Who handles Your Reach, RoHS, 3TG Compliance

dubrizo

Involved In Discussions
Hi all,

I recently started at a new organization which does not have an environmental position or a compliance position.

So my question... Who really should be responsible for compliance matters to Reach, RoHS, and 3 TG? What department or individual role holds this responsibility within your organization?

Thanks

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

smryan

Perspective.
In large companies it could be a Legal Department thing, with an official "Compliance Officer" position. Some companies outsource the "Compliance Officer" duties.

In our small company its me (Sr. Quality Systems & New Product Development Tech), with assistance from our Purchaser in obtaining relevant documentation from suppliers. We only have official statements on REACH, RoHS & "Conflict Minerals".

If customers want other compliance docs our response is usually, "Sorry. These are what we have." I don't believe we've lost any business on account of that yet. Usually the individual doing the asking has no clue what the compliances are even for - its just on a list they ask everyone for.

bjohnsonrli

Starting to get Involved
Hi dubrizo,

In our organization, responsibility for compliance to restricted substances/conflict minerals is a joint effort between our Quality and Purchasing departments. During product planning, Quality Engineering (myself) is responsible for verifying compliance by obtaining and reviewing objective evidence of compliance. For off-the-shelf parts, we request a completed RoHS or REACH Material Declaration, an independent lab Analysis or Chemical Composition, or Data Sheet with ROHS or REACH Declaration. All communication goes through our Buyer to better track action items.

Our suppliers are expected to take responsibility for the quality and material content of products supplied. We put in place agreements which they sign acknowledging their responsibility. We then require an annual update to existing declarations to cover any updates to the parts list.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Bryan

dubrizo

Involved In Discussions
Ah, [dubrizo] - you fell for the trap.

Since you asked first, now YOU'RE responsible for it. :lol:

At least that's how it seems to go in my life - that's how I first got into the Quality field back in the early eighties.
Hahaha, I feel I'm always that guy who asks the questions that nobody else really wants to touch (unless it's their job.) I'm just too curious and don't have an issue challenging the status quo.

Can someone explain to me how environmental compliance (RoHS, REACH, 3TG) has been placed within the quality bucket for many organizations? Does it not make more sense to be a by-product of purchasing, seeing as they have the direct responsibility for and communication with their suppliers.

normzone

Trusted Information Resource
Well, as with so many things, the task falls to the person that is slowest to dodge when they are looking for someone to carry the burden.

The quality discipline tends to be a catchall for anything that could be vaguely justified.

Who such things SHOULD fall to is usually based on the three legs of the tripod - Responsibility, Authority, and Resources. Unless you have all three, your odds of success are low.

As the QA guy, I am responsible for seeing that Reach, RoHS, and 3 TG are dealt with, but I do that by asking that Engineering specify components that meet RoHS, and that Purchasing obtain certification for legacy components, and Engineering obtain it when they spec in new components.

Re 3 TG, in my industry, NOBODY at our level knows who the smelter is, so all we can attest to is good intentions coupled with ignorance.

REACH is a matter of risk assessment and information collection.

What was the question again? I think I'm going home now ... :bigwave:

Ronen E

Problem Solver
Staff member
Whatever normzone said, he's right! :lol:

In my experience environmental compliance works best as a cooperation between R&D/engineering, QA and purchasing:

R&D/engineering should look for and initially verify compliant components/designs.
Purchasing should chase the necessary certifications on an ongoing basis (based on documented specifications).
QA should monitor regulatory trends and coordinate the effort.

Should...

somashekar

Staff member
Super Moderator
We are into contract manufacturing and our engineering lead manages this, both online and offline with customers. This is more a technical compliance which requires engineering application rather than a pure legal.....

Kimmy

Involved In Discussions
In our organization I handle ALL environmental issues with the exception of conflict minerals. This includes IMDS, RoHS, ELV, REACH, EPA, DEQ and 14001.

My title is Environmental Coordinator and I work closely with engineering, quality, maintenance and purchasing to make sure we are in compliance with all customer, local, state and federal requirements.

I do not handle Critical Materials only because I do not purchase the raw materials so it was felt that it makes more sense to have our purchasing department take care of it. I gladly agreed.

Ninja

Looking for Reality
Trusted Information Resource
Waited until it looked covered before I asked a potentially derailing question:

REACH, RoHS etc. I see discussed often...including by folks here in the USA.
But I see no discussions on USA OSHA GHS which takes 100x more work...

