Which Notified Body to Choose in the EU

Remus

Involved In Discussions
Hello, at September 2013 European commission published recommendations for Notified bodies. After that European Commission started to audit Notified Bodies. As a result of this audits some of Notified Bodies accredition withdrawn and others got expiry dates.

All of the products, The company I worked, are OBL and all of the OEM companies have diffrent NB'ies. And EC havent controlled our NB yet, and in my opion they will lose their accreditation or they will get expiry date. So what shall I do? Where can I see the NB audit results? Its very important for me because we have around 90 Technical File and If our NB lose their accretitaion we cant get a new one in short time.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

NikkiQSM

Quite Involved in Discussions
Transfer to another NB. Doing it now is best if you fear your current NB will lose their accred.

You would have to provide some documentation and they will have to review your current certification - but starting now is best before you find out its too late.

Here is some info I found:

Prerequisites for Transferring Notified Bodies
To transfer notified bodies, a manufacturer should have some documents and certificates at the ready for the new notified body to validate. Additionally, there are a few more prerequisites for a manufacturer or distributor to transfer notified bodies. To transfer notified bodies, the manufacturer or distributor must have:

• Valid certificates for the products;
  • The address for the manufacturing sites, which must be the same as those on the valid certificates;
  • The devices must be within the same scope of the previous certificates;
  • There must be no threat to the certificates, meaning the certificates must not be predicated on fixing non-conformities; and
  • Enough time to transfer the certificates.[6]
It is reasonable to assume, however, that some manufacturers may not have all these necessary documents. [Contact us] to talk to one of our expert technical staff for more information on how to transfer notified bodies.
Important Documents to Include
When transferring notified bodies, the manufacturer should include in their file:

• All current cycle audit reports from the previous notified body;
  • All certificates for the product that will be transferred;
  • A letter from the manufacturer authorizing the transfer;
  • A report of any non-conformities and the action plan to fix any non-conformities; and
  • A report of any adverse events, like customer complaints and recalls, since the last audit.
These documents will give the new notified body a full view of the product and the previous assessments in order to best provide manufacturers and authorized representatives a full view of the services that the new notified body can offer. Even though this may raise the price of transferring for the manufacturer, further proof of a conforming product is never a bad thing for the manufacturer’s bottom line.

Sarah Stec

Involved In Discussions
The NB audit reports aren't publicly available. If you are worried about whether or not your NB is going to make it in the end, you may want to look into transferring sooner rather than later.

The info that Nikki gave above is correct (it's one of my NB's publications :agree1:), and another document you can look at is the NBOG Best Practices Guide for transferring notified bodies. It gives some information about what should happen when an NB loses its notification.

Remus

Involved In Discussions
I have just changed my job, in my old job I have worked with several notified bodies. Now in my new company everything is much easier :) But it shouldn't be after 2013 EC Recommendations. Anyway they will be auidit soon.

pkost

Trusted Information Resource
There are many different notified bodies, with many different standards (I know they should all be the same), some better than others. The notified bodies that have had their status withdrawn were notoriously. I would hope that if an NB is salvagable the competent authority would issue correctiv actions and give them an opportunity to improve

I don't know your exact circumstances, but I would want pretty convincing evidence of an imminent failure before approving a change of NB for 90 technical files...If I were to move 90 of my technical files the project costs would easily run into 7 figures, 8 would not be a surprise. (resource, artwork, printing, supply chain management, write off etc. etc.)

Is there nothing you can do to reassure yourself? Arrange a meeting with the NB at their head office - discuss with them your concerns and ask them what they are doing to protect their business from the changing regulatory environment?

As a new employee, If you change notified body, incur massive costs on the basis of a potential failure, then in 12 months the notified body is still up and running and your new NB is much stricter, I would not like to bet on your chances of working for that company for another 12 months!

Remus

Involved In Discussions
I have talked with top management, I have explained the situation. We decide to w8, their audit. The good thing is most of our prodcuts are OBL, and also we can sell them as distributors.

