SBS - The Best Value in QMS software

White Light vs. Laser Scanner - Investing in a 3d Scanner

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Danny Hoover

Involved In Discussions
Re: White Light vs Laser Scanner

I am currently using a Steinbichler Comet L3D and Polyworks inspection module. What is the purpose of the scanner, and how do you plan to use it?

T

True Position

Re: White Light vs Laser Scanner

What kinds of materials do you work with, what tolerance do you need, and what size parts are all important questions to ask before calling your gage salesperson.

Wes Bucey

Prophet of Profit
I gather your need is for a "no touch" method of confirming dimensions. Certainly the material, its size, configuration, and tolerances will play a big factor in the decision of what device to deploy. Further factors will include whether you will be checking one particular model of a product or many different configurations and how many you will be checking in a given period of time.

Danny Hoover

Involved In Discussions
Well I was hoping to get a good conversation started. I do not find many forums with good resources involving scanning......a slightly darker art than CMM measurement!

somashekar

Staff member
Super Moderator
Well I was hoping to get a good conversation started. I do not find many forums with good resources involving scanning......a slightly darker art than CMM measurement!
We use services from Here in my city. It has some comparison between technologies. When you have curvatures and narrow profiles and need more precise 3D data, white light comes above laser.

A

AndrisSkulte

Start emailing the vendors for spec sheets and you'll start to get an idea of what your company needs.

Non-contact scanners are available from $3000 (NextEngine) to $300k, depending on your requirements.

I've seen some neat demos at Eastec & CCATS, but the units we could justify $-wise weren't capable of 4:1 let alone 10:1 for our typical tolerances on small (<2" cube) parts.

Are your tolerances ?.020" or ?.002?
Is your material reflective or matte?
What will you be using it for? Reverse engineering? Just checking deviation against a CAD model? Or a fully toleranced GD&T inspection? Software has a huge impact on how easy it is to use. Typical inspection software will be $5k-$15k.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
optomist1 Recommend Primer Details of Non-Contact White/Blue Light Scanning General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 0
R Red LED vs. White Light Inspection Lamp Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 6
P MSDS for MVQ FDA White, Vinyl Methyl Silicone Rubber EU Medical Device Regulations 4
K AS9100 - 7.3 - Are these black and white questions with specific correct answers AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1
M Informational US – MITA UPDATES SERVICING AND REMANUFACTURING WHITE PAPER Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M Informational DITTA White Paper on Cybersecurity: Best Practices in the Medical Technology Manufacturing Environment Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M Medical Device News NB-Med and Team-NB have jointly edited a white paper entitled “White Paper – One Year of Application” Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
L Color measurements R&R: what's wrong with white? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 5
L BSI White Paper on Human Factors/Usability Engineering IEC 62366 - Medical Device Usability Engineering 12
MichaelDRoach Where in ISO 9001 is White Out on Forms and Records Prohibited? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 12
C Use of white-out or obliterating a portion of a controlled drawing or document Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 7
P EU MDD revisions white paper on the proposals for the Medical Device Regulations EU Medical Device Regulations 1
B I'm Dreaming of a White Christmas... Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 31
V Where to find Red/White Rust Rating Requirements? APQP and PPAP 4
L Discoloration of Tin Plated Surface from White to Black or Yellow during Storage Manufacturing and Related Processes 7
AnaMariaVR2 [White Paper] Writing & Enforcing Your SOPs for GxP Compliance Success Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 0
S What's a White Paper and how is one applicable in the Medical Device field? Other US Medical Device Regulations 9
O European or Asian equivalents for white tinplate (GZHK) TU U 14-4-422-97 Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 3
D BIW (Body in White) 100 Grid Line picture Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
G The DREADED...."White Out"!!! *insert scary music* Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 25
Jim Wynne Ford plans white-collar layoffs World News 3
N The Term for Black and White Art Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 18
M Validation White Papers The Reading Room 1
D Zinc Phosphate problems - Green Bath has turned White Manufacturing and Related Processes 11
S How do you control White Paper Documents in Engineering OR QA? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
Ajit Basrur Are "Controlled Rooms" or "White Rooms" referred as ISO Class 9 rooms? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
Brizilla "Measuring the quality of white collar employees and productivity." Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 6
Marc Detroit's Big Three seek White House help World News 6
Claes Gefvenberg Why is it so hard to get white collars to visit the factory floor? Philosophy, Gurus, Innovation and Evolution 22
Q 2005 World Series - White Sox or Astros Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 33
Marc Ford reduces earnings forecasts - To axe 1,700 more white-collar jobs - 2005 World News 2
D QMI White Paper, RE: AS9100 AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
Wes Bucey GM to Cut North American White-Collar Workers World News 28
M I am looking for some good white collar productivity articles World News 1
Marc MS Chief Security Officer to work for White House After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 13
Marc The Use Of White-Out on Quality and Other Records Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 11
A Time plan for the "white print" ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
Marc Did You Know? - 1995 - Richard White - First person to be declared a Munition World News 0
M Ford Motor Company's Black/Gray/White Box Systems QS-9000 - American Automotive Manufacturers Standard 2
Marc IBM Joins The White Hats! After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 0
J Disposal of White and Brown goods Decree Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 4
A Is there any Light for a surgical microscope? Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 3
bobdoering Handy training tip for SPC - the Check Engine Light Analogy Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 0
G Optical Comparator Light Bulb Wear question General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
M What is the lightest material to make a Strong and Light Ratchet Tie Down Strap Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
G Light Emitting Devices IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 1
J CE of light bulb CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 2
N Microsoft Word - How to make high-light go away after text is put in Excel .xls Spreadsheet Templates and Tools 5
M Light Rail Industry Standards and Requirements Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 19
L IEC60601-2-44 - Indicator Light Requirement IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 3