Which PA's in the CMMi model are required?

C

CSQELAS

Hi - my first post out here other than my introduction post.

Does anyone know which PA's in the CMMi model are required? For example, our organization doesn't have any Supplier Management activities, so I would like to waive the SAM PA, however, I'm sure we have to do CM, M&A, etc. Are organizations allowed to make decisions based on their business? I'm trying to provide justification to upper level management for implementing some PA's over others. I want to be able to say "CMMi says we have to do XXX, but we don't have to do XXX". Thanks.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
D

Daksh

Does anyone know which PA's in the CMMi model are required? For example, our organization doesn't have any Supplier Management activities, so I would like to waive the SAM PA, however, I'm sure we have to do CM, M&A, etc. Are organizations allowed to make decisions based on their business? I'm trying to provide justification to upper level management for implementing some PA's over others. I want to be able to say "CMMi says we have to do XXX, but we don't have to do XXX". Thanks.
I Think you can take exclusions in CMM-I too but that is limited to Supplier Agreement Management (If there is no supplier management activities performed by the organization)

Fir exact details, you have to go through the some Appraisal requirement document which is available on SEI website

A

arin_23

Does anyone know which PA's in the CMMi model are required? For example, our organization doesn't have any Supplier Management activities, so I would like to waive the SAM PA, however, I'm sure we have to do CM, M&A, etc. Are organizations allowed to make decisions based on their business? I'm trying to provide justification to upper level management for implementing some PA's over others. I want to be able to say "CMMi says we have to do XXX, but we don't have to do XXX". Thanks.[\QUOTE]

Dear CSQELAS,

IMHO SAM is a very tricky PA. It can not be so easily written off. It entirely depends on your business perspective whether you are required to omit SAM or not.

The SP 1.1 of SAM tells you about determination of acquisition type and as per CMMI model for development V 1.2 examples of acquisition can be of following types:

1. Purchasing commercial off-the-shelf products - Typical HW / SW purchases made in a turnkey project development / maintenance;

2.Obtaining product through a contractual agreement - Typical example is outsourced software development, out sourced training activity related to the project etc.;

3.Obtaining products from an in house vendor - Not very common apart from very big organizations;

4. Obtaining products from the customer - Typical example is a re engineering project, in which you get the artifacts from the customer ( the customer here acting as a supplier ;))

5.Combination of some or all of the above.

Generally it is ideal to have DAR for determining the acquisition type involving the SEPG & Middle management.

Please be careful while writing of SAM or else you may end up in a mess during the SCAMPI's.

Happy implementing.

Regards,

Arindam

A

arin_23

Dear CSQELAS,

IMHO SAM is a very tricky PA. It can not be so easily written off. It entirely depends on your business perspective whether you are required to omit SAM or not.

The SP 1.1 of SAM tells you about determination of acquisition type and as per CMMI model for development V 1.2 examples of acquisition can be of following types:

1. Purchasing commercial off-the-shelf products - Typical HW / SW purchases made in a turnkey project development / maintenance;

2.Obtaining product through a contractual agreement - Typical example is outsourced software development, out sourced training activity related to the project etc.;

3.Obtaining products from an in house vendor - Not very common apart from very big organizations;

4. Obtaining products from the customer - Typical example is a re engineering project, in which you get the artifacts from the customer ( the customer here acting as a supplier ;))

5.Combination of some or all of the above.

Generally it is ideal to have DAR for determining the acquisition type involving the SEPG & Middle management.

Please be careful while writing of SAM or else you may end up in a mess during the SCAMPI's.

Happy implementing.

Regards,

Arindam

A

Ashok GS

Hello,

I hope by now you understand that the CMMI model has two ways of adopting in an organization.

Namely Staged and Continuous Representation.

So as per the model, if you choose Staged Representation, the organization has no choice to omit PA’s at relevant maturity levels. Provided SAM is the only process area that can be excluded.

The good part is that if the organization chooses to adopt Continuous Representation, it has the flexibility to choose PA’s from any level to acquire to the relevant capability level.

