Which class I accessory information should be kept in the Technical File

shimonv

Trusted Information Resource
Hi fellows,
Say you have a class I make item accessory with its own design input/output files. Will you include the detailed accessories information (requirements, V&V, labeling, etc.) in the technical file or just a brief description in the Technical Files and complete details in a separate DHF record?

I believe the second option is correct, but would appreciate hearing what is your experience with NBs.

Thanks,
Shimon

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

rob73

looking for answers
We have a separate DHF for accessories, with a document in the main product DFH listing accessories that can be used with the main product and the location of the DHF for that accessory.

shimonv

Thanks Rob, good input.
So following this line of thought - do you have two technical files, one for the device with a brief description of the accessories and one for the accessories?

Thanks,
Shimon

rob73

looking for answers
Shimon
Yes, as Ronen points out each devices has to have its own DHF, even accessories. That's not to say you cannot group them if their intended use and design are the same. For instance we manufacture a range of disposables. They vary in size and port configuration but are basically the same device. These are grouped as a product family, the DHF for these references the accessories and their DHF.

Last edited:

shimonv

Thanks Rob and Ronen,
I am adding input from another colleague of mind which should wrap it up:

"If the accessory has its own CE Mark based on its own intended use, then it would have its own technical file since it's a class 1 self-declare.
If the accessory is part of the medical device system/family that is being CE Marked and dependent on the bigger system's intended use, then I would include the information in the bigger technical file."

Best,
Shimon

Ronen E

Problem Solver
If the accessory is part of the medical device system/family that is being CE Marked and dependent on the bigger system's intended use
In that case it might be an accessory in the everyday English meaning but it wouldn't qualify as an Accessory as defined by the MDD.

I was assuming all along we are discussing an Accessory in the MDD meaning.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
L Class II Accessory Labeling Conundrum US Medical Device Regulations 19
D Software as an accessory to a Class I medical device EU Medical Device Regulations 4
I Class I Medical Device Accessory with Actual Risk EU Medical Device Regulations 7
Q South Africa Class I Medical Device Accessory Registration Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 1
C Compatibility of a Class II exempted accessory with a Class III device US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 1
D Class I and Class II Medical Device Accessory Design Control Requirements US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 3
M UDI IVD Medical Device Class III US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 0
M Class Exempt Medical Device Recall Question US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 3
J Clinical Evaluation For Instruments - Class I, Class Ir, Class Im, and Class IIa - EU MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 4
XRAY_3121 Class II heating pad - does the power supply have to have IEC 60601-1 testing?? US Medical Device Regulations 5
T Testing for proving food safety on USP class vi material RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 0
N FDA class 2 Device QS Requirements US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 2
D Class I Shelf-life requirements EU Medical Device Regulations 5
K Class I Medical Device Registration EU Medical Device Regulations 11
dgrainger Informational Common Specifications for certain class D IVDs EU Medical Device Regulations 0
S BASIC UDI-DI for a class IIa device marketed in a Procedure kit EU Medical Device Regulations 1
M From Class 1 to Acessory EU Medical Device Regulations 4
Q Class I Medical Device with measuring function (UK MDR 2002 / MDD) UK Medical Device Regulations 3
R Class II Active Medical Device SYSTEMS and COMPONENTS Canada Medical Device Regulations 2
S Drawing Requirements for Catalog Items (Class II Medical Device) US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 3
M Labeling IVD Class III Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
H Mapping QMS+business processes in a medical device with class I and IIa+b Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 3
S Labeling requirements for class 1, fashion sunglasses US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 0
B Can a software that receive data from a MD be classified as Class I?or is not a MD? EU Medical Device Regulations 5
N Shelf life guidance EU MDR, class 1 and class 2 Medical Devices EU Medical Device Regulations 2
S Can a product option change the product class? CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 2
D Class III license: Add new device to the license system Canada Medical Device Regulations 1
P Servicing of Class IIb devices under MDD EU Medical Device Regulations 2
marmotte Help with Surgical Class I + 510(k) exemption US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 0
R Is "SAFE" permitted in class 1 medical device marketing claims? US Medical Device Regulations 1
D Shelf life of non sterile class IIb product. ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
ChrisM Class 1 non-sterile device, need certified QMS or not? EU Medical Device Regulations 2
S Reintroduce packaging component/med device from white room back to class 7 clean room Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
Steve Prevette I need a template to solve world hunger, a world class Quality Program, and make lots of money Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 5
Edward Reesor Class I non-sterile "Shelf Life" labeling (EU/UK) CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 4
T Class III device and shelf life data requirements US Medical Device Regulations 7
D Is sampling allowed for MDR Class III products? EU Medical Device Regulations 0
M Custom made class 1 Medical devices EU Medical Device Regulations 3
A Class IIb implantable-TD sampling plan EU Medical Device Regulations 0
D Proof QMS compliance for class I ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
M Metal parts bonding/grounding on Class II, internally powered with functional earth? IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 0
T FDA UDI Question - Class II Medical Device Other US Medical Device Regulations 2
B UKRP to what level should you audit Class I Technical Documentation? UK Medical Device Regulations 0
CharlieUK EU representative details on Class I device CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 3
A Import a MD Class IIa in the EU from China EU Medical Device Regulations 11
M MD Class I transition period MDD to MDR - changes? EU Medical Device Regulations 1
A Class 1 medical device - Thailand Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 0
J Shoe Covers - medical device class I EU Medical Device Regulations 3
L "Shelf-Life" Class I Non-Sterile Products Expiration Date? CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 3
S Stability sampling for Class 1 medical devices ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1