Who is responsible for writing the validation of a new process?

Good morning,
I am looking for who is responsible for writing the validation of a new process (includes RFID and computer system)? We are a medical device company under the FDA and I am use to people providing necessary input and RA/QA writing the validation. Please provide any thoughts.
Thank you!

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

optomist1

A Sea of Statistics
Super Moderator
regardless of industry or product...ideally should be a collaborative effort...instinctively led by the SME, likely the process or production/mfg. engineer, with input from quality orgianization....not all firms have the same structure and nomenclature so i may a bit off here...but the poitn is is it must be a collaborative effort...

shrikantborkar

Starting to get Involved
Hi ,,
In my capacity as the Manufacturing system Manager (Manufacturing Engineering) , New Process Introduction, Its verification was my responsibility however Validation to be carried out with witness of the customer .
its correct Local Available expertise either from the company or to get hired but the responsibility lies with Manufacturing system Manager

Good morning,
I am looking for who is responsible for writing the validation of a new process (includes RFID and computer system)? We are a medical device company under the FDA and I am use to people providing necessary input and RA/QA writing the validation. Please provide any thoughts.
Thank you!
Hi ZaMoon

I agree with Yodon and Optimist. Yet collaboration can be a hard thing to bring into a culture, but a collaborative approach to validation is necessary to having a solid validation process and report. I think of it like having the foundations of a structure capable to support weight.

Obviously you asked this a few months ago so this maybe a bit late, but the fact that your asking indicates your organisation doesn't have a clear approach on this? If I were in your position, I would advocate treating this like a project involving an external contractor - even if you don't have a third party.
Clearly define the roles and responsibilities, and the requirements for that role (lot's of people here said you need a subject matter expert (SME), but your RFID / computer systems SME will have a different scope of involvement to your SME for other product attributes, does your QA review from a processing perspective or RA/QA only?) and build a kind of project scope to help guide the process.
This approach is best used as a guidance and the scope should be revisited periodically - maybe this is not necessary for your organisation, but it sometimes helps to get all participants agreement at the beginning that this scope isn't a blunt instrument to pressure people with.

In the long term, I would include in your quality manual, or whatever your core quality document is called, a section on how to deal with validations like this, or go all out and work up a Validation Master Plan (not, as I understand it, a strict requirement under 21 CFR 820)

I hope this helps.

Hi ,,
In my capacity as the Manufacturing system Manager (Manufacturing Engineering) , New Process Introduction, Its verification was my responsibility however Validation to be carried out with witness of the customer .
its correct Local Available expertise either from the company or to get hired but the responsibility lies with Manufacturing system Manager
Is this same in every company, We are Dubai based freight forwarding company, and I need to create the JDS for Manufacturing system Manager

Hi ZaMoon

I agree with Yodon and Optimist. Yet collaboration can be a hard thing to bring into a culture, but a collaborative approach to validation is necessary to having a solid validation process and report. I think of it like having the foundations of a structure capable to support weight.

Obviously you asked this a few months ago so this maybe a bit late, but the fact that your asking indicates your organisation doesn't have a clear approach on this? If I were in your position, I would advocate treating this like a project involving an external contractor - even if you don't have a third party.
Clearly define the roles and responsibilities, and the requirements for that role (lot's of people here said you need a subject matter expert (SME), but your RFID / computer systems SME will have a different scope of involvement to your SME for other product attributes, does your QA review from a processing perspective or RA/QA only?) and build a kind of project scope to help guide the process.
This approach is best used as a guidance and the scope should be revisited periodically - maybe this is not necessary for your organisation, but it sometimes helps to get all participants agreement at the beginning that this scope isn't a blunt instrument to pressure people with.

In the long term, I would include in your quality manual, or whatever your core quality document is called, a section on how to deal with validations like this, or go all out and work up a Validation Master Plan (not, as I understand it, a strict requirement under 21 CFR 820)

I hope this helps.

