Which kind of document is the Quality Policy?

S

selena15

Hi Cove
I'm missing the cove
I hope that all of you are in good health and mood :)
I have a question
I want to make a code title to our quality policy, for that, i have to define which kind of document it is. It make sens to take it as a record as well as it will not be changed until the next revision ?
thanks in advance
selena

Colin

Quite Involved in Discussions
Re: which kind of document

I generally think of records as evidence of something that has happened (past tense) whereas a document is live and must be kept current. On that basis I suggest that your quality policy is a document. It is subject to change and it is necessary to ensure that people have access to the correct version.

S

selena15

I'm agree with you Colpart about what is a record. But as well as our documentation system require to define the kind of the document ( WI, procedure, Record, Forms, specifications...etc ) this is why i think to make it as record. i know that normally the record is kept in store or what ever when the Quality policy is alive document but which kind of document it is ?
specifications as one fellow suggested ??

Colin

Why worry about what type of document it is? It doesn't matter - it's a document which requires control - leave it there is my suggestion.

A

Al Hector

Hi Selena,

I agree with Colpart that quality policy is a document and not a record.

If you really want a classification of documents maybe you shoud add to your system a new typ of document such as quality policy.

Alin

S

selena15

Ok thank you
I will see what can i do :frust:

:thanx:

Q

qualitymanager

I generally think of records as evidence of something that has happened (past tense) whereas a document is live and must be kept current. On that basis I suggest that your quality policy is a document. It is subject to change and it is necessary to ensure that people have access to the correct version.

One way to look at it is that the (documented) Quality Policy is a record that shows evidence that an organization has met the requirements of ISO 9001 4.2.1 (a).

Another is that it is a Policy-level document which sets the framework for establishing Quality Objectives, thus it is an input to (and possibly higher-level than) the Quality Objectives. So you can put it "above" the class for Quality Objectives.

Colpart, you are using the term "document" with a different meaning than in the standard (4.2.3):

Records are a special type of document and shall be controlled according to the requirements given in 4.2.4.

Colin

Re: Which kind of document (is the Quality Policy?)

Quality Manager, I think you are confusing the issue unnecessarily with your comment about the policy being a record. Using the same logic, should we say that the internal audit procedure is evidence of meeting the requirement of clause 8.2.2? I don't think so myself.

I differentiate the terms document and record to avoid the confusion. I think the fact that the requirement you quote in 4.2.3 points us to 4.2.4 is evidence enough don't you?

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin

...our documentation system require to define the kind of the document ( WI, procedure, Record, Forms, specifications...etc ) this is why i think to make it as record.

You have a problem with the system requirements. If you're forced to categorize documents and you have one that doesn't fit into any of the prescribed categories, you need to get rid of the idea of categories altogether (the best idea) or create a new category. Calling something a record that's not a record isn't the answer.

Top Bottom