Who should prepare DVP for components? Our suppliers or our product engineering?

L

leon song

Recently our company had a discussion and argue about the responsibility of Component DVP.
Certainly our product engineering will prepare the assembly DVP for our customers, but we can not reach the agreement about Who should prepare DVP for components, our suppliers or our product engineering?

D

Detbyron

Re: Who should prepare DVP for components, our suppliers or our product engineering?

I think whoever is design responsible for the component should be responsible for the DVP. Even if your supplier is design responsible, you should still review and approve their DVP, and probably you should have some expectations/assumptions as to what would be included in the DVP.
(Ultimetly if there is a failure at YOUR customer, they are going to come to you, not your supplier, so it is ultimetly YOUR responsibility to ensure everything is designed proerly.)

D

Dean Frederickson

Re: Who should prepare DVP for components, our suppliers or our product engineering?

For anybody out there like me, that does not know what DVP stands for I think it is Design Verification Program:bigwave:

D

Detbyron

I assumed Leon meant Design Verification Plan.

(I have actually never heard of Design Verification Program)

I was surprised to find netiher DVP nor DVP&R included within the definitions and acronyms section of this forum.
The AIAG APQP Manual (Revision 1) has DVP&R in Appendix B:
"The Design Verification Plan and Report (DVP&R) is a method to plan and document testing activity through each phase of product/process development from inception to ongoing refinement. This method is used by Chrysler and Ford."

C

crentinger

I think whoever is design responsible for the component should be responsible for the DVP. Even if your supplier is design responsible, you should still review and approve their DVP, and probably you should have some expectations/assumptions as to what would be included in the DVP.

Detbyron is absolutely right. You should be producing the DVP. The purpose of design verification is to ensure the design works in your application to the standards you establish. Notice the use of you and your. If you do not do the DVP, then the risk is very high that the supplier will miss something that is a critical known unknown for your application. Only the customer knows application.

L

leon song

(Ultimetly if there is a failure at YOUR customer, they are going to come to you, not your supplier, so it is ultimetly YOUR responsibility to ensure everything is designed proerly.)

I agree with you. We do have the design resposibility to prepare the drawings, specs for our suppliers. But the problem is, should we have to prepare the DVP, maybe it is better to be prepared by suppliers. Because the suppliers have to understand our drawings, specs..., and then they can prepare the DVP.
Certainly we will review and approve the DVP. But the topic we argued is WHO prepares the record(DVP).

D

Detbyron

So it sounds like the question is not really who is responsible to decide the content, but actaully who is responsible for keeping and updating the documentation? Ok.

In that case I would say the supplier, especially if they will be the ones conducting/coordinating the tests; and then of course you would need to approve it before starting.

You can also try to refer to the RFQ / contract to see if DV level testing was included in their responsibility. (If it wasn't, they may come back asking for more money?!?)

If you require to include PV level testing in the DVP, then I think that there is no question that it would be their responsibility. If you don't, then I think you could require them to create a PVP to cover their PV testing as well.

This is all just opinion based on 7yrs experience as a Project Engineer. Good luck.

L

leon song

So it sounds like the question is not really who is responsible to decide the content, but actaully who is responsible for keeping and updating the documentation? Ok.

In that case I would say the supplier, especially if they will be the ones conducting/coordinating the tests; and then of course you would need to approve it before starting.

You can also try to refer to the RFQ / contract to see if DV level testing was included in their responsibility. (If it wasn't, they may come back asking for more money?!?)

If you require to include PV level testing in the DVP, then I think that there is no question that it would be their responsibility. If you don't, then I think you could require them to create a PVP to cover their PV testing as well.

This is all just opinion based on 7yrs experience as a Project Engineer. Good luck.

Yes, thanks very much for your clarification!
What you are saying is same with me, totally agree with you!
Our Purchasing didn't add any requirements to prepare DVP&PVP in RFQ package to suppliers. Actually they are trying to protect the suppliers and ask our Product Engineering to prepare the DVP/PVP for our suppliers. That is the problem and the reason why Engineering argues with Purchasing....

Now the argue is continued....

J

Jaroslaw.Malkowski

DVP - it depends.
Example: Our company order PPAP. Some requirements are listed on the drawing. To meet it DVP is provided by supplier.
The same part goes to the other one - is assembled in our Co - so it is our responsability to perform those tests.
I think it is a political question = money :)

Top Bottom