Which items require Calibration?

G

Gerald631

If you visited the Company I work for you would see a lot of air/nitrogen/oxygen pressure regulators and bourdon gauges on the wall as well as shelves of air and water rotameters. These are used for setting up pressure switches and flow rates on machines which we sell to customers in the semiconductor process gas treatment field. An external auditor has said that I must get all these gauges and rotameters calibrated. However, some regulators and gauges are only used to apply pneumatic power to a block to operate valves - no measurement or reading is recorded in this instance. You might set the pressure to approx. 4 bar on the wall for instance and that would be good enough. I know you could argue that I don't know if it really is 4 bar if I haven't had the gauge calibrated for 10 years but that's part of an on going argument which I'm embroiled in. I agree that some gauges and rotameters do need calibrating because I record or observe a reading from them. Those which don't you could argue don't need calibration. Another instance is where I need to provide a purge to something through a flowmeter - basically to pass a gas flow through something to get rid of any remnants of a previous gas or to keep things moving in a pipeline to stop condensation of particulates blocking the line. You could argue that no calibration is required here, just a nitogen supply of about the right value. In fact there are FOR INDICATION ONLY stickers you can buy to apply to intruments used in cases like this. I wonder if anyone else has experience of this problem as people often ask me why I am calibrating something.

Thanks

Gerald Curling (Gerald631) Bristol UK:(

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

harry

Super Moderator
Re: Which items need calibrating?

An external auditor has said that I must get all these gauges and rotameters calibrated.
Welcome to the Cove.

For a start, could you tell us if your organization is certified to any particular standards? Where does this external auditor come from? - Client or third party certification body?

Colin

Quite Involved in Discussions
Welcome to the Cove Gerald :bigwave:

Here is my take on the situation - I'll assume that we might be talking about ISO 9001. Clause 7.6 states "... determine the monitoring and measurement to be undertaken and measuring equipment needed to provide evidence of conformity of product to determined requirements".

Therefore, if the equipment is being used to verify that the product meets stated requirements, it probably needs calibrating - unless it will be checked again at a later stage by calibrated equipment.

If the equipment is only being used as a guide, then it should be marked as such e.g. 'not calibrated' stickers are often used.

G

Gerald631

harry

Thanks for your reply and welcoming me to the Cove. I think that it is client auditor (Intel) insisting on all this calibration.

Yours

Gerald Curling, Bristol UK

G

George Weiss

Intel does ask for good work, and I have done some ISO-17025 work for them.
They are asking for you to improve your process with calibrated equipment as often as possible.
There is the blanket comment of, "if it is in the process, then calibrate it".
This becomes a bit extreme, and each situation is different.
Because Intel is a large steady moving company, it would be good to have a strategic talk with them.
Getting an idea of their plans for your company.
Maybe your company would become ISO-17025 in the future to comply with their needs.
You have been asked to calibrate your equipment. Intel is getting you to look at your-self.
Inventory of your gages and other equipment is a good step.
Determining the impact of these gages in the process is another.
This analysis will begin to develop a process flow and requirements outline.
Marking some as for "indication only" is a good idea, once you know that that gage is doing.
Don't forget safety regulations also.

Last edited by a moderator:
G

Gerald631

Colpart

Thanks for your reply. I have placed FOR INDICATION ONLY stickers on items which I don't think need calibrating, although some people would argue about whether an item needs calibration or not. For instance, I perform air leak checks on certain items of equipment by pressurising to 16 in. W.G. as read on a bourdon gauge and then checking that the pressure doesn't drop by more 0.5 in. in 10 mins. on the gauge. Some people argue that it doesn't matter how accurate the gauge is - as long as the needle moves up and down with pressure then that's all you require from it in this application. Others argue that you would need some confidence that the gauge can read the right values to a certain accuracy, implying that calibration is necessary. Anyway, I'll make these decisions on an item by item basis and see what the auditor's opinion is on the subject.

Thanks

BradM

Staff member
Admin
Hello, Gerald!!:bigwave:If I may...I do encourage you to frame your decisions based on what is best for your process. Let the auditor's thoughts/ opinions be second. ;):)

Thanks for your reply. I have placed FOR INDICATION ONLY stickers on items which I don't think need calibrating, although some people would argue about whether an item needs calibration or not.
True that. :agree1: We have had many discussions here about the use of For Reference Only stickers. I happen to be in the camp to use them. However, regardless of whether you use them or not, all calibrated items should be clearly marked. Stated differently: If I need a calibrated instrument, I should know how to find it and assure its calibration is current. However you choose to accomplish that is up to you.:)

For instance, I perform air leak checks on certain items of equipment by pressurising to 16 in. W.G. as read on a bourdon gauge and then checking that the pressure doesn't drop by more 0.5 in. in 10 mins. on the gauge. Some people argue that it doesn't matter how accurate the gauge is - as long as the needle moves up and down with pressure then that's all you require from it in this application. Others argue that you would need some confidence that the gauge can read the right values to a certain accuracy, implying that calibration is necessary.
Now I'm confused. :) Do the readings of the gauge matter? In your example, (You have W.G.; is that W.C.?) what if the gauge is off by... 2 inches? 4 inches?? When does the error matter? If it never matters, then no harm no foul. Otherwise... it matters. :D

Now.... there are many different avenues other than "calibration". It's not too difficult doing verifications on analog gauges. You can buy a standard, build a manifold out of P.V.C., get a tank of Nitrogen (or other inert gas), and verify your pressure gauges, up to however many at a time that you choose. Obviously there's a little bit more than that, but you get the idea.