These are clearly mentioned in the model. Please find the link below to download the same.

http://www.sei.cmu.edu/cmmi/tools/dev/download.cfm

Hope this clarifies. :agree1:

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
E CMMI (Capability Maturity Model Integration) - questions Software Quality Assurance 5
R CMMI (Capability Maturity Model Integration) - Ever heard CMMI? Software Quality Assurance 5
S How do I learn CMMI (Capability Maturity Model Integration)? Software Quality Assurance 4
M CMMI (capability maturity model) vs. SQA (software quality assurance) vs. ISO 9001 Software Quality Assurance 2
A Detail info on CMMI - Capability Maturity Model Integration for Software Software Quality Assurance 15
H ISO 9001 / CMMI (SEI's Capablity Maturity Model) mapping - Software development Software Quality Assurance 2
J CMMI - Software 'Capability Maturity Model Integration' and Overlapping Waterfall Software Quality Assurance 1
Marc CMMI in Software - Capability Maturity Model Integration Software Quality Assurance 20
D IATF 16949 Requirement for CMMI in a Global Company Elsmar Cove Forum Suggestions, Complaints, Problems and Bug Reports 0
P How to Scientifically Prove the Importance of a Process - CMMI Process Areas Software Quality Assurance 7
A Software FMEA with CMMI FMEA and Control Plans 6
A Where to define Process Tailoring Form used in CMMI in the ISO 9001 Quality Manual? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
K CMMI Roadmap - The process of implementing CMMI Level 3 Software Quality Assurance 5
B Basics of the CMMI Standard Software Quality Assurance 3
S Software Company wants CMMI Software Quality Assurance 4
2 Expectations of CMMI High Maturity seem to have become less Ambiguous Software Quality Assurance 1
P What Documentation is required for CMMI? Examples wanted Software Quality Assurance 3
P Can anyone give samples of goals set of an organization for CMMI 5 Level Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 1
P An IMS organization can integrate CMMI with IMS ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
P Only Software companies eligible to take CMMI? Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 11
G SEI CMMI Dev v1.3 - Defined (ML2) and Managed (ML3) Process Areas Software Quality Assurance 1
S Mapping CMMI to FDA Requirements IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 5
Q CMMI Level 2 Procedure for Design & Development Program Software Quality Assurance 1
V CMMI - When you release audit and configuration audit, who will do audit? Software Quality Assurance 4
V CMMI - When do you do the Configuration Audit and Who will do that audit? Software Quality Assurance 5
2 ISO 9001 should be implemented before CMMI for maximum effectiveness? Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 2
D Tools for CMMI Rating the SCAMPI approach Software Quality Assurance 1
I CMMI Overview please Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 2
L ISO 9001:2000 and CMMI v1.2 Integration and Org Deployment ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
A Alternative Selection Excel .xls Template - ISO 9001 and CMMI (DAR Process Area) Excel .xls Spreadsheet Templates and Tools 1
S Is there any sample/Draft procedures, manuals checklist for CMMI Software Quality Assurance 2
F How to conduct CMMI appraisal Class C Software Quality Assurance 4
V Getting CMMI level 4 & 5 is not a cake walk now! Software Quality Assurance 2
V CMMI V1.2 -Dev + IPPD appraisals Software Quality Assurance 1
A CMMI 3 - Software - Where we have to save all these documents Software Quality Assurance 4
L Document Hierarchy Structure for Documents Compliant in ISO 9001 and CMMI Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 23
R How does DRBFM fit into CMMI framework? Software Quality Assurance 8
A CMMI Mapping - The abbrivations under the CMM PA Software Quality Assurance 4
R CMMI Details - Seeking Details or Conversation Software Quality Assurance 2
W Pratt & Whitney Model C Supermic Digital Tailstock Meter Upgrade General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
A Applying agile model for Computer system Validation Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 3
L How to deal with the model number symbol for X-RAY PRODUCT Other Medical Device Related Standards 1
P Arena simulation, How can my Arena model have exactly the same output each time I run it? Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 0
J UDI-DI how should we interpret Device version or model to determine if a new UDI-DI is needed? EU Medical Device Regulations 0
K PDCA cycle and ISO processes alternative model Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 14
B Cybersecurity Maturity Model Certification for military customers AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 9
M Kano-model and Importance Benchmarking 1
V New Product Model CE Mark Certification under MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 0
DuncanGibbons Model-Based procedures and Architecting the QMS as a System Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
B Susceptible, Infected, Recovered model for coronavirus modeling Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 0