Who should be appointed as the Management Representative?

L

Lazarus154

Hello everyone

This is my first post so I look forward to your advice and opinion, Hopefully I will be able to contribute to the forums in the near future.
Our Company was recently audited for our AS9100/9110 and 9120 accreditations. The auditor advised that the Management Representative should be the QA Manager however, I always thought the Management Representative should be in senior management, with a thorough understanding of Company operations and business plans. In our case, this would be our Person Responsible for Maintenance/Director of Maintenance.
Does anyone have any advice concerning the appointment of the Management Representative?

Thank you for any input you may offer....

Randy

Super Moderator
Re: Management Representative

Here's what the requirement is and your auditor is so incorrect you could possibly file a complaint against him for lack of objectivity and potential conflict of interest.

"Top management shall appoint a member of the organization's management who, irrespective of other responsibilities"

This means any person that your Top management determines to be appropriate and it does not require justification. It doesn't have to be anyone with a quality background or any specific background at all because the requirement specifically states "Irrespective of other responsibilities" ...So if your Top management deems is appropriate for your finance, HR, or even manager of janitorial services to be the MR and not the quality guru, it is Top managements decision alone without need to provide reasoning or explanation.

Some may dispute this reasoning, but to do so is to inject their beliefs into the process taking away from the actual requirement.

Big Jim

Admin

The concept that the quality manager needs to be the management representative is just as incorrect as Randy has posted.

This stems from "old school" thinking when top management took no interest in quality management systems and simply assigned anything with "quality" in the name to the quality manager with the attitude that no one else need worry about it.

I have seen exceptional quality management systems where other managers have been assigned or assumed the duties of the management representative, including the controller, the president, and the HR manager.

That auditor is going to be shocked when ISO 9001:2015 rolls out (and the AS standards will follow) and he discovers that the title of management representative goes away. The wording remains very close to the same except that top management is substituted for management representative. That's really where it always belonged.

JLyt207

Involved In Discussions

Don't forget that with AS they need the "organizational freedom and unrestricted access to top management to resolve quality management issues."

One thing my predecessor accomplished that I really like was to change the org chart. Although I am a Quality Manager I don't report to the Director of Quality. I report to the VP of Operations same as the DQ. We only have 2 VP's, the other is sales. So I am only one org chart step away from the CEO. I think it has a lot of benefits, especially with the perception of my role by other managers.

L

Lazarus154

Hello Randy

Thank you for your prompt response and great advice. I will certainly keep this in mind as I am currently revising the Company Policy Manual.

Lazarus

L

Lazarus154

Hello Big Jim

Thank you for your advice. I was unaware of the 9001:2015 change, it's good news. Thank you once again.

Lazarus

L

Lazarus154

Hello JLyt207

Thank you for your input, our Organization appears to be structured in a similar manner. Although I fall under the DOM for administrative matters, my position is 'dotted lined' directly to the VP\GM for all quality related issues. Thank you once again.

Lazarus

Top Bottom