Who is "Top Management" exactly in ISO 9001:2008?

Crusader

Trusted Information Resource
Who is "Top Management" exactly? Is there a definition somewhere? I need this clarified explicitly without doubt. :confused:

Thanks in advance. I searched and did not see anything defined.
Sorry if I missed it.
Crusader :bigwave:

Last edited:
Elsmar Forum Sponsor
S

samsung

Who is "Top Management" exactly? Is there a definition somewhere? I need this clarified explicitly without doubt. :confused:

Thanks in advance. I searched and did not see anything defined.
Sorry if I missed it.
Crusader :bigwave:
Here it is in ISO 9000: 2005
top management
person or group of people who directs and controls an organization (3.3.1) at the highest level

Moncia

Quite Involved in Discussions
In our case is VP of sales and marketing
which satisfies the new revision requirement that it has to be someone from top management

S

samsung

In our case is VP of sales and marketing
which satisfies the new revision requirement that it has to be someone from top management
I guess you are talking about the MR while the question relates to the definition of 'Top Management' itself.

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Staff member
Admin
Other than a wordsmithed text, the ISO 9001:2008 has no NEW requirement for the management rep position. And, by the way, the standard does not require the MR to be part of TOP MANAGEMENT, just management. There is a difference.

We've had numerous and prolonged discussions on MR's role. The basic issue, which many organizations and auditors skirt is AUTHORITY to effect the standard and required changes. Authority of the MR is commonly ignored by many. They pretend that an underling devoided of any authority can be an effective MR. Fools.

Crusader

Trusted Information Resource
Well, I had my meeting with the new management and I now report to lower mgmt. Hmmm, I think this violates ISO somewhere....:notme:
And yes, I am the Mgmt Rep.

Oh yeah, I told them the ISO references and they are not buying it. Future ding coming...next registrar audit. :nope:

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Q Example Process orientation to the process leadership, management, goals (tasks of the top management) ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
Q Top Management Change Prior to Certification ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 12
Q Risks Examples in Top Management ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
Q Additional KPI to Top Management beside Quality Objectives ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
K Top Executive Management ISO 9001:2015 and IATF 16949 Overview IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
S What defines Top Management after a Merger? Quality Management Review (9.3.1) Management Review Meetings and related Processes 1
L Auditing Top Management - Meeting Competency Requirements and Questions to Ask General Auditing Discussions 11
Q Who can Change goals and kpi of top management? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
L Engaging Top Management ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
Marc 15 minute Top Management presentation on ISO 9001:2015 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 23
SATHYABALARAMAN OHSAS 18001:2007 4.4.1 Top management appointee Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 8
Chennaiite Can an Auditor question Top Management decision to approve deviation? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 30
Y Differences between Top Management, Management & Organization ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
M The requirement for Communication via Top Management Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 4
SATHYABALARAMAN ISO Systems Annual Report to Top Management example wanted IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 10
M Helping Top Management Prepare for an ISO 14001 Audit ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 4
sridharafep Quality Policy without Top Management Signature Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 37
K Questioning Top Management on The Quality Policy during Internal Audits Internal Auditing 7
L QMS for Service Company - Top Management wants to take the role of QMR Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 5
A Safety Culture in Top Management - The Workplace Safety & Health Act Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 25
V Thinkers50 - 2011 - The 50 top management thinkers Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 1
K Should Internal Audit Plan be Approved by Top Management? Internal Auditing 19
E Top Management wants to ship nonconforming goods Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 18
E Is it Possible to Exclude Top Management (CEO, Chairman) in the QMS? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 13
S Management Responsibility - Is Top Management Committed poll Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 59
Colin Top Management Changing his Perspective - A Success Story ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
V 18001 2nd stage 3rd party Top Management Questions (Training Assignment) General Auditing Discussions 8
L Top Management - Internal Audit Questions to Ask Internal Auditing 17
D ISO 9001 - Responsibilities of Top Management in ensuring availability of resources ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
G Questionnaire for Internal Audit of Top Management Internal Auditing 9
E AS9100 - Is the Management Representative a Top Manager? AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 13
somashekar Top Management and Competence, Awareness, Training ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 25
D Top Management & Improvement Processes Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 29
S Auditing the Top Management during the Opening Meeting of Internal Audit Internal Auditing 21
Z Top Management (Exempt Staff) vs. Training and Competency ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 16
J Top Management Commitment Works Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 7
J Non-Conformance - Management Representative not part of Top Management Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 25
R Impacts on the Quality Manual due to changes in Top Management ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
F Internal Audit for Top Management / ISO 9001:2008 General Auditing Discussions 11
H Top Management and CEO - What questions will be asked during audit? General Auditing Discussions 4
V Can the Management Representative represent top management as the sole auditee? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 14
Y Convincing Top Management on the Value of a Lead Auditor Course ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
S How one can raise increment request to TOP management ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
E Do you consider this a Top Management Nonconformity? Nonconformance and Corrective Action 19
G KPIs required by TOP Management for strategic planning Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 2
Q Management Review - Top Management not being involved - Shoulder to cry on Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 22
M How to convince the Top Management to Implement ISO 14001? ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 13
B Responding to ISO9001 Audit NCR?s/Observations - ?Top Management? ? Clause 5.4 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 24
K What are the common questions during surveillance audit for top management? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 18
A Is Top Management Approval Process under Management Commitment ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10