Is this something folks just aren't aware of? Or is it so big folks are afraid to talk about it?

Why is it such a silent topic? section 1900.1200.f.6 alone is way more effort than REACH compliance and filings...

Thoughts?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
C Gage R&R with a single operator who handles the measurement equipment? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
D Label Control - Who handles label control and the issuing of labels Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 4
J Another "Parent Company" Question - 'Sister' company handles sales IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
D Ppk vs Cpk - A Good, clear explanation and How Mini-Tab Handles Certain Statistics Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 71
P How far an operator can reach into a machine before it becomes an ergonomic problem CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 5
M EU – REACH Authorisation Decisions List REACH and RoHS Conversations 0
M EU – Chemical Safety Report – CSR – REACH Authorisation decisions – Triton X-100 – Ortho-clinical-Use1 REACH and RoHS Conversations 0
Nicole Desouza Who has to be compliant with REACH Declarations? REACH and RoHS Conversations 11
J Where can I find the latest update to Reach and ROHS? REACH and RoHS Conversations 7
padraick63 REACH and ROHS Requirement for a Molded Part REACH and RoHS Conversations 1
R Certificate of compliance to RoHS/REACH/WEEE - any such animal? REACH and RoHS Conversations 18
T MSDS Language Requirements for Reach Purposes REACH and RoHS Conversations 3
S IMDS=REACH for automotive industry? REACH and RoHS Conversations 2
L REACH Compliance - Small, family-owned contract manufacturer REACH and RoHS Conversations 16
R REACH and ROHS compliance for hundreds of parts made over 25 years REACH and RoHS Conversations 3
P REACH - BOMcheck.net - What I can expect from this service? REACH and RoHS Conversations 0
P REACH - A few of the hundreds components in my product no longer meet requirement REACH and RoHS Conversations 2
C SVHC Lead - Communicate in the supply chain under Article 33 of the REACH Regulation REACH and RoHS Conversations 1
D How do I show compliance to RoHS, REACH and Conflict Minerals? REACH and RoHS Conversations 6
J RoHS, WEEE and REACH Consulting Expertise Needed REACH and RoHS Conversations 4
P Necessary Compliance Documentation for RoHS and REACH REACH and RoHS Conversations 5
M ROHS & REACH in TEFLON Material - NABL Testing Laboratories REACH and RoHS Conversations 1
N Taking exception to REACH Requirement - Appropriate Language REACH and RoHS Conversations 4
H REACH Registration Requirements - Who is required to Register REACH and RoHS Conversations 1
smryan Compliance Officer Outsourcing? RoHS, REACH, ELV, GADSL, IECSC Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 5
R How to demonstrate REACH Compliance RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 3
N How do I demonstrate REACH compliance ? RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 1
M Medical devices are CE mark but not sold in EU - Need to comply with REACH? RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 9
Q REACH due dilligence and meeting the ever moving SVHC target RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 5
L IOS-MAT-0010 vs REACH/ROHS RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 2
P Law restrictions in each country [REACH, CONFLICT MINERALS, Canada Gazette] RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 2
W REACH - Candidate List Substance vs. Authorisation List Substance in EEE RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 1
E IFU Changes - How it is ensured that IFU changes reach Surgeons EU Medical Device Regulations 4
P Service Part Issues - Request for MDS and REACH Declaration RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 3
A Start Compliance to RoHS, SCHV and REACH RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 10
I REACH Certificate of Compliance Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
J Anyone using SiliconExpert Technologies Software for RoHS/REACH/CM RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 1
S Chinese / English Language REACH Statements RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 4
J RoHS/REACH Compliance Tools and PLM Integration RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 14
S Does Australia/New Zealand require RoHS, WEEE, REACH and EMC? RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 4
Brizilla Is 303 SS (sus 303) Reach Compliant? RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 4
B REACH & ROHS Declaration for Concrete Casting Water Feature RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 3
N Off Shore Supplier PCBA REACH Reporting RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 4
quality1 Charging Customers for REACH Documentation RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 8
R Ppk vs Cpk: Big Differences - What conclusion can I reach about my process? Six Sigma 3
V Worker Chemical Safety Assessment - CEFIC/REACH Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 0
O REACH Registration - Automotive Parts Manufacturer based in Morocco RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 4
S Applicability of REACH Requirements RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 7
T Is REACH applicable to Medical Devices in the EU? RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 6
R Are you using software for REACH? RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 7