Never too late to help:) Thank you for your advice, I am actually getting ready to write another large validation and I am incorporating your approach into my project plan.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
qualprod Can a consultant be audited instead of QMS responsible? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
chris1price Notified Body responsible for product safety under MDD? EU Medical Device Regulations 4
M Brand owner or manufacturer responsible for Basic UDI-DI and UDI-DI? EU Medical Device Regulations 6
N UK Responsible Person - Termination UK Medical Device Regulations 2
E MDR PRRC "jointly responsible" EU Medical Device Regulations 1
A Brexit When does the UK responsible person need to be in place? UK Medical Device Regulations 10
M Is Validation of Plating Processes required and who is responsible? Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 11
F UDI Registration - Who is responsible for Registration of the Device? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 11
J Management Representative and PRRC (Person Responsible for Regulatory Compliance) ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 11
P MDR PRRC (person responsible for regulatory compliance) and personal liability EU Medical Device Regulations 3
E Company A supplies pharmaceuticals to the MOI - Who is responsible? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
M Informational Update from GOV.UK – Regulating medical devices in the event of a no-deal Brexit – UK Responsible Person Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
dgrainger MHRA - Creation of new UK Responsible Person section with added content. Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
K Does company who manufacture but does not design or carry out clinical trials is responsible for CE marking for single use medical devices? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
K Packaging and Damaged Parts returned from a Service Provider (Anodize) - Who is Responsible? Manufacturing and Related Processes 20
C Advice on becoming a AS9100 Auditor - Need to audit organizations that are Design Responsible AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 12
C Person Responsible for Regulatory Compliance - The RA guy/girl Employment Act EU Medical Device Regulations 4
M Specifications Aerospace - Who is responsible for providing the correct specification(s) AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 14
I Who is responsible for signing the Declaration of Conformity and what is their liability Imported Legacy Blogs 0
D Responsible for regulatory compliance (Article 15 of MDR 2017/745) Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 4
M Prescription Devices - Who is Responsible / Liable? Other US Medical Device Regulations 9
J Not Design Responsible - Can we exclude all or parts of AS9100 clause 8.3 AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 7
J Functional group / area responsible on a Control Plan IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
Ronen E New Service Offer - MDR's Person Responsible for Regulatory Compliance Paid Consulting, Training and Services 6
U Who is responsible to initiate a Supplier Corrective Action? Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 13
A Selling our own class 1 (EU) devices worldwide - Who is responsible for registration? Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 7
Jen Kirley Shared responsibilities in Responsible Care 14001 ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 2
insect warfare New home for the R2 (Responsible Recycling) standard Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 2
H Different Plants responsible for different parts of the TS16949 Standard IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
Ninja Blind Gopher Auditors Comment - Who is responsible? Registrars and Notified Bodies 23
insect warfare New R2:2013 (Responsible Recycling) Standard has been Released Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 6
N Who is responsible for conducting Root Cause investigation? Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 8
M Corrective Action not being done by the responsible person Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 5
M Design & Development - Only 1 Engineer - Who is responsible for Approval? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
Q Should HR Job Titles match Procedure Responsible names? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
V Integrating ISO 14001 and EPA Responsible Recycling (R2) ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 4
Q Definition Design Responsible - Good Definition in the context of AS 9100 Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 2
Q Assigning Responsibilities - Responsible Department or positions? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
A Design History File Maintenance - Who is responsible for the Design History File 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 5
V Where to get NAID and EPA Responsible Recycling Certification Training? Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 7
B Who is responsible for Translation Compliance EU Medical Device Regulations 6
T Does person responsible for standard have to be the Managment Representative? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
Q Who is responsible, the department head or people under him? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 15
E Who is responsible for RoHS Declaration? RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 3
B Who is responsible for cleaning medical devices before return for repairs? Other US Medical Device Regulations 13
K Which Department or Process is Responsible for Leading the PPAP Process? APQP and PPAP 3
P Who is responsible for CAME Amendment - Part M AMC M.A.704 (6) EASA and JAA Aviation Standards and Requirements 6
C Configuration Management requirements if this facility is not design responsible AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 9
A Is a Distributor responsible for Design History Files 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 10
J Scope of Registration ? Design Responsible ? Outsource Design??? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2