Who Moved My Cheese - Review - "An A-Mazing way to Deal with Change"

J

Jim Biz

Here's hoping everyone that sees the title of this thread is as INTRIGUED as I was!!

Fact: Mrs Biz left for a full week of training this Monday...

In her travles she had brought hme a VERY SMALL book that I found when I was doing my Home-body "Honey-Do's"

The title caught My eye - simply it said
"WHO MOVED MY CHEESE?"

What I found in a very quick read through - is information that can be applied to many threads in the COVE.

--- Changing cultures- civility - humor - Top level Mangement commitment et.all. >> The book is written by the same folks that produced "One Miniute Manager" (Spencer Johnson, MD is the main author - Kenneth Blanchard Ph.D has provided the foreward.

"CHEESE" as it turns out is a metaphore for all the Good things we individually expect to find in our workplaces & in our personal life as well...

The Cover insert reads.. like this:

WHO MOVED MY CHEESE?
An A-Mazing way to Deal with Change

A simple parable revealing profond truths about change and how we deal with it. Amusing/ enlightning of 4 "characters" - live in a MAZE looking for Cheese to nourish them and make them happy

Sniff & Scurry are lowerlevel mice and HEM & HAW are little people the size of mice that are all looking for the Cheese in their lives.

Cheese as it turns out is a symbol of everything/anything that each of them feels is good... A job, A relationship, money, a possession, health, or peace of mind.

THE MAZE is where they look for what they want (could be where we work, were we live, or our families, or community)

The characters are facedwith "UNEXPECTED CHANGE" and the 94 page book (in large bold type) leads the reader through how each character reacts to change - when their personal Cheese is moved without their prior knowledge or without any control at all.

ISBN number 0-399-14446-3
US$19.95 per copy

Website www.whomovedmycheese.com

This takes about 1 hour to read start to finish (the use/understanding an application of what it contains is well worth anyones time).

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
H

HFowler

Good Book!

Jim,

I've read the book and since bought the audio version. I have also recommended it to friends, especially those who find themselves changing jobs or needing to.

Hank Fowler

J

Jim Biz

Wonderment ??

Hank - Did you find it to be as "down to earth & interesting as I did"?

And just from a curious viewpoint - which character are you "most of the time"?? ;) I found myself to be a cross between Haw & Scurry :bigwave:

Atul Khandekar

Quite Involved in Discussions
A good book. Made an absorbing reading the first time I read it a few months back. On second reading after a while, however, I thought it had a rather over-simplified, naive representation of characters.
Just my personal opinion.

J

Jim Biz

Atul: Guess I figured the obvious over-smplification was one of the best parts of it from a K.I.S.S. outlook.

Doubt that anyone reading it could not > on any given day < figure out which character his co-worker was playing :rolleyes:

Russ

cheese

Jim, I thought the book was a great read. It may be oversimplified but it helped me see how some of my co-workers are. You just have to laugh when you see how some are protecting their cheese. Great book!

H

HFowler

Jim,

I too seem to be a cross between "Haw and Scurry". Like staying too long in a situation that I know is headed nowhere and finally deciding to make a change for the better. I wonder if anyone has seen the movie?

Hank

gpainter

Good book, gave it to my 6th grader to read, she took it to school, the teacher asked to read it and then read it to the entire class. Another one with this same type of format but not as good is WI$DOM ON THE GREEN isbn 0-9713222-0-1 which is centered around golf and six sigma. One of the authors is involved in a seminar at Indianapolis In. You can check the seminar out at www.reciprocalonline.com. I would liked to have went buuuut THE AUDITORS ARE COMING.

Last edited:

Atul Khandekar

What do you think is the Moral of the Story?

I read the book once again. Parables will almost always be simplistic, I agree, because that's the way they are supposed to be. You may be tempted to put yourself and those around you into one of those slots. But real life situations can be a bit more complex (like a cross between one and the other). I have had my cheese moved at least once in my life (unfortunately it was much before this book was published :)) There has also been an occasion when I have got fed up of the cheese I was having and willfully went in search of another!

Anyway, Here's a question:
If you were asked to summarize the message or the moral of the story in one sentence, how would you put it?

And here's my take: Never be complacent in any situation.
-Atul

Last edited:

Kevin Mader

One of THE Original Covers!
Staff member
Admin
My take:

For the person being exposed for the first time to a Change Model, I think most will find the parable easy to understand and entertaining.

