Who Knows The Council Fire Secret?

D

DrM2u

All these explanations and speculations are fine and dandy, except ... How were the fires lighted 200-300 years ago?!? Who knew then about glycerine, kerosene and other technology that was invented in the past century? Try to think back in time and how you would do it with the then-technology and materials. Kind of ... how were the pyramids built? Please publish the answer when you think you know it ... I am too lazy to think right now. :biglaugh:

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Marc

Hunkered Down for the Duration
Staff member
Admin
May we remember that there were two kinds of council fire lightings. . . .the one that remains a mystery to most of us happened as "Coach" beat the Tom-Tom faster and faster until a little smoke erupted from the unlight fire and it mysteriously burst into flame. In my time (1952-55) usually the last council fire of the season was lighted by "fire from Heaven" where a fine wire was attached to the assembled firewood - the other end high in a tree back of the Tee-Pee. A trusted older camper shot a flaming arrow down the wire into the fire. Many of us were able to see through this technique as a sharp eye could see the wire as the flaming arrow shot downward toward the assembled firewood. I expect some kerosene was used as an accelerant. I seem to remember that a flaming, kerosene soaked roll of toilet paper was attached to the arrow. George Hausser 1952-55
Ah! I didn't remember it was an arrow. I just remember the flame coming 'out of the sky'. I don't remember seeing a wire, but I was only 10 years old. ;)

Marc

Hunkered Down for the Duration
Staff member
Admin
All these explanations and speculations are fine and dandy, except ... How were the fires lighted 200-300 years ago?!? Who knew then about glycerine, kerosene and other technology that was invented in the past century? Try to think back in time and how you would do it with the then-technology and materials. Kind of ... how were the pyramids built? Please publish the answer when you think you know it ... I am too lazy to think right now. :biglaugh:
You may not have noticed, but this is in regard to a summer camp (Tosebo) which wasn't around 200 to 300 years ago.

None the less, your point is well taken. I imagine the real Council Fires of the American Indians 200 to 300 years ago were not quite so 'magical', but one never knows about things like that.

B

black magic

What's my rush in posting here? I believe psychologists call the kind of dilema represented by knowing/not knowing how the fires started as an approach/avoidance conflict. I think I come down on Doc's side on this one.

I recall the "trusted older camper" who fired the flaming arrow at the last council of the year was the winner of the archery competition. Talk about incentive.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
H Hell Knows No fury than a Dissatisfied Customer Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 3
P HR knows I'm looking and that I've been applying for jobs Career and Occupation Discussions 23
E Anybody knows about Steris Corporations Wave-lens Technology Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 3
C SA 8000 Internal Audit - Anyone knows what a nonconformance in 9.7/9.7a be like? Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 14
K Who knows anything about Alliance International registrar? Registrars and Notified Bodies 1
Wes Bucey No one in the U.S. government knows about FMEA? After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 0
E PV test Frequency - Does anyone knows the frequency for PV tests? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
F Who knows DIN 1755 standard tolerance for brass tubes? Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 0
D ISO 9000 Management Review in a Small Company - Everyone knows what's happening Management Review Meetings and related Processes 33
R CQA Primer by the Quality Council of Indiana ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
M Informational EU – Guidance document Implant Card relating to the application of Article 18 Regulation (EU) 2017/745 of the European Parliament and of the Council o Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 2
M Informational EU – Employment, Social Policy, Health and Consumer Affairs Council Public session (Health) – AOB – medical devices Implementation of the regulation o Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
J GLP recognition via SCC (Standards Council of Canada) Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 1
B Do we need our Notified Body to be SCC (Standards Council of Canada) accredited? Registrars and Notified Bodies 6
C GCC (Gulf Cooperation Council) Audits of Manufacturing Site Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 5
T Auditors Reach - FSC (Forest Stewardship Council) Certification Audit Nonconformance Internal Auditing 12
P Looking for documentation on "Quality Council" Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 2
R What is the FORD Resource Council? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
Sidney Vianna AAQSC - Americas Aerospace Quality Standards Committee of the SAE Aerospace Council AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 0
B Environmental Awards in UAE or GCC (Gulf Cooperation Council) countries Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 1
B PEFC (Endorsement of Forest Certification) vs. FSC (Forest Stewardship Council) Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 8
B FSC (Forest Stewardship Council) Chain of Custody procedure examples wanted Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 4
Sidney Vianna ANAB Accreditation Council Drafts Client Bill of Rights ASQ, ANAB, UKAS, IAF, IRCA, Exemplar Global and Related Organizations 2
T CQL (Council on Quality and Leadership) Accreditation - Advice and example documents Hospitals, Clinics & other Health Care Providers 3
M Gulf Cooperation Council (GCC) Common Market for Medical Devices? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
G MSSC (Manufacturing Skills Standards Council) Quality And Continuous Improvement Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 2
Q Defunct SAC (Semiconductor Assembly Council) Standards Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 11
T EC Legislation - Power Difference on Directive, Commission Decision, Council Decision Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 2
R CQE Training Material - Quality Council of Indiana vs. Quality America Professional Certifications and Degrees 2
Wesley Richardson Quality Council of Indiana Users Forum May 1, 2006 Milwaukee Professional Certifications and Degrees 1
M CD simulation exam from Quality Council of Indiana - What's the latest version? Professional Certifications and Degrees 2
sonflowerinwales European Council Requirements for Small Businesses Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 2
D Council directive 76/769/ECC Re. Use of hazardous substances Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 1
A Quality Council of Indiana - ASQ's CQE and CQA Certification exam materials Professional Certifications and Degrees 23
I Would like to start a discussion on the usefulness of a Quality Council Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 2
Sidney Vianna RC 14001 - American Chemistry Council Responsible Care Requirements & ISO 14001 ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 22
Raffy SAC - Semiconductor Assembly Council General Auditing Discussions 1
A PPAP for Fire extinguisher APQP and PPAP 2
DitchDigger Boston Fire Code: Who Does What? (CAL TB 117-2013; CAL TB 133) Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 2
A Fire hazard classification - Clause in IEC 60601 about gauze and electricity ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 0
Marc Bourbon Lovers - A depressing fire - 3 July 2019 World News 2
shimonv Constructional requirements for fire ENCLOSURES of ME EQUIPMENT IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 1
Marc Paris' Notre Dame Cathedral is on fire - 15 April 2019 World News 10
Marc 200-year-old museum in Rio de Janeiro Destroyed by Fire - 2 SEPT 2018 World News 2
Hershal Fire disaster in Southern California (Blue Cut fire) - August 2016 Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 22
V PPAP After Fire at Supplier APQP and PPAP 4
M IEC 60601-1: 2012 - Subclause 11.3 - Constructional Requirements for Fire Enclosures IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 3
S Latest types of Fire Extinguishers in India Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 1
S How to Prepare an EHS Fire Mock Drill Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 1
B Fire Extinguisher Requirements for a Warehouse Vehicle Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 2