Which certificate do I need to manufacture Seat Covers for Aircraft

C

Cover Craft

Hello everybody, I have just been registered and want to say a big hello to those who are presently online. secondly I wish to know which certificate I need on order to manufacture seat covers for aircrafts? Thanks for reply.:thanx:
Cover craft

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Jen Kirley

Quality and Auditing Expert
Staff member
Admin
Good day, welcome to the Cove! :bigwave:

You haven't specified which airline you are intending to market to, or whether your seat covers are for new, replacement or modification.

But I found a Federal Aviation Administration circular for you: Approval of Modified Seating Systems Initially Approved Under a Technical Standard Order.

Beyond this I recommend asking the customers you wish to market to. SAE has the Guidelines for Development of Civil Aircraft and Systems and then there's the aerospace quality management system standard AS91000. Your customers might expect certification under that standard.

I hope this helps!

Big Jim

Trusted Information Resource
If your question is which standard in the ISO 9001 family should you seek registration to, it depends.

Most likely it would be to AS9100. That is the standard preferred for companies manufacturing parts for aircraft.

If you are repairing seats, you might be able to fit under AS9110.

If you want to have a quality management system, and your customer is not requiring you to be registered to either of the AS9100 standards, you may find ISO 9001 to be satisfactory.

No matter what, you will need to comply with certain FAA requirements, especially for validation of flame retardant properties of the seat covers.

Additionally, beyond the ISO family, the FAA may want you to fall under one of the FAA repair scheme standards (that is become an FAA Repair Station).

Someone with more familiarity with FAA Repair Stations may be able to better answer your question.

J

Jenkibm

I know this is an old thread, BUT...

Are you planning to sell the seat covers as spare parts or only replace them while the aircraft is undergoing maintenance?

If you are a Part 145 Repair Station, you can replace parts with manufactured parts as long as the replacement part is equivalent to the original. This can be substantiated through testing or an approval from the OEM. The manufactured part must have its own part number identified on the tag and the original P/N must be displayed as well.

Since this is a seat (assuming that it has TSO)... You do not want to go the testing route. A statement from the Seat OEM stating that the structural integrity is maintained is sufficient.

If you want to sell the seat cover as a piece part, you may want to look at PMA.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S Certificate of Need (CON) and FDA Requirements US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 6
B Supplier Certificate Suspended in OASIS - Do we need stage 1 and 2 to reinstate cert? AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 2
S Does Contract Manufacturer need to issue Food Grade certificate for finished device? US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 1
B Outsource Production Line need ISO13485 Certificate ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
T Need Exclusions to be shown in ISO 9001 Certificate ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
P Certificate of Free Sales (CFS) - Need to attach to each lot of exported product? Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 2
J Which certificate do we need? - Expanding in the medical product market Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 9
G New gage calibrated at factory do I need the certificate? Calibration Frequency (Interval) 4
U-DOG Is there a need to notify your customers if your ISO 9001 certificate expires? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
A Which Subcontractors or Facilities need to be listed on a Quality System Certificate? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 11
D Training Certificate - I need a form that is in an award type presentation Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
R Certifications (Certificate) of calibration - Where do I need to have them? Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 16
C Certificate of Conformance Form - COC for each customer a controlled document? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
B Certificate Suspension? Shut down due to Covid-19 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 14
L Appears to be a certificate mill certificate ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 13
D ISO 9001 & AS9100 Certificate issued by a consultant for a Distributor Registrars and Notified Bodies 11
J CE Certificate and additional processing EU Medical Device Regulations 4
bryan willemot Chemical / physical certificate of conformance AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 4
B IATF certificate suspended - Who do we notify? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 6
F Calibration certificate content - Average Value and True Value ISO 17025 related Discussions 6
H What is different between PED certificate and CPR certificate? Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
C Migrate ISO 9001:2015 Certificate Registrars and Notified Bodies 4
M How to read a calibration certificate for thermo hygrometer General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
V Calibration certificate verification Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 3
A Calibration Certificate Results General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
A What if Contract Manufacturers does not have an ISO 13485 certificate? Where will the NB audit take place, at legal mfg. site or contract mfg. site? Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 3
E Calibration Certificate Content Requirements General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
M IATF 16949:2016 clause 8.4.2.3 - We don't have ISO 9001:2015 certificate IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 26
S Boeing D6-51991 Product Acceptance Software certificate and Artefact? AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 0
J COC (Certificate of Conformity) when NOT purchasing medical devices direct from the Manufacturer Other Medical Device Related Standards 2
P List of ISO certificate registrars around the world - ISO certification databases ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
F EC in EC certificate - Is it an EC Certificate or a CE certificate? CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 3
M Accredited Calibration Sevice Provider using computerized system to issue calibration certificate Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 3
K Inspection Certificate EN 10204 2.1 - Distribution company Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 4
M Accredited Calibration Sevice Provider using computerized system to issue calibration certificate General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
R Certificate of compliance to RoHS/REACH/WEEE - any such animal? REACH and RoHS Conversations 18
D CB Certificate - Distributor for a product with electrical components CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 4
P Non-Active Suppliers on CE Certificate EU Medical Device Regulations 2
A Interpretation of Article 16 (2b) - Packaging, samples and Certificate EU Medical Device Regulations 10
R List of countries that require only CE Mark certificate for product registration Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 2
K CFG (certificate of foreign government) Requestor Other US Medical Device Regulations 0
H Transferring an ISO 13485 certificate to a new CB - Do I have to start from scratch? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
GStough Informational SN EN ISO 9001:2015 and SN EN ISO 13485:2016 on Same Certificate? Registrars and Notified Bodies 7
M We still have not received our certificate due to a 'backlog' with our auditing body Registrars and Notified Bodies 25
T CE Certification Strategy - Expanding the validity of certificate EU Medical Device Regulations 1
T EN 10204 3.1 Inspection Certificate - Machine Shop Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 4
G Is the calibration due date of equipment used to be on calibration certificate ISO 17025 related Discussions 38
M Informational EU – MDCG 2018-8 – Guidance on Content of the certificates, voluntary certificate transfers Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
I Document Signature Software? (Certificate Authorities) Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 15
N PPAP material certificate date IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4