Who is responsible for ISO 9001 in your company?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
J

Jim Biz

HI Kevin:

The designated "responsible authority" here is the ISO/QA manager. But in a sense "everyone" must play a part in it by following the procedures set within the system.

Regards
Jim

L

louie

In Charge of Quality?

QA Manager leads the company in understading the quality requirements per the standard being applied. QA Mgr oversees the whole operation and helps lead the Department Managers in keeping compliance and searching for CI areas.

Each Department Manager is responsible for maintaining quality and continuous improvement of their quality system in their department.

Each employee has the responsibility to not accept "bad product" from any "customer" and to immediately act upon breaks / alterations from procedure.

D

Doug Stimson

Quality is one of three Core Values of the Corporation. Emphasis on quality is championed by the quality function. If you do away with the quality function (as non value add) the company is in trouble not only from product perspectives but also service, customer satisfaction etc.

Kevin Mader

One of THE Original Covers!
Staff member
Admin
Thanks for responding folks. Here are my thoughts one respondent at a time.

Jim: I like the inclusion of "everyone". I agree. Here is my follow up question for everyone here at the Cove: do you think "everyone" really understands this responsibility?

Randy: A Dynamic Duo! Don't let your wife know that you are responsible for Quality. She might disagree (LOL)!

Louie: A nice broadening of the question. This is exactly right. Quality is everyone's responsibility, but Quality is born in the boardroom. If management is responsible for 94%, then management bears the greatest responsibility for improving the Quality System, ISO or otherwise.

Doug: One of three Core values? What are the other two? Your comment gets to part of the topic I didn't post. The "Convenience Factor of ISO". Responsibility to meet the standard is often stuck into the closet when it suits some folks. We have all seen this to one degree or another.

My second question, my brief disclosure, and your valued responses will drive the discussion a bit further, so I'll hold off a bit on posting my thoughts.

Regards,

Kevin

D

Dan Larsen

For my money (and what I try to get clients to undersatand), the President is responsible for ISO (or QS). It's HIS system to make or break. Remember that the Management Representative is responsible to the President.

A

Aaron Lupo

In theory, each employee is responsible for ISO in our company from the Executives down to the technicians. It is everyone’s responsibility, upper Management should support the efforts and allocate the resources needed to implement ISO or any other Standard you comply with. Department Managers are responsible for hiring persons with the appropriate education and experience, and assigning the responsibilities to each individual, and providing the necessary training.

Now in reality the Executives only want to know when our registrar is coming in, the Managers don't want to do "the extra paperwork", so QA has to hold their hands and wipe their noses. QA also get to take the blame when things go wrong we often hear "I was never told that", or "We never had to do that before ISO". Yet when we get a compliment the Department takes the credit.

Ahhh the life of a QA employee, what a joy!!

L

Laura M

Comments from 2 typical organizations (paraphrased) that key into who's responsible.

Me: QS requires FMEA's
CEO - Company 1: We haven't had a customer ask yet for one. How many do we need to pass the audit?
QA - Company 1: I know we need to do them, but I won't get cross-functional help.
Sales - Company 1: Are we registered yet?
Who's responsible? - The management rep. - and QA department - just get them through the audit.

CEO - Company 2: We've done them in the past and learned alot. It would be a good thing to implement across the board. Can you train us? We want to establish a library of them to communicate lessons learned and improve for the next program.
QA - Company 2: Engineering is compiling a list of current projects we want to do FMEA's on.
Sales - When's the training? I want to understand this.
Who's responsible? - CEO - entire organization.

Yes, I've seen Company 2 in action - they do exist.

SteelMaiden

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Laura, you are right, companies that walk the walk do exist. I am usually lucky, the corporation I work for falls into the excellent participation category 95% of the time. What more can you ask for.

Our understanding is this:
I am responsible for making sure management knows what has to be done to meet/keep our certification. I also am responsible for making sure that the real workers understand what and why.

Management is responsible for backing me up, providing everyone with the resources they need to meet the quality goals, plans and system. It is their job to set an example for everyone else. If they don't show that quality is important, it certainly won't happen.

Everyone is responsible for quality. Only the operators themselves can control the quality, anyone else just verifies it. We have no "quality control" personnel. We do have quality assurance people. They take care of off-line testing etc.

I've work with various divisions and for the most part, everyone follows the same philosophy. There is some variance in level of commitment, but statistically there is variation in all processes.

