Who polices/surveils Class I Medical Devices in the EU?

Mark Meer

Trusted Information Resource
Curious: what surveillance mechanisms exists for the conformity of Class I devices in the EU?

Unlike other classes of device, Class I devices have self-declared ER conformity, and can CE-mark without the involvement of a notified body (NB).

Given that there is no NB involved, does this mean no surveillance audits? If so, how is ER conformity of Class I devices policed?

I presume that any reportable events, advisory notices, recalls, etc. may trigger surveillance. But absent any such device issues, can a manufacturer of Class I devices expect any sort of surveillance/audits with respect to their self-declared CE-marked Class I devices?

MM.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

paulag

Involved In Discussions
§ 26 of German Medical Devices Act states that all medical devices (manufacturers) are subject to national authority surveillance, regardless of classification. Before placing a medical device on the German market, you have to inform the local authority about the device, the contact Person, etc.... even with simple class I devices

Each member state of the EU, and states that are part of EFTA (and Turkey), have a designated authority known as the Competent Authority (CA).

The list of CAs is here:

https://ec.europa.eu/docsroom/documents/19262/attachments/1/translations/en/renditions/native

In addition to being the countries 'regulator' and place of device registration, the CA authorises 'Clinical Investigations' and also supervises, audits and authorises Notified Bodies within it's state.

Mark Meer

Thank you for all the replies. ...but I'm unfortunately still unclear.

To clarify: I'm curious about the systems in place for ACTIVELY surveiling Class I manufacturers.

As I say, in any other class, manufacturers are subject to annual audits, and unannounced audits by NBs. With Class I, however, is there any schedule of inspections/audits?

The MHRA link that dgrainger posted only says they have the right to conduct inspections, but it sounds like these are in "for cause" cases...

Can Class I manufacturers expect any kind of action (inspections/audits) absent any "for cause" issues?

pkost

As Ronen said, in short, there is typically no scheduled audits/inspections. Remember that these are low risk devices, therefore why prioritise their inspection?

That being said, there are some country specific exceptions Turkey for one will inspect Class I technical files, I believe Spain may inspect sites of medical device manufacturers (this is by no means a definitive list)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
F Class A - sterile vs non sterile EU Medical Device Regulations 5
B Painted surface of a protective Class I equipment. CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 1
B Post-Market Surveillance Requirements for Canada - class IIa/IIb device Canada Medical Device Regulations 1
N Direct Part Marking of the "CE" symbol- Class I Device EU Medical Device Regulations 1
A PMSR or PSUR for legacy MDD-class I becoming MDR class-IIa EU Medical Device Regulations 7
T PMCF Surveys for Class II a devices: basic requisites EU Medical Device Regulations 0
T PMCF Surveys for Class II a devices : basic requisites CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 0
D Conformity Assessment for a System Class IIb EU Medical Device Regulations 0
F Philippines: Old Certificate of exemption for Class B device and new LTO. How to proceed? Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 0
R Class I MDSW CE Mark CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 6
N Class III PMA shelf life extension US Medical Device Regulations 2
A Class 2b medical device - best pathway to obtain CE mark? (2022, MDR 2017/745) CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 2
A Class 2a CE Mark Regulatory Pathway CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 1
normhowe Surprising shoe policies for Class 7 Cleanrooms US Medical Device Regulations 5
L Class I under MDD EU Medical Device Regulations 1
C Legacy device under Class A sterile devices EU Medical Device Regulations 0
N FDA class 1 US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 6
P Self Certified Class 1 MDR 2017/745 Design Change CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 2
M UDI IVD Medical Device Class III US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 1
M Class Exempt Medical Device Recall Question US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 3
J Clinical Evaluation For Instruments - Class I, Class Ir, Class Im, and Class IIa - EU MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 4
XRAY_3121 Class II heating pad - does the power supply have to have IEC 60601-1 testing?? US Medical Device Regulations 5
T Testing for proving food safety on USP class vi material RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 0
N FDA class 2 Device QS Requirements US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 2
D Class I Shelf-life requirements EU Medical Device Regulations 5
K Class I Medical Device Registration EU Medical Device Regulations 11
dgrainger Informational Common Specifications for certain class D IVDs EU Medical Device Regulations 0
S BASIC UDI-DI for a class IIa device marketed in a Procedure kit EU Medical Device Regulations 1
M From Class 1 to Acessory EU Medical Device Regulations 4
Q Class I Medical Device with measuring function (UK MDR 2002 / MDD) UK Medical Device Regulations 3
R Class II Active Medical Device SYSTEMS and COMPONENTS Canada Medical Device Regulations 2
S Drawing Requirements for Catalog Items (Class II Medical Device) US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 3
M Labeling IVD Class III Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
L Class II Accessory Labeling Conundrum US Medical Device Regulations 19
H Mapping QMS+business processes in a medical device with class I and IIa+b Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 3
S Labeling requirements for class 1, fashion sunglasses US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 0
B Can a software that receive data from a MD be classified as Class I?or is not a MD? EU Medical Device Regulations 5
N Shelf life guidance EU MDR, class 1 and class 2 Medical Devices EU Medical Device Regulations 2
S Can a product option change the product class? CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 2
D Class III license: Add new device to the license system Canada Medical Device Regulations 1
P Servicing of Class IIb devices under MDD EU Medical Device Regulations 2
marmotte Help with Surgical Class I + 510(k) exemption US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 0
R Is "SAFE" permitted in class 1 medical device marketing claims? US Medical Device Regulations 1
D Shelf life of non sterile class IIb product. ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
ChrisM Class 1 non-sterile device, need certified QMS or not? EU Medical Device Regulations 2
S Reintroduce packaging component/med device from white room back to class 7 clean room Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
Steve Prevette I need a template to solve world hunger, a world class Quality Program, and make lots of money Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 5
Edward Reesor Class I non-sterile "Shelf Life" labeling (EU/UK) CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 4
T Class III device and shelf life data requirements US Medical Device Regulations 7
D Is sampling allowed for MDR Class III products? EU Medical Device Regulations 0