SBS - The Best Value in QMS software

Who's the Management?

P

PauloALRod

Hello everybody

I'm new to the forum, so bare with me.

I've been appointed Quality Assurance Manager at a newly born company. The Board of Directors had already defined the organization chart, which is like this: the CEO reports to the Board of Directors; The QA manager and the Production manager are at the same level in the organization and both report to the CEO; the QC manager reports to me, the QA manager.
I'm going to implement an ISO900x based Quality System and I've been faced with my first problem: who's the management (the one who is supposed to do all that's described under "Management Responsibility")? I think it's the Board of Directors, but I'd like to hear your views on this.
I can see a second problem: I'll prepare the Quality Manual procedures and, surely, also the operating procedures, but who should verify and approve them? I think the CEO should verify and someone form the Board should approve them. I'm right?
Thanks for your help
Paulo

------------------
Paulo L. R.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
B

Bill M

The executive management would be the highest level management directly involved at the location going through registration. If the CEO is on-site, then he would be at the top of the organization chart, because the board of directors he reports to probably do not have day to day involvement in the activities at the location. If you want to show the Board of Directors on your organization chart and have them sign off on the quality manual, that's up to you, but it should be clear who the management responsible for the day-to-day organization is via documented interrelationships, responsibilities and authorities). A newer approach (ISO 9000:2000 influenced) for the top level quality manual would be an outline type of document (10 pages or so) for spelling out the quality philosophy/policy of the business with references to level II procedures. Regarding the procedures, although your approach is common, it will become your burden forevermore. Why not establish the format of your procedures and utilize teams of personnel familiar with the function to help write procedures for themselves and their departments? Just food for thought, do what works best for you!

-Bill

Marc

Hunkered Down for the Duration with a Mask on...
Staff member
Admin
Originally posted by Bill M:
The executive management would be the highest level management directly involved at the location going through registration. If the CEO is on-site, then he would be at the top of the organization chart...."
-Bill
Yup - key word is On-Site

barb butrym

Quite Involved in Discussions
I am clouded with the flu, but thought I read the question to mean who is the management rep that does all the stuff? The ultimate responsibility is as answered above, the guy that does most of the work is the rep (who ever is appointed,,,you?) As to the review/authorize and signing of docs and procs...be careful not to dig your self into a hole....less is better. Try to keep away from group reviews unless absolutely appropriate. It will take for ever to get through the loop, and they end up doing proof reading instead of content....and gets into a pi**ing contest.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
G Organizing internal audit program for an Integrated QHSE Management System Internal Auditing 11
D Integrated Management System Software Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 2
S Change management with FAA Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) Standards and Requirements 0
J Gauge Management - with ambiguous requirements & no support ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
C Quality Management System Question ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 32
C Quality Manager as part of Management - 13485 ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 9
D 4 M management Manufacturing and Related Processes 4
U Supply risk management Manufacturing and Related Processes 4
T Biological Evaluation (10993) & Risk Management ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 9
D Cybersecurity and Risk Management: Loss of confidentiality IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 5
A Purchasing Controls on Change Management of Literature/Labeling ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
normhowe "The Problem with Quality Management: Process orientation, controllability and zero-defect processes as modern myths" Book, Video, Blog and Web Site Reviews and Recommendations 2
C SharePoint Contract Management Software General Information Resources 0
John Broomfield Five ways to botch your supplier management program Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 7
S Risk Management Review ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 4
William55401 Distributed By Product - Best Practices for Configuration Management and Purchasing Controls ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 0
D Reports under change management | ISO 13485:2016 & ISO 9001:2015 ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
Le Chiffre Online training available for ISO/IEC 17021-1: Requirements for bodies providing audit and certification of management systems Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 3
S Risk Management and other Files ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 8
Sidney Vianna Release of ISO 10013:2021, Quality management systems – Guidance for documented information Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 0
G Management Review (integrated system) Management Review Meetings and related Processes 17
M Unique Quality Management System for 2 sites ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
M Management review check-list Management Review Meetings and related Processes 3
silentmonkey Overall Benefit/Risk Analysis - Risk Management VS Clinical Evaluation ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 3
M EMS change management ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 2
Aymaneh Medical Device Cybersecurity Risk Management IEC 27001 - Information Security Management Systems (ISMS) 2
John Broomfield CIOB - Code of Quality Management Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 1
D Big companies suffer from quality management system? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
lanley liao What shoud i do if our company top management has been changed. Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 8
Ajit Basrur Corporate management standards ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
A 21 CFR 820 - Risk Management - Looking for some guidance US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 3
John Predmore Configuration Management as a process instead of a procedure AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 10
optomist1 Informational Training IMDS - Management of Product Chemical Regulatory Compliance RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 2
Pau Calvo Quality Management process is mandatory in ISO9001? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
S Supplier Management ISO 13485: 2016- Which supplier needs to fill in a self assessment form? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
J Audit Checklist for Integrated Management System for ISO 9001:2015, ISO 14001 & OHSAS18001 (IMS) ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
Sravan Manchikanti Software Risk Management & probability of occurrence as per IEC 62304 IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 8
M Change management procedure when 7.3 is not applicable ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
S Management Review (9.3) - Management Review Minutes/Report ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 13
R How would you work without a quality management system? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
J ISO 13485 System 'soft start' - How to best reflect this in initial audits, management review minutes and other records? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
P Conformity assessment based on a quality management system or production quality assurance EU Medical Device Regulations 3
M Management is about people? Human Factors and Ergonomics in Engineering 1
R Electrical contractor Project Quality Management Plan Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 1
S Quality management system (Well head installation & maintenance) Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 5
G Copy of withdrawn ISO 9001:1994 Quality Management Standard ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
P How to develop executable quality management system for rookies? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 9
R Identify Medical Device characterstics as Annex C of ISO 14971 Risk Management ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 5
Q Example Process orientation to the process leadership, management, goals (tasks of the top management) ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
M Requirement to manufacture under a quality management system EU Medical Device Regulations 4