For the person aware of a change model, it will reaffirm ones understanding. I think that they will still find the parable entertaining and a decent reference.

From my perspective, Johnson and Blanchard overlook one very important distinction: Cyclical change and Structural change. This oversight for me makes the story incomplete. But then again, I may be too fussy!!!

Kevin

:bigwave:

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Tom W Book Report - Who Moved My Cheese? Imported Legacy Blogs 1
Marc MDD Harmonized List of Standards Website Moved Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 1
A Process moved to new building - Now we are in trouble IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 8
W Depth Gage Spindle moved when changing Contact Point Calibration and Metrology Software and Hardware 6
Ajit Basrur FDA - "We Moved Forward on Many Fronts This Year" - Margaret A. Hamburg, M.D. US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 1
G Have moved on from AS9100 B to C AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
P Earned Value Calculation when you have moved forward but work is not complete Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 1
gard2372 ISO 17025 Certified Calibration Laboratory Has Moved Facilities ISO 17025 related Discussions 6
M Looking for a Mentor - Moved from an IT position to Quality Manager position Career and Occupation Discussions 5
B PPAP and Part Sample Warrant (PSW) Requirements if a Machine is Moved APQP and PPAP 21
B Is a certified microbiology test laboratory required? Milk and Cheese Processing Food Safety - ISO 22000, HACCP (21 CFR 120) 5
S Management Review (9.3) - Management Review Minutes/Report ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
J ISO 13485 System 'soft start' - How to best reflect this in initial audits, management review minutes and other records? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
M Forms review Manufacturing and Related Processes 5
V Quality review Meeting with Customer for complaints we received Customer Complaints 6
C Contract Review with Multiple Line items ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 7
O ISO 13485 - Is management review required before stage 1? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
G ISO 17025-2017 Management Review reporting items - Inputs ISO 17025 related Discussions 1
I Management review in conformity assessment standards - Certification Bodies Management Review Meetings and related Processes 6
D CSV - Periodic Review Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 1
qualprod To set frequency to review documents in ISO 9001 7.5? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 13
S Has anybody done IMS - Management Review Meeting ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 8
T Management review meeting workflow ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 9
M What to be careful about/focus on when doing a Technical File review EU Medical Device Regulations 4
Watchcat Anyone had an MDR technical file review/audit yet? EU Medical Device Regulations 13
B Label Review for Class II Device US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 0
A Help with Drawing Review - ISO 9001:2015 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
Casana ISO 9001 - 9.3.1 Management Review - Attendees in a flat organization Management Review Meetings and related Processes 6
C Management Review Agenda Management Review Meetings and related Processes 20
A Literature review/HACCP validation of metal detection Food Safety - ISO 22000, HACCP (21 CFR 120) 0
Q Do Management Review records have to be on a controlled form? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 30
J ISO 9001:2015 Small Operation Management Review General Auditing Discussions 6
F Process Review - What is the ISO requirement for reviewing SOPs and quality documentation? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
N MDR review process by notified body - How many steps exist in the review process EU Medical Device Regulations 0
W ISO 9001:2015 Management Review Input Template wanted ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
M Informational US FDA paper – Epidemiological Evidence on the Adverse Health Effects Reports in Relation to Mercury from Dental Amalgam: Systematic Literature Review Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M Informational TGA Consultation: Review of the regulation of certain self-testing IVDs in Australia Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M Informational US FDA Final Guidance – Acceptance Review for De Novo Classification Requests Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 1
C Design Transfer Review - Before or after PQ validation? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 5
M Setting deadlines (ex. 45 days) for Document Registration & Review Cycle Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
G ISO 9001 - 9.3.1 Management Review - Content and Frequency Management Review Meetings and related Processes 12
Nicole Desouza Contract / Customer Order Review Checklist Needed Manufacturing and Related Processes 12
M Informational Updated US FDA Resources for Third Party Review Organizations Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
D Document review on already approved registrations requested by China's NMPA? China Medical Device Regulations 3
J Literature Review (marketing etc) ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
M Informational US FDA – Requests for Supervisory Review of Certain Decisions Made by the Center for Devices and Radiological Health – Final Rule Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
S ISO 9001:2015 Clause 9.3.2 - MR (Management Review) - Adequacy of resources ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
Q How to run a Management Review Management Review Meetings and related Processes 10
W Scope of MRB (Material Review Board) Responsibilities Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 5
W Internal Auditing carried out by a 3rd party - Review of previous audits AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3