I guess that when you can say that you actually enjoy showing up for work each day, and your co-workers aren't ready to vote you off the island, management commitment must be where it should be. We've had our moments where they didn't like what I've told them but in the long run, they've agreed that it needed to be done. We all go home friends at the end of the day.

No ulcers for me! I love my job.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
D ISO 9001:2000 TAG Committee - TC 176 is responsible for ISO 9000:2000 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
V Integrating ISO 14001 and EPA Responsible Recycling (R2) ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 4
B Could ISO 22000 auditee hold Auditor Responsible for subsequent safety breaches? Food Safety - ISO 22000, HACCP (21 CFR 120) 16
Sidney Vianna RC 14001 - American Chemistry Council Responsible Care Requirements & ISO 14001 ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 22
M Is Validation of Plating Processes required and who is responsible? Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 11
F UDI Registration - Who is responsible for Registration of the Device? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 11
J Management Representative and PRRC (Person Responsible for Regulatory Compliance) ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
P MDR PRRC (person responsible for regulatory compliance) and personal liability EU Medical Device Regulations 2
E Company A supplies pharmaceuticals to the MOI - Who is responsible? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
M Informational Update from GOV.UK – Regulating medical devices in the event of a no-deal Brexit – UK Responsible Person Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
dgrainger MHRA - Creation of new UK Responsible Person section with added content. Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
K Does company who manufacture but does not design or carry out clinical trials is responsible for CE marking for single use medical devices? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
K Packaging and Damaged Parts returned from a Service Provider (Anodize) - Who is Responsible? Manufacturing and Related Processes 20
Z Who is responsible for writing the validation of a new process? Manufacturing and Related Processes 7
C Advice on becoming a AS9100 Auditor - Need to audit organizations that are Design Responsible AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 12
C Person Responsible for Regulatory Compliance - The RA guy/girl Employment Act EU Medical Device Regulations 4
M Specifications Aerospace - Who is responsible for providing the correct specification(s) AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 14
I Who is responsible for signing the Declaration of Conformity and what is their liability Imported Legacy Blogs 0
D Responsible for regulatory compliance (Article 15 of MDR 2017/745) Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 4
M Prescription Devices - Who is Responsible / Liable? Other US Medical Device Regulations 9
J Not Design Responsible - Can we exclude all or parts of AS9100 clause 8.3 AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 7
J Functional group / area responsible on a Control Plan IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
Ronen E New Service Offer - MDR's Person Responsible for Regulatory Compliance Paid Consulting, Training and Services 6
U Who is responsible to initiate a Supplier Corrective Action? Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 13
A Selling our own class 1 (EU) devices worldwide - Who is responsible for registration? Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 7
Jen Kirley Shared responsibilities in Responsible Care 14001 ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 2
insect warfare New home for the R2 (Responsible Recycling) standard Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 2
H Different Plants responsible for different parts of the TS16949 Standard IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
Ninja Blind Gopher Auditors Comment - Who is responsible? Registrars and Notified Bodies 23
insect warfare New R2:2013 (Responsible Recycling) Standard has been Released Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 6
N Who is responsible for conducting Root Cause investigation? Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 8
M Corrective Action not being done by the responsible person Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 5
M Design & Development - Only 1 Engineer - Who is responsible for Approval? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
Q Should HR Job Titles match Procedure Responsible names? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
quality1 Definition Design Responsible - Good Definition in the context of AS 9100 Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 2
Q Assigning Responsibilities - Responsible Department or positions? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
A Design History File Maintenance - Who is responsible for the Design History File 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 5
V Where to get NAID and EPA Responsible Recycling Certification Training? Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 7
B Who is responsible for Translation Compliance EU Medical Device Regulations 6
T Does person responsible for standard have to be the Managment Representative? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
Q Who is responsible, the department head or people under him? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 15
E Who is responsible for RoHS Declaration? RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 3
B Who is responsible for cleaning medical devices before return for repairs? Other US Medical Device Regulations 13
K Which Department or Process is Responsible for Leading the PPAP Process? APQP and PPAP 3
P Who is responsible for CAME Amendment - Part M AMC M.A.704 (6) EASA and JAA Aviation Standards and Requirements 6
C Configuration Management requirements if this facility is not design responsible AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 9
A Is a Distributor responsible for Design History Files 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 10
J Scope of Registration ? Design Responsible ? Outsource Design??? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
A Who is responsible for In-process Inspection? Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 20
Anerol C Where should I start as the person responsible for the calibration laboratory? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 7