So I am w8ing now, but I start to update technical files.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
P Notified Body Approval of Change EU Medical Device Regulations 2
K Adding the Notified Body Number CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 2
A NB (Notified Body) Audit of Standards ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
J Conflict of Interest Registrar/Notified Body/Testing House Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 4
R Change Notification - Registrar vs Notified body ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
Watchcat "Disappeared" Linkedin Notified Body Rant EU Medical Device Regulations 2
M Notified Body audits -Class Ia medical device product EU Medical Device Regulations 4
R Notified Body for MDD 1Q20 - Florida Company Registrars and Notified Bodies 4
M Informational EU – New notified body designated under the MDR – NB 2797 BSI Group The Netherlands B.V. Netherlands Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M Informational EU – New notified body designated under the MDR – NB 1912 – DARE!! Services B.V. – Netherlands Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
N Customer asking if their notified body can audit us ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
N MDR review process by notified body - How many steps exist in the review process EU Medical Device Regulations 0
Ed Panek CAPA against Notified Body? EU Medical Device Regulations 5
M Informational EU – First IVDR designated Notified Body – DEKRA Certification GmbH Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
N Regular meetings with Notified Body EU Medical Device Regulations 13
M Informational EU – New designated Notified Body under the MDR – TÜV Rheinland LGA Products GmbH Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M Informational New designated Notified Body for Regulation (EU) 2017/745 (MDR) included in Nando – IMQ ISTITUTO ITALIANO DEL MARCHIO DI QUALITÀ S.P.A. Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 3
M Informational EU – Next Notified Body designated to the MDR 2017/475 is IMQ S.p.A from Italy Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M Informational EU – DEKRA Certification GmbH is the third Notified Body designated under the MDR Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
JoshuaFroud The withdrawal of Lloyd’s Register MDD & IVDD Notified Body Status CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 1
M Measurement Unit Rounding Nonconformity - Notified Body Audit Registrars and Notified Bodies 6
M Informational From RAPS – Another Notified Body Bows Out Ahead of EU MDR: ‘Investment Too High’ Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 2
M Authorized Rep (AR), competent authority, NCA and notified body - Differences EU Medical Device Regulations 9
R How long to wait for Notified Body Response - Potentially significant change to a medical device CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 6
M Informational New Notified Body designated under the MDR – TÜV SÜD Product Service GmbH Zertifizierstellen Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 1
shimonv Non-significant notice of change to notified body EU Medical Device Regulations 4
S Difficulty Finding A Notified Body for CE Marking - No Capacity Registrars and Notified Bodies 5
P Notified body located in an other country than manufacturing company ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
M BSI – Want to know more about the Notified Body? Registrars and Notified Bodies 0
M Start-Up Company looking for ISO 13485 Certification Body and Medical Device CE Mark Notified Body Registrars and Notified Bodies 6
M Medical Device News BSI achieves Designation for its Netherlands Medical Devices Notified Body EU Medical Device Regulations 2
C Attestation of QA certificate from foreign (EU) Notified Body Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 6
D Notified body - CE Certification Class 2a Products in India CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 4
M Notified Body Involvement with Self Declared Products EU Medical Device Regulations 7
C QR Code on Medical Device Packaging and Notification to Notified Body EU Medical Device Regulations 1
H Clinical investigation - Role of Notified Body (NB) EU Medical Device Regulations 6
S Certification Body, Registrar, Notified Body - What is the difference? Registrars and Notified Bodies 3
D CE Mark with same NB (Notified Body)? CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 4
Sam Lazzara Expedited, fast-track Notified Body Technical File reviews EU Medical Device Regulations 3
Sam Lazzara Notified Body CE Project Manager - Worst job ever? EU Medical Device Regulations 6
K Notified Body - Minor Nonconformances - They have withheld all certificates General Auditing Discussions 3
R Non-Conformity Report from Notified Body - MEDDEV Guide is not Legally Binding EU Medical Device Regulations 16
JoCam Required Frequency of Notified Body reviews of Technical Files EU Medical Device Regulations 6
R ISO 13485 Certificate Scope modified by Notified Body EU Medical Device Regulations 9
S Literature Search - Notified Body Had Questions About our Rationale CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 9
M Notified Body (NB) Audits of Sub-Contractors and Critical Suppliers EU Medical Device Regulations 35
C Class I Reusable Surgical Instruments - CE Mark with the Notified Body number EU Medical Device Regulations 14
C Moving to a different Notified Body Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 5
A What to expect in a Design Dossier Review for CE Marking by a Notified Body CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 3
D Experience with Notified Body - ITC from Czech Republic for Medical Devices Registrars and Notified Bodies 15