Who's responsible for verification of customer specifications?

Looking for supporting clauses in IATF 16949 / ISO 9001 that define who is responsible for tracking revisions of customer specs? (drawings, engineering spec, material, quality manuals etc...

The issue I'm trying to solve is if the customer doesn't tell you a spec rev'd up and there's no portal. Is everyone doing a manual check with ALL customers?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Leader
Admin
The issue I'm trying to solve is if the customer doesn't tell you a spec rev'd up and there's no portal. Is everyone doing a manual check with ALL customers?
Have you ever had a shipment rejected by this customer due to this problem? Have you ever asked them how you are supposed to become aware of revised requirements if they don't have a process to facilitate that? Consider a CCAR (Customer Corrective Action Request) trigger.

Enghabashy

Quite Involved in Discussions
I see that the Customer representative / management representative in your company is responsible ,he is responsible to representing & communicating as automotive supplier with your automotive customer relating any issues ' including reviewing the Specs.,
*the above statement is not mean that the task of reviewing is only for 1 person ; each process owner in your org. should share the review relavant his own task ; finally they shall coordinate all issues with the assigned customer representative

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Leader
Admin
I see that the Customer representative / management representative in your company is responsible ,he is responsible to representing & communicating as automotive supplier with your automotive customer relating any issues ' including reviewing the Specs.,
You see it? Where do you see it? Why it it a he? Why can't be a she? Why can't you see the problem is that THE CUSTOMER has not established a PROCESS to communicate the revision status to suppliers? From the supplier's side, 7.5.3.2.2 stipulates that the supplier has 10 working days, following receipt of notification to review the changes and it's impacts. But the problem is in this case, NO NOTIFICATION is being triggered.

Have you ever had a shipment rejected by this customer due to this problem? Have you ever asked them how you are supposed to become aware of revised requirements if they don't have a process to facilitate that? Consider a CCAR (Customer Corrective Action Request) trigger.
Yes we have "missed" customer requirements. This has exposed our CR process and needs improving.

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin
The purchase orders issued to you from customers should cite the applicable requirements and revision levels. This should be checked by someone in your organization every time a new PO is received. You are not beholden (legally at least) to meet any requirements that aren't cited in a contract.

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Leader
Admin
Yes we have "missed" customer requirements. This has exposed our CR process and needs improving.
So, according to what you are saying, the customer has no PUSH system (e.g. automated notifications/alerts) to alert you that a revised specification is available. As Jim said above, their PO's should indicate the revision level for the specs applicable to the orders, unless provided elsewhere. As I mentioned in my previous post, IATF 16949 7.5.3.2.2 stipulates that the supplier (you) has 10 working days, following receipt of notification to review the changes and it's impacts. But it does imply a customer notification. If the customer is not notifying you, they are failing to comply with ISO 9001 and IATF 16949 7.5.3.2.

Short of a PUSH system, the customer expects you, the supplier, to communicate with them to PULL the information on a periodical basis, which is an asinine process. Nevertheless, a process has be in place. So, if they want your organization to send an email every day, week, month, quarter, etc...you have to assign someone in your end and they must do the same. And you need to keep records of the communication, in case you have disputes later on.

Ron Rompen

Trusted Information Resource
Although a review of each and every new PO that comes in is a possible solution, it does have inherent problems and possible failures.

Most customers don't issue a new PO very often - for example we are running parts now which have a PO dating from 2018. There has been no revision to the part drawing, so there has been no need to revise the quote. In the same time period, customer specific requirements have been revised several times - we are fortunate that we have web portal access which gives us notification of the changes.

Don't really have a solution to suggest, but at least you know you're not alone.

Tagin

Trusted Information Resource
Looking for supporting clauses in IATF 16949 / ISO 9001 who is responsible for tracking revisions of customer specs...
9001:2015 does not assign responsibilities like this to specific roles; it only requires that the organization ensure that it be performed (see 8.2.3 Review of the requirements for products and services and 8.2.4 Changes to requirements for products and services).

It is instead required that leadership ensure that the appropriate role(s) are assigned these responsibilities:
5.3 Organizational roles, responsibilities and authorities
Top management shall ensure that the responsibilities and authorities for relevant roles are assigned, communicated and understood within the organization.

Ashland78

Involved In Discussions
At a new company I am at (big three automotive) I am responsible to verify all 6 of our customers every 6 months. I look on the portal for each customer and ensure I have the latest on file. When there are changes I have to ensure they get updated into our procedures.

