Who audits the Quality Manager ?

• Thread starter software badger
  • Start date
S

software badger

Time to stop lurking and start posting !

Hello, I'm a QM for a small software company in the UK, we've had our ISO9001 and TickIT certification since 1998 and were certified against ISO9001:2000 last June.

My certification body is one of the larger ones, and at our last audit they raised a non compliance on my internal audit schedule. The text of the non compliance is as follows: "The internal audit schedule was reviewed and was judged appropriate to the requirements of ISO 9001:2000. However there was no independent audit of the quality function identified to show that 8.2.2 paras 3 and 4 are being complied with".

My initial response - senior management provide the appropriate level of checking and authorisation by reviewing and/or setting the companies "policies" on quality, and then hold me accountable for the delivery of them by formally measuring me against my objectives - wasn't well received. Neither was the second response - that as the certification body audit me on a six monthly basis an internal audit was unnecessary.

Being a small company we don't have anybody with the appropriate skill set that could audit the quality function and we don't really want to hire (either temporarily or permanently) or train another QM/auditor. Any comments ?

Thanks in advance
Ad

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
B

Bruce Epstein

In a similar situation in the past, we had certain customers who audited us on a regular basis; this was judged acceptable by our certification agency.

Otherwise, we always considered the formal audit to be the check on the Quality Manager.

Admittedly, though, I'm not in the UK.

Sounds to me like they're trying to force you into additional audits which might not be necessary.

J
Based on how I read your post, I think that this finding is a bit nit-picky.

Bruce pretty well covered it, but hear is a couple more ideas.
Take a look at your management review system and see if there is a way to beef up the records etc. from this. I feel this is the area where you really get the most formal audit. Otherwise just bring in one of your internal auditors to check over your records, processes etc to provide the warm fuzzy for the auditor.

Another option would be to bring in a consultant once a year to look over your processes. This may not be too expensive.

Good to see another lurker come out of the shadows.

Welcome to the mad mad mad mad mad mad mad:frust: :frust: world of the cove.

James

M

M Greenaway

Just tell the auditor that your schedule is based on status and importance................and the quality function has neither :vfunny:

Sorry

A

Al Dyer

Yes,

For $50-$100/hour/quarter you can hire someone to come in and give an opposing view. Even if it costs a few bucks more, say up to $1,000.00 / year it is well worth the expense.

There are qualified people out there that can cover your situation!!!

I'd love to but I am too far away!!!!

D

David Mullins

not again

This topic was discussed, at length, and with some great ideas, just a few short months ago.
Please check out the search engine - it will be worth it.

gpainter

Quite Involved in Discussions
Without knowing how your audits are conducted, the problem may be that there was no audit of the Quality Department. Since the quality department is a key process it should be audited. Any trained auditor (internal) should be able to audit it. The 00 standard slacks up and just says you can not audit your own work. We do process audits, so just add the Quality Department to your list of departments to audit. MO

Marc

Hunkered Down for the Duration
Staff member
Admin
Re: not again

Originally posted by David Mullins

This topic was discussed, at length, and with some great ideas, just a few short months ago.

Please check out the search engine - it will be worth it.
I couldn't find it. If anyone knows which thread, please do post a link. Thanks!

K
In a prior life I ran into this situation and addressed it by having the QM of one of my customers audit me, and returning the favor when she needed it.

Russ Jackson

Starting to get Involved
Perhaps not in Software Badger's case, since he notes that it is a small company, but in many systems would it not be acceptable for an internal quality auditor outside of the QM's area to audit relative to par 3 & 4 of 8.2.2? The specific statement of independence has not been carried forth into 9k2k and it now says in par 2, 8.2.2 "Selection of auditors and condcut of audits shall ensure objectivity and impartiallity of the audit process. Auditors shall not audit their own work." Thus, an internal quality auditor from a department or area other than the QM's department should be capable of satisfying this requirement for auditing the QM relative to the two paragraphs in question.

