Whose brain child is 5S?

Q

qualitytrec

I cannot imagine that this is not dealt with somewhere in the cove already but I tried several ways to search and could not find 5S. So I looked up Seiso with the thought that it would bring up subject matter which it did. Still did not find the origin of the 5S methodology (admittedly I did not comb through the posts).
Who is the author, creator, compiler or whatever that gets credit in the quality annals for 5S?

:eek:
Mark

Last edited by a moderator:
Elsmar Forum Sponsor

ScottK

Not out of the crisis
Staff member
Super Moderator
Good Question. I've always taken for granted that it was part of the Toyota Production System with no definitive author and never questioned further.

now I'm curious too

R

Richard Pike

I cannot imagine that this is not dealt with somewhere in the cove already but I tried several ways to search and could not find 5S. So I looked up Seiso with the thought that it would bring up subject matter which it did. Still did not find the origin of the 5S methodology (admittedly I did not comb through the posts).
Who is the author, creator, compiler or whatever that gets credit in the quality annals for 5S?

:eek:
Mark
Well that is embarrassing.

We train in 5S, and have done so for over 5 years. We also have developed flash self tutorials.

Nowhere do we address where the hell it comes from (other than Japan). Pleeeese help the originator! and us too.

Marc

Hunkered Down for the Duration with a Mask on...
Staff member
Admin
Here's what I found:

"5S" is the method of workplace organization and visual controls popularized by Hiroyuki Hirano (1990). The five "Ss" refer to five Japanese words—seiri, seiton, seiso, seiketsu, and shitsuke.
Seiri means to separate needed and unneeded materials and to remove the latter.
Seiton means to neatly arrange and identify needed materials for ease of use.
Seiso means to conduct a cleanup campaign.
Seiketsu means to do seiri, seiton, and seiso at frequent intervals and to standardize your 5S procedures.
Shitsuke means to form the habit of always following the first four Ss.

The origin of 5S appears to be rooted in the works of two American pioneers who were scrupulously studied by Japanese managers. These were Frederick W. Taylor's Scientific Management (1911) and Henry Ford (1922). Indeed, Ford's CANDO program (Cleaning up, Arranging, Neatness, Discipline, Ongoing Improvement), which builds on Taylor's work, appears to be the origin for 5S.

Also see: Wikipedia reference-link5S_(methodology)

Actually most of us do it as a matter of course. In my neck of the woods it's called "Spring Cleaning" ;)

Q

qualitytrec

Thanks Marc.
This is helpful. I wish there were more citations in the article but it will help me with where I need to go.

Mark

R

Richard Pike

Here's what I found:

"5S" is the method of workplace organization and visual controls popularized by Hiroyuki Hirano (1990). The five "Ss" refer to five Japanese words—seiri, seiton, seiso, seiketsu, and shitsuke.
Seiri means to separate needed and unneeded materials and to remove the latter.
Seiton means to neatly arrange and identify needed materials for ease of use.
Seiso means to conduct a cleanup campaign.
Seiketsu means to do seiri, seiton, and seiso at frequent intervals and to standardize your 5S procedures.
Shitsuke means to form the habit of always following the first four Ss.

The origin of 5S appears to be rooted in the works of two American pioneers who were scrupulously studied by Japanese managers. These were Frederick W. Taylor's Scientific Management (1911) and Henry Ford (1922). Indeed, Ford's CANDO program (Cleaning up, Arranging, Neatness, Discipline, Ongoing Improvement), which builds on Taylor's work, appears to be the origin for 5S.

Also see: Wikipedia reference-link5S_(methodology)

Actually most of us do it as a matter of course. In my neck of the woods it's called "Spring Cleaning" ;)
So - something else the East stole from the West - and made better! I should have guessed......

I

iopsychguy

[FONT=&quot]Marc, thank you for the information. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
So - something else the East stole from the West - and made better! I should have guessed......
I wouldn’t say they stole it as much as they made use of (and later improved upon) what practices were available. It is like this community; information is presented, utilized by others and modified in an attempt to better the global community, one organization at a time. That's kaizen for you :D. In my opinion, the West isn’t always future focused to say the least and tends to like comfort zones; SUV’s or EV-1 (most were destroyed) anyone? Fyi: I was born in California and still enjoying the CA sunshine.
[/FONT]

P

prabhatchaddha

Re: Who's brain child is 5S?

Stole Wrong word:nope::bonk:

Benchmark The correct one

When toyota aimed at becoming the word leader they came up with 10 fold improvemnet plan.At that time Ford was global leader.
So simply they benchmarked Fords operation but adding their own logics.

Regards

Bev D

Heretical Statistician
Staff member
Super Moderator
Well, the origin of the phrase 5S came long after the activities were established. A lot of Toyota Production System came from Ford. Like most good ideas that stick two things probably happened: other well meaning people improved upon the concept for their own use and then either an author coined a catchy phrase or other less well intentioned people gave it a catchy name and packaged it for 'resale' thru their training and consulting businesses (much like "six sigma" and statistical/quality engineering).