My last company customer/warranty did this. At my current company they actually have statement of work requirements that we have to issue to our suppliers too. I don't deal with that but I am assuming someone was speaking to this prior. I hope this helps.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
K Process FMEA responsible For "Make to Design Parts" (Inhouse or Suppliers ?) FMEA and Control Plans 3
S Training for PRRC (person responsible for regulatory compliance) EU Medical Device Regulations 3
S Changing UK Responsible Person UK Medical Device Regulations 0
J Quick question on responsible person's experience requirements UK Medical Device Regulations 3
qualprod Can a consultant be audited instead of QMS responsible? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
chris1price Notified Body responsible for product safety under MDD? EU Medical Device Regulations 4
M Brand owner or manufacturer responsible for Basic UDI-DI and UDI-DI? EU Medical Device Regulations 8
N UK Responsible Person - Termination UK Medical Device Regulations 2
E MDR PRRC "jointly responsible" EU Medical Device Regulations 1
A Brexit When does the UK responsible person need to be in place? UK Medical Device Regulations 10
M Is Validation of Plating Processes required and who is responsible? Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 11
F UDI Registration - Who is responsible for Registration of the Device? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 12
J Management Representative and PRRC (Person Responsible for Regulatory Compliance) ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 12
P MDR PRRC (person responsible for regulatory compliance) and personal liability EU Medical Device Regulations 3
E Company A supplies pharmaceuticals to the MOI - Who is responsible? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
M Informational Update from GOV.UK – Regulating medical devices in the event of a no-deal Brexit – UK Responsible Person Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
dgrainger MHRA - Creation of new UK Responsible Person section with added content. Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
K Does company who manufacture but does not design or carry out clinical trials is responsible for CE marking for single use medical devices? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
K Packaging and Damaged Parts returned from a Service Provider (Anodize) - Who is Responsible? Manufacturing and Related Processes 20
Z Who is responsible for writing the validation of a new process? Manufacturing and Related Processes 7
C Advice on becoming a AS9100 Auditor - Need to audit organizations that are Design Responsible AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 12
C Person Responsible for Regulatory Compliance - The RA guy/girl Employment Act EU Medical Device Regulations 4
M Specifications Aerospace - Who is responsible for providing the correct specification(s) AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 14
I Who is responsible for signing the Declaration of Conformity and what is their liability Imported Legacy Blogs 0
D Responsible for regulatory compliance (Article 15 of MDR 2017/745) Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 4
M Prescription Devices - Who is Responsible / Liable? Other US Medical Device Regulations 9
J Not Design Responsible - Can we exclude all or parts of AS9100 clause 8.3 AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 7
J Functional group / area responsible on a Control Plan IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
U Who is responsible to initiate a Supplier Corrective Action? Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 13
A Selling our own class 1 (EU) devices worldwide - Who is responsible for registration? Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 7
Jen Kirley Shared responsibilities in Responsible Care 14001 ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 2
insect warfare New home for the R2 (Responsible Recycling) standard Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 2
H Different Plants responsible for different parts of the TS16949 Standard IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
Ninja Blind Gopher Auditors Comment - Who is responsible? Registrars and Notified Bodies 23
insect warfare New R2:2013 (Responsible Recycling) Standard has been Released Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 6
N Who is responsible for conducting Root Cause investigation? Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 8
M Corrective Action not being done by the responsible person Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 5
M Design & Development - Only 1 Engineer - Who is responsible for Approval? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
Q Should HR Job Titles match Procedure Responsible names? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
V Integrating ISO 14001 and EPA Responsible Recycling (R2) ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 4
Q Definition Design Responsible - Good Definition in the context of AS 9100 Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 2
Q Assigning Responsibilities - Responsible Department or positions? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
A Design History File Maintenance - Who is responsible for the Design History File 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 5
V Where to get NAID and EPA Responsible Recycling Certification Training? Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 7
B Who is responsible for Translation Compliance EU Medical Device Regulations 6
T Does person responsible for standard have to be the Managment Representative? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
Q Who is responsible, the department head or people under him? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 15
E Who is responsible for RoHS Declaration? RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 3
B Who is responsible for cleaning medical devices before return for repairs? Other US Medical Device Regulations 13
K Which Department or Process is Responsible for Leading the PPAP Process? APQP and PPAP 3