Search the Elsmar Cove!
**Search ALL of Elsmar.com** with DuckDuckGo including content not in the forum - Search results with No ads.

Who Knows The Council Fire Secret?

D

DrM2u

All these explanations and speculations are fine and dandy, except ... How were the fires lighted 200-300 years ago?!? Who knew then about glycerine, kerosene and other technology that was invented in the past century? Try to think back in time and how you would do it with the then-technology and materials. Kind of ... how were the pyramids built? Please publish the answer when you think you know it ... I am too lazy to think right now. :biglaugh:

Marc

Captain Nice
Staff member
Admin
May we remember that there were two kinds of council fire lightings. . . .the one that remains a mystery to most of us happened as "Coach" beat the Tom-Tom faster and faster until a little smoke erupted from the unlight fire and it mysteriously burst into flame. In my time (1952-55) usually the last council fire of the season was lighted by "fire from Heaven" where a fine wire was attached to the assembled firewood - the other end high in a tree back of the Tee-Pee. A trusted older camper shot a flaming arrow down the wire into the fire. Many of us were able to see through this technique as a sharp eye could see the wire as the flaming arrow shot downward toward the assembled firewood. I expect some kerosene was used as an accelerant. I seem to remember that a flaming, kerosene soaked roll of toilet paper was attached to the arrow. George Hausser 1952-55
Ah! I didn't remember it was an arrow. I just remember the flame coming 'out of the sky'. I don't remember seeing a wire, but I was only 10 years old. ;)

Marc

Captain Nice
Staff member
Admin
All these explanations and speculations are fine and dandy, except ... How were the fires lighted 200-300 years ago?!? Who knew then about glycerine, kerosene and other technology that was invented in the past century? Try to think back in time and how you would do it with the then-technology and materials. Kind of ... how were the pyramids built? Please publish the answer when you think you know it ... I am too lazy to think right now. :biglaugh:
You may not have noticed, but this is in regard to a summer camp (Tosebo) which wasn't around 200 to 300 years ago.

None the less, your point is well taken. I imagine the real Council Fires of the American Indians 200 to 300 years ago were not quite so 'magical', but one never knows about things like that.

B

black magic

What's my rush in posting here? I believe psychologists call the kind of dilema represented by knowing/not knowing how the fires started as an approach/avoidance conflict. I think I come down on Doc's side on this one.

I recall the "trusted older camper" who fired the flaming arrow at the last council of the year was the winner of the archery competition. Talk about incentive.

Top Bottom