'll just wait till they release a newer version of the AS OH&S.
which state are you based in ? I'm based in NSW

AS 4801 & AS 4804 provide good sources

then check your state's regulator eg Workcover in NSW or Worksafe in Victoria etc

note generally you will be required to ensure that you have provided a safe system of work

NSW Workcover has guidance for Workers Compensation Self Insurers

also consider your local Business Chamber for resources

My org has been greatly inspired by the Dupont system and has the following OHSMS governance standards

Leadership & Accountability
Legal Compliance
Risk Management
Fit for Work
Training & Competency
Employee Engagement Consultation Communication
Document Control Records Management
Materials & Contractor Management
Process Plant & Equipment Integrity
Emergency Preparedness & Response
Incident Management
Preventative & Corrective Action
Measurement & Verification

K

kokonut

mmmm I'm just trying how to comply to the right legislation in OH&S such as above i mentioned two systems in (Victoria OHS Act 2004 State legislation) and (AS 4801:2001 Standard), I cannot find a Management System Guide for Victoria OHS Act 2004 ? Which is making it hard for me to write up my Management System Plan to comply to it any advice ?

harry

Trusted Information Resource
................... Which is making it hard for me to write up my Management System Plan to comply to it any advice ?

I am not that familiar with the Australian standards and will try.

1. AS 4801 and 4804 are much like OHSAS 18001 and 18004 or ISO 14001 and 14004. The first is for certification purpose and the other is a guidance document.

2. AS 4801 provides a framework with requirements for anyone in Australia to set up an Occupational, health and safety Management System.

3. Within the requirements of AS 4801 is a section on 'Legal and other requirements' where you identify the legal and other OH&S requirements applicable to you. This is where your Victoria OHS Act comes in. You have to be vigilant and update this area whenever there are changes.

K

kokonut

Just out of curiosity does the BS OHS 18001:2007 have the same structure as AS 4801:2001 ? The same headings ? I dont have access to the BS OHS 18001 but I have only access to AS 4801

Thanks

K

kokonut

Can anyone answer the above question or direct me to the headings of BS 18001 ?

Thank you

Top Bottom