Who shall manage PPAP process?

niotusen

Registered Visitor
Hi I sometimes wonder who shall manage a PPAP process and who is the process owner in a company?

We have Quality dept as PPAP owner, but sometimes thinking isnt the owner of PPAP the production?

Many companies has Q-dept that are collecting and creating all PPAP documents.. incl PSW is signed by Q..

What are your thoughts?
Is there a mix or is it always Q dept that are responsible and as manager/owner??

Thanks!

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Ron Rompen

Trusted Information Resource
The norm for me in the last 20+ years has been that the Quality department owns and is responsible for PPAP submissions (and all associated documentation). However, in my CURRENT company, the engineering department is responsible for this (as well as control plans, etc). Each company is a little different in how they handle it, but there is no specific requirement anywhere that I am aware of.

niotusen

Registered Visitor
Thanks wondering if there are some other ways to manage PPAPs?

Heard some company have special/educated PPAP staff "rented" in like consulting when there are many new PPAPs in a company, makes me wondering if this is an okay way to manage it?
Guess PSW has to be signed by someone in your company that can declare PPAP is made correct? Or?
Thanks!
/Hans Carlsson

If you take the viewpoint that whomever designed the process (manufacturing engineering or similar) have to prove that their process works, then they could "own" the PPAP process.

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Staff member
Admin
Heard some company have special/educated PPAP staff "rented" in like consulting when there are many new PPAPs in a company, makes me wondering if this is an okay way to manage it?
Outsourcing part of the PPAP process is, obviously, possible. But, if you do it, you have the additional responsibility to ensure the external source helping you managing the PPAP process is competent for the function.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
R Shall a new UDI-DI be required when stand-alone software device's version is updated? EU Medical Device Regulations 1
A What does this sentence "this symbol shall be used in the orientation shown" mean in ISO 780:2015? Other Medical Device Related Standards 4
S Mandatory documents vs shall "something" but without mandatory documents ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 17
S Use of "Shall" versus "Should" in Procedures ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 21
K ISO 17025:2017 clause 7.6.2 - Performing calibration of its own equipment shall evaluate the measurement uncertainty ISO 17025 related Discussions 6
R Deciding if a medical device shall be supplied sterile or not Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 5
J AS9104-1 Clause 18.1 (a) (b) - Organizations (contractor) shall be required to allow access to Tier 2 data AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 7
A DHF File - Shall the document cover all the variants? Design and Development of Products and Processes 2
B IATF 16949 clause 7.1.5.1.1 - Statistical studies shall be conducted IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
J AS9100D Cl. 8.4.3d - The organization shall communicate to external providers... AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
J Japan's Definition of Should and Shall Japan Medical Device Regulations 1
M IATF 16949 Cl. 7.1.5.1.1 - Statistical studies shall be conducted IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
K Measurement system analysis "shall be conducted to analyze the variation..." Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 3
shimonv 21 CFR 820.20(d) says: Each manufacturer shall establish a Quality Plan 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 4
P Do I need to Register with FDA? How shall my structure of processes look like? US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 4
D Shall the first Internal Audit cover all the processes of the company? Internal Auditing 17
S Internal Auditors shall not audit their own work? Internal Auditing 21
A Shall I apply for this job position (Quality Manager)? Career and Occupation Discussions 5
M How strictly are "Shall" and "Should" interpreted? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
A ISO 17025 sections state "Shall have a Policy and Procedure" ISO 17025 related Discussions 2
x-files Documents required by the quality management system shall be controlled ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 12
X Shall not exceed 2 working weeks = shall not exceed within 10 working days? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
L Quality Manager wants Internal Auditor to softgrade the findings - What shall I do? Internal Auditing 23
B Shall issue CAR when KPI fail? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
A Shall we raise SCAR/CAR for every defect as per our current procedure? Nonconformance and Corrective Action 4
M Shall Customer Questionnaire (8.2) be Verified according to 7.6? TS 16949 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 7
J Safety Special Equipment (e.g. lift, boiler) shall be audited by ISO 9001? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
Q Outsourced Process also shall be Documented? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
S Clause 7.6 - "Shall have Identification in order to determine its calibration status" ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 34
M AS9100 Clause 4.2.3 requirements - Documents required by the QMS shall be Controlled AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 13
K How to apply IEC 62366 and what shall be changed in establishing a Technical File ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
sagai Required Documentation for 820.25(b) - What does "Training shall be documented" mean 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 15
D Calibration Certificate - 'test report shall not be reproduced except in full' General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
C The organisation shall Establish, Implement & Maintain a Procedure(s)? ISO 14001 ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 21
T Quality Manual shall Outline Structure of Documentation - Clause 4.2.2 ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 10
V The organization shall have internal auditors - 8.2.2.5 - Internal auditors IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 6
E AS9100 section 7.6 "D" - Equipment shall be safeguarded from adjustments General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 17
L ISO 17025 4.12: "...potential sources of nonconformities...shall be identified." ISO 17025 related Discussions 21
T No substitutions shall be used - I need help from those with experience AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
O CQI-9 #1.9 - Heat Treatment - Management shall review the furnace monitoring systems IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
T Internal audits shall also meet contract and/or regulatory requirements AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
P Separating "Shall" requirements from "Should" detail ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 11
H When shall I recalculate control limit? Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 5
P Specified stages of design and development shall be defined - TS 16949 clause 7.3.4.1 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
GStough REACH and ISO 9001:2000/13485:2003 - Never the Twain Shall Meet? RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 4
G What kind of documents shall be prepared by a Multidisciplinary approach? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
Z Shall we only control the Inspection card of the most assembled Product? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
C Test records shall show actual test results data - 8.2.4.1 Inspection documentation AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
K Measuring Equipment shall be Safeguarded Against Adjustments - ISO9001 7.6 (d) General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 6
Douglas E. Purdy Personnel performing specific assigned tasks shall be qualified - Interpretation IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 6