Who Mandates the ISO 14001 Standard?

Marc

Fully vaccinated are you?
Leader
To: "Marc Timothy Smith"
Subject: Re: ISO 14001
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2001 16:16:35 -0500

Re: ISO 14001

Thank you for your quick reply. But I still need help. What I'm trying to find out is..... AIAG "handles" the aspects of QS-9000, who does the same for ISO14001? Also how are ISO 14001 and TS 16949 related?

Thanks again for any help you can give.

On 2/16/01 3:47 PM, Brittani Halaquist wrote:

Marc,

This may seem like an odd question and I'm hoping you can help me. Do you know who specifically mandates the ISO 14001 standard? Could you help me out? Or help point me in the right direction? I am a previous contributor to the forums and I would appreciate any help I can get. Thank you.

Brittani

The Geneva folks make the document up. I'm not sure what technical committee is in charge, but it's the same folks who brought you ISO 9001. www.iso.ch I think.

As far as who 'specifically mandates' it - Your customers. I think there are a few countries which mandate it for specific industries but that's beyond me. You might try asking this question in the forums.

[This message has been edited by Marc Smith (edited 16 February 2001).]

Marc

Fully vaccinated are you?
Leader
->Also how are ISO 14001 and TS 16949 related?

They aren't.

->What I'm trying to find out is..... AIAG "handles" the
->aspects of QS-9000, who does the same for ISO14001?

I'm sorry but I don't understand what you mean by 'handles the aspects of...'. Printing and distribution? Content? Control?

ISO 14001 is an ISO document. The ISO folks in Switzerland are responsible for all aspects of ISO 14001 that I know of except that each country's standards body is responsible for printing and distribution within their country.

B

Brittani

Marc,
When I say handling I mean who controls it. Not the printing or distribution. Do you think it goes through the ISO "Geneva" people?

A

Alan Greatbatch

There is a note in the Forward of ISO14001 saying "ISO14001 was prepared by Technical Committe ISO/TC 207, Environmental Management, Subcommittee SC1, Environmental management sytems."

Also more can be found at http://www.tc207.org/

I hope this helps.

D

Dan Larsen

Three days?!!!! For all THREE standards?!!!!

Either this was for a smaller company or I GOTTA get the name of that registrar!

:)

A

Alan Greatbatch

At my last company we went for certification for QS9000 & ISO14001 together. Mainly because we needed VDA6.1, which is the German equivalent of QS but with the addition of many environmental requirements. So, in one 3 day audit we were audited for QS9000, ISO14001 and VDA6.1. I think it is much easier to combine these from the start and plan it as one exercise and one audit especially if you are supplying parts to both Europe and the US.

------------------
Alan Greatbatch

A

Alan Greatbatch

It was a group qualification we were the last site to be audited and the smallest (40 people). We used a common documentation system between 3 sites. So, the complete audit for the company was nearly 2 weeks.
Sorry for the confusion!

------------------
Alan Greatbatch

Top Bottom