Which controlled documents should be labeled "Confidential and Proprietary"

tebusse

Involved In Discussions
I have a question regarding which controlled documents should be labeled "Confidential and Proprietary" vs. controlled documents that should be labeled "controlled copy."

Currently, my company has their printed master Quality Manuals and QOPs labeled "controlled copy" in the footer. These documents also exist in electronic form and are labeled "controlled copy." However, I believe the printed master documents should be labeled "Confidential and Proprietary" while the electronic documents be labeled "controlled copy." Is this the correct method of thinking?

Kindest regards.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

RoxaneB

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Re: Confidential and Proprietary

Hello, tebusse and welcome to the Cove.

There is no requirement (to my knowledge) to label a document as being a "controlled copy" or "Confidential and Proprietary". There is also no need to have printed master copies. If this is the route your organization is going, however, you are free to do so.

You could, within your document control protocols, further define what the difference is between "controlled" and "confidential and proprietary" as well as the areas where your organization will apply these labels.

qusys

Trusted Information Resource

I have a question regarding which controlled documents should be labeled "Confidential and Proprietary" vs. controlled documents that should be labeled "controlled copy."

Currently, my company has their printed master Quality Manuals and QOPs labeled "controlled copy" in the footer. These documents also exist in electronic form and are labeled "controlled copy." However, I believe the printed master documents should be labeled "Confidential and Proprietary" while the electronic documents be labeled "controlled copy." Is this the correct method of thinking?

Kindest regards.
It could be established in policy of yours and be a cross functional requirment that applies to all documentation of your QMS( procedure, work instruction, contracts, busniess plan, quality objective atc...etc..). ISO 9001 does not foresee this.
ISO TS has a clause for confidentiality in the launch of product and new project , under a contract with a customer, and related information on the product ( 7.1.3)

Wes Bucey

Quite Involved in Discussions

This seems to be a recurring question because folks confuse "control" (as intended by ISO) and "security" (having to do with restricting who may access a document.)

Control in the ISO sense has more to do with managing versions to assure obsolete versions don't confuse issues. Sometimes this means having a Process to physically gather and remove obsolete documents and replace them with current ones.

Some (not all) organizations have sensitive documents in their system for which [for various reasons] they want to restrict access. This restriction may only be from outsiders, but often organizations also want to restrict access within the organization.

The point I'm trying to make is that "control" applies to all the documents, but a subset of documents may also need to be "secure" or kept from unauthorized eyes or hands. Another type of security is allowing access to documents, but restricting who may alter a document - this aspect is really a part of "control" by protecting a document by preventing unauthorized versions from being circulated.

An organization has a responsibility to determine whether the additional level of security to prevent access is necessary for any given document. That document is either kept under lock and key [hard copy] or password protected [electronic copy.]

D

DMS_Discuss

Relating to this topic, can someone tell me whether it is wrong to label a document guideline?
What is the difference between a Guideline and a Policy?
Is it true that it is not mandatory to follow or comply a Guideline?

qusys

Relating to this topic, can someone tell me whether it is wrong to label a document guideline?
What is the difference between a Guideline and a Policy?
Is it true that it is not mandatory to follow or comply a Guideline?
Guideline is not prescriptive in all its content. For instance ISO 19001 is a guideline for auditing but it is not auditable in an an organization.
Policy is a document of an organization where the organization usually set higher level standard across its site/functions. The organization shall complay and there can be other documents of the documental pyramid that are of lower level and cannot go in contrast with it.
Hope this helps:bigwave:

D

DMS_Discuss

Thanks for the reply.
Do you have any guide of when I should use Guideline instead of Policy?

