Who should Sign Supplier PPAP (Production Part Approval Process) documents?

F

Falken

Hi

I am currently implementing the supplier PPAP process at my company. I have a question regarding signing of PPAP’s from suppliers.

We have an organization with three candidates of signing the PPAP from suppliers

Product owner: The owner of the finished product when put in to the market (contains several components with separate PPAP’s). The responsibilities include product quality, deliverability and cost.

Senior Buyer: Is responsible for finding the right supplier and making the commercial agreements.

Supplier Quality Assurance Manager: Responsible for supplier quality

Which one is most fit to sign the supplier PPAP’s?

Thanks
Fredrik

T

TSRao

Re: Signing of supplier PPAP's

Quality head is the most appropriate one who should sign on PSW's as he represents the organisation in quality related issues

T S Rao

Howard Atkins

Forum Administrator
Leader
Admin

There is no right answer, but I believe that the person who finally approves the PPAP should sign

F

Falken

There is no right answer, but I believe that the person who finally approves the PPAP should sign

Hi, and thanks

I am with you in that the person finally approving the PPAP should sign. In that case, how should finally approve the PPAP?

Best regards
Fredrik

U

Umang Vidyarthi

Hi, and thanks

I am with you in that the person finally approving the PPAP should sign. In that case, how should finally approve the PPAP?

Best regards
Fredrik

IMO your 'supplier quality assurance manager' is the appropriate authority for approving and signing the PPAP.

/Umang :D

Kales Veggie

People: The Vital Few
Re: Who should Sign Supplier PPAP's (production part approval process documents)?

That depends on your organizational structure.

Most often I have seen that the Supplier Quality Engineer signs the warrant and therefore giving final approval. Before approval is given, the submission (documentation and parts, if any) must be reviewed by the SQE and/or by experts in certain areas (material reports, test reports, capability studies, FMEA, control plan, GR&R and so on). Some companies have multiple approvals (for example an approved PPAP/PSW means that the supplier gets paid for tooling and PPAP samples. Tooling cost can be thousand of dollars or euros. The SQE might not be the right person to give final approval, but could sign it).

It also depends what kind of PPAP it is. Often it is a partial PPAP (after implementing a change). In those cases, the SQE might be the sole approver and signer

Like with many processes you have to look at your company, its culture and history and design a process that works for you.

The most important for your company would be that the product is meeting all your requirements. A team review of the PPAP may be appropriate in some cases. Who's signature would not matter after the internal review is complete and gives the OK to approve. SQE most likely would sign.

Hope this helps...

Last edited:

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin
Re: Who should Sign Supplier PPAP's (production part approval process documents)?

Hi

I am currently implementing the supplier PPAP process at my company. I have a question regarding signing of PPAP’s from suppliers.

We have an organization with three candidates of signing the PPAP from suppliers

Product owner: The owner of the finished product when put in to the market (contains several components with separate PPAP’s). The responsibilities include product quality, deliverability and cost.

Senior Buyer: Is responsible for finding the right supplier and making the commercial agreements.

Thanks
Fredrik

The person who has responsibility to act on the supplier's behalf should sign the warrant. A title isn't necessarily a reliable indicator. This is one reason that ISO 9000 puts emphasis on defining responsibility and authority. I've seen cases where a quality manager made a decision that was later overridden by a higher manager on the grounds that the QM lacked the necessary authority. If you're not sure who does have authority in any supplier's organization, look to their ISO documentation, if there is any. If there isn't, get it in writing from an authority higher in the organization than the proposed signer.

E

Engr.gauravnarula

Hi

Thanks
Fredrik

:agree::agree::agree::agree::agree::agree::agree::agree::agree::agree:

R

raymondsmlui

We had faced some problem with PPAP approved by SQE only as SQE may not understand the technical product requirement. So, now the PPAP must be signed by both SQE and the Product Engineer. It seems better.
:)

V

vijayasekar

Quality assurance manager is the right person to sign off the ppap document. before sigh off he will conduct all trails and checkn fit, functional and aesthatic issues. If all are acceptable then only sign off the document

Top Bottom