Who among users here is involved in ENERGY STAR?

Hershal

Metrologist-Auditor
Staff member
Super Moderator
I may have asked this before, but...

Who here (besides me) is involved in the EPA ENERGY STAR emphasis?

How are you keeping up with the necessary changes and revisions?

Are you a manufacturer, lab, CB, or AB?

If you are not involved in ENERGY STAR, please do feel free to ask all of us that are any question you like.

The program has had good points and bad points in the past and likely will in the future, but all of us that buy the products can have confidence in them nowadays. And more confidence going forward.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
D

Dan Armstrong

Re: Who here is involved in ENERGY STAR?

My daughter works for a DOE contractor doing some eStar things (developing test procedures and test stands, testing appliances, etc.). PM me if you would like to get in touch with her.

tsmith7858

Quite Involved in Discussions

We have a major customer that is big in Sustainability and "Green" manufacturing. We put in a sustainability program and became involved in Energy Star through them.

Since they are a large international company, we keep up to date through them. As a co-manufacturer we are required to provide them with progress reports and measurables monthly. We also get invites to web casts and training sessions.

S

Seeisoguy - 2011

We have several products that are Energy star qualified.
Yes, it is difficult to keep up with the legislation. We rely on a couple of sources for information. However, what is boils down to is to find the document that applies to your product from the Department of Energy website. A good place to start is

https://www.directives.doe.gov/

On the website listed above you can subscribe for updates to DOE Directives. While on the site. Conduct a search for the DOE Directive that applies to your product. It is a lot of reading. However, it gives you the details of all the requirements for the Energy Star program and information on testing and report submission.

Good Luck

Hershal

Metrologist-Auditor
Staff member
Super Moderator

Some good responses here.

Yes, the changes coming from EPA are fast and many. Every week there are notices.

It should be noted that DOE has their own program, especially for lighting. EPA does use some DOE information, but ENERGY STAR is all EPA.

P

Popeos

Hi there !

I am actually not directly involved in Energystar, as I work on Energy Efficiency, but outside the US. However I go and visit the Energystar webpage regularly to get valuable information.

I find that the "green" forums are a bit weak on elsmar, so if they can be boosted by more talk about energystar, fine with me

Popeos

note : why have you chosen forum about metrology instead of green/sustainable ? because of the way to measure/certify energystar ?

Randy

Super Moderator

Occasionally one of my clients will list Energy Star as an "other requirement" (ISO 14001 - 4.3.2) and I'll have to incorporate it into an audit, but we don't do E-Star specifically as a stand alone.

Hershal

Metrologist-Auditor
Staff member
Super Moderator

Popeos, great question!

The reason is because testing must be by accredited labs (ISO/IEC 17025:2005) and listing must be by accredited certification bodies (CBs), accredited under ISO Guide 65, but now ISO/IEC 17065 is published and so that transition will start. That is why to put the question with the accreditation board.

Hope this helps.

Marc

Hunkered Down for the Duration
Staff member
Admin

<snip> note : why have you chosen forum about metrology instead of green/sustainable ? because of the way to measure/certify energy star?
Thread moved to what I think is the correct forum.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
K Analysis variation among the lots during cpk calculation. Design and Development of Products and Processes 1
M Informational Team-NB published a press release regarding the survey run among its members to analyse the certificates being issued Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
J APQP Requirements - What is meant by "among other items" IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
Ajit Basrur Statement of Cooperation Among FDA - TGA - ANVISA - HPFB 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 4
thisby_ Designating a European Authorized Representative among Companies EU Medical Device Regulations 4
F Differences among three locations with respect to mean selling price - Minitab help Using Minitab Software 2
P Global Directory Who's Who Among Executives and Professionals Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 5
A Traveling Standards among laboratories under regional / inter-national program General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
Chennaiite How to manage Variation among Auditors? General Auditing Discussions 8
Randy Idiot Sightings - They walk among us Funny Stuff - Jokes and Humour 17
ScottK Restarting an old hobby - any Scale Modelers among us? Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 25
R Who are among the Top 5 in "Operations Consulting"? Consultants and Consulting 16
Sidney Vianna The rottenest of the apples tend to be found among auditors World News 10
D Proficiency Testing - Interpersonnel comparison among the calibration technicians General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
I Top Manufacturing Systems Faculties among Industrial Engineering Departments in US Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 3
ScottK 2006 Le Tour de France thread - any cycling enthusiasts among us? Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 37
C In cases where users of an electronic system change their names Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 6
M Informational MDDI - It’s Time to Meet the Users of Medical Devices Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
A Users won't return devices from pre-CE performance evaluation study EU Medical Device Regulations 3
Marc Mac Users - What's coming in 2018 After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 5
Marc New Malware Targets Facebook and Linkedin Users through Image Files Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 0
Marc Hackers unleash smart Twitter phishing tool that snags two in three users IEC 27001 - Information Security Management Systems (ISMS) 7
C 510(k) STED Format - Feedback from users US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 1
L Canadian Users of ISO 14001 please contact me ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 4
P Any Zorpia Users Here? Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 3
D Any Epicore Quality System Users? Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 4
A Medical Device Distribution in the EU to Patients (End-Users) EU Medical Device Regulations 3
N Any ULM (Universal Length Measuring device) Users? Calibration and Metrology Software and Hardware 4
J Looking for feedback from current/former Intelex users Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 4
D Any Unipoint QMS users here? Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 8
O Gage Study training explanation for Gage Users Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 3
Marc Will Facebook lose 80% of its users by 2017? After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 12
Ajit Basrur How to allow users to enter values in a protected MS Excel worksheet ? Excel .xls Spreadsheet Templates and Tools 4
W Product Training Requirements for Users of Product(s) ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
J Yearly Cleanroom Revalidation Test Requirements - Questions for users clean room ISO7 Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 5
Stijloor Google Chrome Internet Browser - Any Google Chrome users? After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 21
E Basic SPC Guide (5-10 pages) for Entry Level Users - Recommendations Please Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 8
D Mac Users - Downloading pictures from my digital camera to iPhoto After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 8
Marc 7.5 Million Facebook Users under 13 Years Old After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 2
D AS 9100 Rev C "10 Minutes" Presentation to Non-Users needed AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 9
C Sunday Business Systems? Current users? Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 10
Wes Bucey Hackers now aiming at Mac users After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 1
Marc 66% of All Windows Users Still Use Windows XP After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 19
Claes Gefvenberg Microsoft Windows users: Which windows version are you using? March - April 2010 After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 37
D Mac users "Imovie" Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 1
Jim Wynne February 2010 Windows Update Causes BSOD for Alureon Rooted XP Users After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 8
L Sample size for validation run with product users 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
Marc China has more Web users than US has citizens After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 2
S How to measure Energy Use for individual users in a shared business Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 23
ScottK Elsmar Cove iPhone users After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 39