qusys

Thanks for the reply.
Do you have any guide of when I should use Guideline instead of Policy?
I think there are no guidelines, but for this I ask for the further support of other expert Covers.
According to my experience and working knowledge, Policy is internally established from an organization and it has to be followed . Organization usually communicates it through many ways ( email, training, quality manual, meeting with mgmt ect.), guidelines could come from externally , for example not prescriptive standards, such as ISO 19011, ISO 9004, AIAG Blue Book related to SPC, FMEA, APQP etc, that an organization can decide to have as a guideline in totally or in part to build up internal processes of QMS. However , if an organization signs an agreement with customer to use AIAG standards or internally decide to adopt it in applicable item, the guideline becomes prescriptive and it can be compared as a procedure or policy to be followed.
Hope this helps:bigwave:

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
M Should Internal Audit Checklists be Controlled Documents? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 9
P Should Forms printed for daily use in the shop floor be controlled documents? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 16
N Should software be controlled in the same manner as documents? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 18
S Which documents in the DHF (Design History File) should be controlled? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
J Control of templates (ISO9001) - Should templates be controlled documents or not? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
C MSDS Sheets in ISO-14001 2004 - Should MSDS sheets be "controlled documents"? ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 22
J Controlled information versus defined documents / records ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
I Dating controlled documents after changes - Revision History Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 13
I R&D prototype documents need to be controlled? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
D Controlled Documents & Note Making ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
Uriel Alejandro Including "Internal Rules" as Controlled Documents in a QMS Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 7
R How to Cross-Reference Controlled Documents Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
LeonelAguilar352 Specific Question about Printing Controlled Documents. ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
C Control of Records - Differences between Controlled Documents and Controlled Records Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 18
Q Modification in Controlled Documents AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 4
J Employee Contracts : Controlled and Uncontrolled Documents Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 6
R Part Prints - Controlled and Uncontrolled Documents (e.g.: The Production Floor) Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 13
F ISO 9001:2008 Fundamentals: Basic Questions - Controlled Documents ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 16
A Do controlled documents require a signature on every page as per 21 CFR 820.40? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 5
X Documents required by the quality management system shall be controlled ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 12
A How are Electronic Editable Documents Controlled Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 7
K Printed documents can't be controlled Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 16
C Documents not controlled by the ECO (Engineering Change Order) process ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
J Are SPC Charts Controlled Documents according to TS 16949? Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 4
G Document Control-AS9100 - Marking of Documents as Master Copy of Controlled Copy AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 3
S Document Control - Different documents which must be controlled not identified Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 11
R Controlled Documents vs. Signage Papers (ie, reminders, general information) Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
J Add Safety Policies/LOTO/etc. to Controlled Documents? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 9
Q Documents uncontrolled when printed, if is not printed is controlled? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 4
N Controlled Documents Distribution Query - Home Care Company ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
N Is this footer okay for our Controlled Documents? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 14
B What to include on Controlled Documents that are managed Electronically? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
H Document Control Defined? Determining what documents must be controlled ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 15
T Inheriting Another Company's Controlled Documents? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 4
M AS9100 Clause 4.2.3 requirements - Documents required by the QMS shall be Controlled AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 13
A Are Job Descriptions and Organizational Charts Controlled Documents? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 13
A Document Control File - Identifying all documents which need to be controlled Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 11
T Controlled Documents - Can a word document and excel spreadsheet be controlled? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 5
J Lock-out / Tag-Out Procedures as Quality Controlled Documents? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 25
W Electronic Distribution of Controlled Documents: Validation required? Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 5
E Wiki vs. Controlled Documents - Eliminating Conflicts Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 5
B Stamping Documents as "Controlled Copy" - Clause 4.2.3 Document Control Stamp Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 17
A Equipment List - Control or not to Control (Controlled Documents) Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 8
A List of controlled documents for ISO9001:2008 Call / Contact Center ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
B Electronic Copies of previous versions of Controlled Documents in editable format Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
M All Internally Generated Documents ? Required to be Controlled or Not All? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 19
M Reissue of controlled documents - No changes identified Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
B Printed Copies of Controlled Documents Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 9
Bilijaf "Controlled" stamp for Controlled Documents - Any alternatives? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 17
P Removal of Obsolete copies of Controlled Documents ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 8