Which OEM or customers are now requiring the new AIAG/VDA FMEA format?

sealteamrick87

Starting to get Involved
I am also curious as to which OEM's are starting to implement the new AIAG/VDA FMEA. Is there a way to figure this out without contacting the actual OEM?

Johnny Quality

Quite Involved in Discussions
I do not believe any of the IATF members require the AIAG/VDA FMEA format as of yet.

This is quoted from FCA US Customer Specific Requirements

Organizations preparing DFMEAs should follow the AIAG Potential Failure Mode and Effects Analysis (FMEA). The AIAG/VDA Failure Mode and Effects Analysis (FMEA), Design FMEA and Process FMEA Handbook may be used, with analysis documented on the alternate form (Form B).

I do not remember any of the other IATF members mentioning the new format.

June this year it will be two years since it was released. None of my customers (Tier 1 auto exterior) have requested this format and any questions I ask on the subject go unanswered. I asked our 3rd party auditor if any of their other clients use the new format and they said no. For context I am in the UK, but from what I see I'm wondering they went to the trouble of developing a new format if I don't know anyone who mandates its use.

Pavel Umnyagin

Registered
Hello!

Is it required to implement this new AIAG/VDA FMEA's handbook to maintain IATF 16949 certification? We are tier 2 suppliers, our customers don't don't provide specific requirements on this matter.

Pavel.

Howard Atkins

Forum Administrator
Leader
Admin
Hello!

Is it required to implement this new AIAG/VDA FMEA's handbook to maintain IATF 16949 certification? We are tier 2 suppliers, our customers don't don't provide specific requirements on this matter.

Pavel.
No
The standard just says FMEA with no definition of how to do it.
If your customers do not specify then as you like it

Mikey324

So far, all my customers have asked me not to use the new AIAG/VDA format. Most have, off the record, said they hope they never have to request it.

Johnny Quality

New CSR's from Stellantis Groupe PSA available here.

Which OEM or customers are now requiring the new AIAG/VDA FMEA format?

The first of many to finally recommend the AIAG/VDA format?

bpritts

Involved - Posts
Ford just updated their "CSR" regarding FMEA's. They do NOT mandate the new format but will accept it... provided that one still complies with Ford's internal FMEA manual. I have not dug deeply enough to see if that's possible or not.

And, beware Ford suppliers - several new FMEA requirements including "foundation FMEA" - a separate "family" oriented FMEA intended to be generic for a process, and "reverse FMEA" - basically conducting an "as built" review of new processes to make sure all failure modes are captured.

ifitsinks

Registered
Howard, help me understand who requires the new FMEA/VDA. My understanding is Ford, GM, FCA, Honda, anyone else? Does the software have to link DFMEA to PFMEA, to Control plan for subsuppliers and then to customers?

Johnny Quality

GM's CSR's on the IATF website do not dictate a methodology for FMEA.

FCA US's CSR's on the IATF website state FMEA's should follow the AIAG 4th edition but the AIAG/VDA format may be used.

I find the situation very odd that we're nearly 4 years down the road not all the IATF OEM's are on board.

Top Bottom