I would have to do a pretty exhaustive literature search, but my guess is that Ohno/TPS never called it 5S, they simply had Japanese words for the activities that were - or could be - alliterative in the english language. (At Honda in the early nineties we had no name for it, but we were sticklers for what is now called 5S. This even went to the reason for our white uniforms: operators were supposed to be able to do their jobs without getting dirty; if their uniforms were dirty it was a sign that process wasn't working properly and the engineers and managers were supposed to fix the problem) Then at some point an American (Richard Schonberger "Japanese Manufacturing Techniques - Nine Lessons in Simplicity or James Womack et al "The Machine that Changed the World" would be where I would start) coined the 5S phrase...at least that is my guess for what it's worth.

May I ask why it is important to know the origin? other than basic curiosity of course...

Q

qualitytrec

I was/am preparing training sessions and knowing my audience is prone to ask such questions was trying to cover bases.
thanks everyone.

Mark

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S Whose responsibility is it to issue Corrective Action Requests? Internal Auditing 8
Y How can FDA supervise devices whose manufacturer name is changed US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 9
H AIAG CQI-11, 12, 15 and 17 - Whose requirements are these? Customer and Company Specific Requirements 12
hogheavenfarm Whose job? What department schedules a PSI (pre shipment inspection)? Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 6
S Whose company achieved their 2008 goals? Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 3
Wes Bucey Whose responsibility for injury? World News 9
CalRich Subcontracted laboratory per 5.10.6 - Whose name goes on the Calibration Certificate General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
A Whose responsibility is Data Analysis - ISO 9001 QMS responsibility? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
T Product / Service Life Cycle Quality - Whose Responsibility to Sort, etc.? Philosophy, Gurus, Innovation and Evolution 1
N Whose fault is it? Our quality department gets blamed for anything! Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 20
A Customer Satisfaction - Whose responsibility? Sales Manager? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 16
Marc Y2K - Whose Fault? After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 9
M Informational USFDA Draft Guidance – Implanted Brain-Computer Interface (BCI) Devices for Patients with Paralysis or Amputation – Non-clinical Testing and Clinical Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
W Body-worn brain stimulator (MOPP isolation requirements) IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 3
J AS9100D Clause Brain Fade - Tool was past due for Calibration AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 11
Ajit Basrur New Study Shows Brain Benefits Of Bilingualism Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 0
Marc Scientists discover world's earliest known brain World News 0
N Brain teaser revealed - "pre-fairing" with thick PE film After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 0
AnaMariaVR2 Public Health, Vaccines & Brain Drugs courses Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 0
A Struggling with Process and Sub-Process Validation - Brain Catheter Design and Development of Products and Processes 2
bobdoering Capability Brain Teaser - Which distribution do you expect to see Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 5
Stijloor Digital Devices Deprive Brain of Needed Downtime After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 1
M Biocompatibility Requirements of Materials in Contact with the Brain Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 6
Ajit Basrur Brain Test :) Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 11
B Another Brain Teaser.... Brain Teasers and Puzzles 2
A Brain Teaser Brain Teasers and Puzzles 9
Q Brain Game - Memorize the number position Funny Stuff - Jokes and Humour 9
D KAIZEN Event "tools to use" Brain Jogger - Your thoughts please Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 12
S Nintendo DS Brain Training game Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 1
G Try reading this - A real brain teaser Brain Teasers and Puzzles 16
U Forum for brain teasers & puzzles Brain Teasers and Puzzles 7
A Another bit of fun - Brain teaser with a maths feel Brain Teasers and Puzzles 8
S Brain Teaser Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 3
G Six Sigma Certification By Brain Scan Funny Stuff - Jokes and Humour 6
D Off Duty Balance - Does anyone else enjoy hiking to clear the brain...? Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 9
W Gage R&R (GR&R) Brain Teaser Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 31
GStough Article "Quality Control and Brain Damage", Quality Progress, March 2007 Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 14
Marc Motorists switch satnav (satellite navigation system) on, brain off After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 3
B The ASQ CQE Test - 24 hours till total brain meltdown Professional Certifications and Degrees 33
Marc Researchers Pinpoint Brain's Sarcasm Sensor World News 3
C Brain teaser: Which door to take? Brain Teasers and Puzzles 26
Marc Brain Scans in Hiring - Brain imaging spreads to nonmedical uses Career and Occupation Discussions 3
J R&D (Research & Development) Department - Off-site brain trust IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
A Measurement Brain Teaser - What constant is the basis for the meter? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 16
L Brain drain ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 44
Sidney Vianna Interesting Discussion How major corporations in the West keep failing to uphold their pledges of abolishing child labor in their cocoa supply chains Sustainability, Green Initiatives and Ecology 3
P Mini Me - My wife and I are expecting our first child Covegratulations 15
Marc Apple Enforces "Supplier Code of Conduct" After Child Labor Discovery After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 13
BradM Child safety/ Self Defense/ Security-tips and such Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 18
N Clinical trials - Generic "parent" procedure vs. study-specific "child" versions Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 2