Make decisions based on optimizing your process, document it, have the procedures reflect as such, and consistently practice it. Your auditor should be OK with that. :agree1:

G

Gerald631

Brad M

Oh yeah, sorry, I meant water column (W.C.). Thanks for your reply. I'll use the "when does it matter" argument to justify calibration or not in the future.

BradM

Staff member
Admin
Brad M

Oh yeah, sorry, I meant water column (W.C.). Thanks for your reply. I'll use the "when does it matter" argument to justify calibration or not in the future.

Gerald, thank you for checking in your posts, and for the response. :agree1: Good luck, and a Happy New Year to you.:)

Please come back anytime you have any questions.:)

harry

Super Moderator

..................... Thanks for your reply and welcoming me to the Cove. I think that it is client auditor (Intel) insisting on all this calibration. ...................
Thanks for the reply. The reason I asked is because if there is certification to a particular standard, then there are 'generally accepted' interpretations to fall back to. However, if it is audit by your clients, then is generally between you and them and you will have to convince or negotiate with them.

Your approach (mentioned in the thread on primary/secondary standards) is logical and may be used for further discussion with them.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
G TS 16949 Clause 8.2.4.2 - Appearance Items require special controls IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
C Contract Review with Multiple Line items ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 7
C Documentation for items used for Design Verification 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 4
G ISO 17025-2017 Management Review reporting items - Inputs ISO 17025 related Discussions 1
nadhar2 Classification of Action Items Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 3
DuncanGibbons Best practice for identifying "items" of parts for DFMEA analysis AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 2
D Determining Calibration Frequency schedule for items used in production Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
F IEC 62304 - Segregation and communication between software items IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 1
G Reporting measurement uncertainty for custom items Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 2
M IEC 62304 - Develop an Architecture for the Interfaces of Software Items IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 8
C AS9100 8.3.5.e Design and Development Outputs - Key Characteristics / Critical Items AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 2
D Supplier Scorecard, Assessment of Pass Through Items From Sub Tier Suppliers Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 4
C Per IEC 62304, are DHF documents Configuration Items? IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 5
J APQP Requirements - What is meant by "among other items" IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
N Timing for Closing High FMEA RPN Items FMEA and Control Plans 4
R Polypropylene Packaging for Food items Design and Development of Products and Processes 2
J Software and Methods for Tracking CAPA (Corrective and Preventive Action) items US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 3
K What technical documents need to be maintained for "manufactured for" items 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 8
D NQA-1 Standard Applied to Services rather than Items for Nuclear Power Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 3
M How to identify software configuration items in a BOM Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 3
SteveK Interesting Medical Device Database Site (666,413 items listed) Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 1
I Requirements for shipping items that fall under the Cartagena Protocol Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 4
N ISO 17025 clause 5.8.3 Records of Non-Conforming Test Items ISO 17025 related Discussions 3
S Not accepting Flowdowns for COTS Items AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 3
M Shelf Life Control and Identification of items that do not have Shelf Life ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
O Process Startup Only items in a Control Plan FMEA and Control Plans 1
G How to manage/control critical items and key characteristics? AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 1
Q Identifying Critical Items and Key Characteristics - Product Realization Process AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 8
AnaMariaVR2 The TSA Is Now Instragramming Items They Confiscate Travel - Hotels, Motels, Planes and Trains 5
A Segregation of Software Items on a Medical Device IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 4
K Is there an overall standard for calibration of items used in TS 16949 Certified Co. IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
R What is the optimum number of check items should an inspector look into a product? Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 6
K Sampling Plan for Small Lots of Single Use Items Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 8
M Record Retention requirements for Safety Items Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 7
M 8.2.4.2 Appearance Items - When Masters for Colour, Grain, etc are not appropriate? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 6
R Always Internal Audit all Line Items of applicable FDA Regulations? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 5
C Are Purchase Orders required for all items? AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 11
Q FDA Bacteriological Analytical Manual (BAM) - Health Care Items Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 1
B PFMEA Line Items for Poka-Yoke (Mistake Proofing) and Scans FMEA and Control Plans 2
K Opportunities for Improvement - Proposed Items in Management Review Meetings Management Review Meetings and related Processes 4
M Can Resell Items be sold as ISO certified? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
T Detailed Product Images for the Off the Shelf Items Other Medical Device Related Standards 2
L What typical items do auditors bring to Opening Meetings Internal Auditing 4
K Incoming (Receiving) Inspection for Commodity Items used in Medical Devices ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 11
B Material Review Board for non-production related items Manufacturing and Related Processes 5
K Software Items - Each module has its own software IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 10
C BS EN ISO 12952-1 thru 4 - Test methods for burning behaviour of bedding items Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 2
K Seeking a sample spreadsheet - Inventory of items with 2 units Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
D CMM vs. Measuring Arm for both Large and Small Items Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 26
G What should be in the Quality Open Items Register Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 5