Which quality system to register to? Small business

B

bluejay04

Hello Guys: I have a friend that has a small business manufacturing windows.I deal with QS9000 & TS16949 (automotive ) I said that I would ask you guys what quality system would suit his requirements ,he wants to get registered to something ,but is unsure of what he needs

D

Dave.C

I hate the term "Quality System". It's about running a business - quality is simply an output of a correctly managed process. I'd recommend reading about Baldridge, TQM, or Demming. Don't go for a standard simply to put a certificate on the wall.

J

JRKH

Need Input .

Why is he interested?
Is he looking for marketing advantage?
Customer requirement?
Looking for a way to grow his business?

These are all legitimate reasons for investigating a quality management standard, but the Customer Requirement may be the only reason to bother with actual registration.

The ISO-9000 standard is a good place to start roadmapping, but be sure to include 9004 in this.

James

K

Kevin H

I have to agree with both posts - Deming is a great way to start, and your friend might want to read something regarding the Toyota production system. A good basis is to think of implementing in his company a management system for quality, ideally addressing safety and environmental concerns as well, rather than a quality management system. If he's seeking registration, the most applicable 1 is ISO 9001:2000. As James notes, don't forget the 9004 section - a number of good suggestions are contained in it.

harry

Trusted Information Resource
Be more positive - just reading about Baldridge, Demming and TQM will also bring him no where. Most important is to take that first step - ISO 9001 certification. Continual improvement will bring him nearer and nearer to what he read or the 'ideal'.

However, if he is still manufacturing windows after a number of years, he may need to explore other business models. TQM, Baldridge, etc may not be feasible from the business point of view.

R

ralphsulser

I would recommend pursuing compliance to ISO9001:2000.
Does he really need to spend the money for certification?
What are his customers expecting?

J

JRKH

Yesserreee

ralphsulser said:

You are absolutely right.
That was one of the points I was aiming at too. If the customers are not demanding it, you don't need the expense of the registration.
If he, as the owner, is committed to creating such a management system then the first and main criteria is met. !!Management Commitment!!
After that it should be pretty easy and profitable. So if your customers are saticfied and your business is efficient and profitable, no one will notice wether you have a certificate or not.

James

Helmut Jilling

Auditor / Consultant
ralphsulser said:

I also would recommend ISO 9001. However, don't rule out certification. The knowledge that that nasty ol' auditor will be snooping around soon is often what puts the teeth in a system. It is similar to a "schools out" attitude when the kids are let out for the summer.

I remember a client that decided to maintain ISO but drop their cert to save money. In a matter of weeks the scrap rate had increased signifcantly. In one year, their scrap cost increase ate up the cost of certification fro the rest of their lives. And, their's actually had been a pretty good implementation.

M

menkirt

Do you think this ISO- Registration/certification help technical and Vocational Education and Training Colleges? what about TQM Baldrige ?

Coury Ferguson

Moderator here to help
Trusted Information Resource
menkirt said:
Do you think this ISO- Registration/certification help technical and Vocational Education and Training Colleges? what about TQM Baldrige ?

ISO9001 Registration or compliance is fine. As for TQM ignore that one and if you are choosing Malcolm Baldridge that will be involve the entire business and may take a couple of years. Will registration to ISO9001 help? Well it can't hurt.

Top Bottom