As an auditor I would less likely question the use of an in-house internal auditor for this purpose than a Customer's QM for whom you cannot certify capability unless the the person is a certified auditor. ;)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Gman2 Quality Record Retention (Internal Audits, CA's) ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
P Definition AS9100 Quality Policy and 2nd party audits Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 6
O Vendor (Supplier) Responsibility - Re: Quality Audits 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 5
K Questioning Top Management on The Quality Policy during Internal Audits Internal Auditing 7
F Benefits of Internal Audits in supporting Safety and Quality Management Systems Internal Auditing 5
R Handling Quality Self-Audits on Outsourced Products Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 5
Z Forensic Quality Audits General Auditing Discussions 7
T Can ISO 9001 Internal Quality Audits be Outsourced? Internal Auditing 9
L Layered Process Audits: Efficiency, quality, safety or all the above? Process Audits and Layered Process Audits 11
R ISO Registrar Using Quality Authors to perform periodical or recertification audits ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
G Report template for quality process audits of the software product teams Internal Auditing 1
Fexjo How to Link Quality Management System, Manufacturing and Product Audits IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
G Are Internal Audits of the Quality System required by the FDA yearly? Internal Auditing 6
C Management Quality Audits as Part of Policy Deployment/Hoshin General Auditing Discussions 4
Antonio Vieira Difficulty ?passing? Quality audits - Number of Major / Minor Nonconformances Allowed General Auditing Discussions 12
T Managing International Quality System Audits ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
W Internal Audit Schedule - Seeking Examples - Quality Audits Internal Auditing 14
M Outsource of Internal Quality Audits and Incentive for Auditor General Auditing Discussions 23
E Statistical Sampling in QMS (Quality management System) Audits Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 1
A FDA Quality Audits 21cfr820.22 - Audits by the head of the company not allowed ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
D Internal Quality Audits and Contract Audits General Auditing Discussions 12
C QSA 4.17.6 - Internal Quality Audits - Effectiveness of the corrective actions General Auditing Discussions 4
Q Registered Quality Internal Auditor Qualifications - What needed? Audits? Experience? Professional Certifications and Degrees 5
M Major vs. Minor for Internal Audits? Internal Auditing 3
J ISO 13485 System 'soft start' - How to best reflect this in initial audits, management review minutes and other records? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
D Layered Process Audits - FCA 9.2.2 - Exemption Clause? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
S Obligation to accept customer audits? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 23
M Supplier Audits - Stop Wasting Everyone's Time! General Auditing Discussions 15
C Internal Audits in a tiny Dx Company Internal Auditing 33
H ISO 13485 - Separate Microbiology Audits ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
A Question on ISO 14001:2015 - Are annual audits required? ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 8
H Remote product audits in Coivd-19 - IATF 16949 9.2.2.4 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
N Sampling Plan for Internal Audits - ISO 2859 or 3951 - Or Neither? Internal Auditing 6
O ISO13485 implementation - Are internal audits expected before stage 1 audit? Design and Development of Products and Processes 3
Ed Panek Corona Virus impact on Supplier Audits and Received Parts ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
JoCam Increase to bi-annual ISO 13485 audits ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
P Supplier Audits in the wake of COVID-19 ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 3
O Informational Scaling back internal audits due to corona virus while avoiding a NC Internal Auditing 7
R Is it required to have an SOP for external audits? Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 7
G Internal Audits and Employee engagement Internal Auditing 16
D Root Cause for Missed Audits Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 1
M Notified Body audits -Class Ia medical device product EU Medical Device Regulations 4
S Internal audit discrepancy - We missed a few audits that were scheduled Internal Auditing 12
C Design and implementation of process audits as defined within IATF 16949 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
F ISO 17025 8.8 Internal Audits in a segmented company ISO 17025 related Discussions 5
J Requirements for Layered Process Audits including Maintenance, Shipping, Receiving IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
qualprod Internal Audits - Categories of non conformances Internal Auditing 12
G Non Conformance During ISO 9001 Audit - Not All Internal Audits Completed General Auditing Discussions 19
K A way to monitor our Internal Audits as a KPI AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 7
blackholequasar Internal Auditing Inspiration - Getting volunteers to perform internal audits. Internal Auditing 22