SBS - The Best Value in QMS software

Why American Companies in the Automobile Arena are Losing Money?

J

jrubio

Why american companies in the Automobile arena are losing Money when they are the best sellers?.

The number shows:

RANK NAME
COUNTRY
INDUSTRY
SALES ($BIL)
PROFITS ($BIL)
ASSETS ($BIL)
MARKET VALUE ($BIL)

526 General Motors United States Consumer durables 192.60 -10.60 475.28 11.49

1061 Delphi United States Consumer durables 27.20 -6.37 17.21 0.18

1346 Visteon United States Consumer durables 16.98 -0.27 6.74 0.60

Except Ford.

See the link (Ranking)

Ranking Forbes Automobile industries. The World's Biggest Public Companies

Last edited by a moderator:
Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Jen Kirley

Quality and Auditing Expert
Staff member
Admin
Lots of reasons combined.

High costs of doing business here include labor, but much else is not discussed.

Ford blames high gas prices for its contraction, but what does that mean? I asked my husband, who's not involved with this group, and he said it's really down to a failure to make a good mix of appealing cars that inspire consumer confidence. Their F series trucks have always been good and Mustang sales are strong, but this market can only comprise a certain portion of American sales. Now that costs finally factor in the average consumer's daily decisionmaking, they are deciding to buy smaller, more economical cars.

It isn't all about the gas costs. Truck tires cost twice or more what car tires do, a regular expense that just adds to the budget. Ford's repair record for its smaller cars isn't good so why stay loyal to the name and Made In USA label--especially now that Japanese carmakers have US plants?

The US carmakers were bitten by this same problem in the 1970s. The fact they didn't connect the dots (oil consumption by develping countries, for one thing) and forsee low gas prices wouldn't last is purely their own fault.

D

DsqrdDGD909

Why american companies in the Automobile arena are losing Money when they are the best sellers?.

The number shows:

RANK NAME
COUNTRY
INDUSTRY
SALES ($BIL)
PROFITS ($BIL)
ASSETS ($BIL)
MARKET VALUE ($BIL)

526 General Motors United States Consumer durables 192.60 -10.60 475.28 11.49

1061 Delphi United States Consumer durables 27.20 -6.37 17.21 0.18

1346 Visteon United States Consumer durables 16.98 -0.27 6.74 0.60

Except Ford.
One of the biggest reason is health care and retirement costs. I believe the number is $2,000/car in additional costs in legacy health care.

R

roland_lu

May I add that the extremely powerful unions is one of the reasons?

I read from news report some time ago that the operators whose only responsibility is to drive the cars down the assembly line to the parking lot can make something like USD 60k plus, just because they are protected by the unions. Until today, I still have hard time believe the number.

Coury Ferguson

Moderator here to help
Staff member
Super Moderator
May I add that the extremely powerful unions is one of the reasons?

I read from news report some time ago that the operators whose only responsibility is to drive the cars down the assembly line to the parking lot can make something like USD 60k plus, just because they are protected by the unions. Until today, I still have hard time believe the number.
It is most likely true. That amount does not surprise me. The Unions were needed during the early years. I believe they have gotten a little out of Control. I have nothing against Unions, in fact I am a ex Teamster. I do know even though employee's may get a large increase in their pay rate, it just increases the Union Dues.

So is the extra money really benefiting the employees?

Last edited:

Jen Kirley

Quality and Auditing Expert
Staff member
Admin
I agree that unions have had an adversarial relationship with management, but in my view it takes two to make this kind of dysfunctional affair.

I'd like to humbly suggest that $60K isn't as big a wad of money as people seem to think. Factor in any manner of things gone wrong and the money gets sucked right down the drain. In a family of four there's a lot that can go wrong.

My heart also hardens to the persistent whine of high labor costs when considering the executive pay and bonuses, including retirement and even when being fired for poor performance. :nopity:

In my estimation the cost of recalls should be shifting the focus a tad bit away from labor burdens. My husband used to work as a dealership mechanic, whereupon I would get some insider information. :mg:

So unions make a good target but IMO there's more than one problem at work here by far.

D

David Hartman

I agree that unions have had an adversarial relationship with management, but in my view it takes two to make this kind of dysfunctional affair.

I'd like to humbly suggest that $60K isn't as big a wad of money as people seem to think. Factor in any manner of things gone wrong and the money gets sucked right down the drain. In a family of four there's a lot that can go wrong.

My heart also hardens to the persistent whine of high labor costs when considering the executive pay and bonuses, including retirement and even when being fired for poor performance. :nopity:

In my estimation the cost of recalls should be shifting the focus a tad bit away from labor burdens. My husband used to work as a dealership mechanic, whereupon I would get some insider information. :mg:

So unions make a good target but IMO there's more than one problem at work here by far.
Jennifer,

I agree that there is more than one problem that needs to be addressed in order to develop an adequate solution (and that is why the U.S. auto industry is still floundering), but if I may point out that the main concern is a lack of profit. If I needed to increase my profit level there are several things that I would look at and one of them would be my payroll.

I have used our local GM plant's 2005 figures for "number of employees" and "payroll" and did the calculations (P/#E) and found that the average annual income for an employee equates to $89,900. Yes I realize that this includes the Plant Manager's (and other salary personnel) salary, but the number of hourly employees far outweighs the number that are on salary.

This is in a community where the next best employer (by wage) pays no more than $33,000 per year to an hourly employee, and the majority of employers would not pay more than $19,000 per year.

Where is the justification for paying a janitor at the GM plant $60k+ and yet paying a janitor at another factory in town only $14.5k?

I must agree that $60k a year is not all that much, but the majority of our community is surviving on much, much less.

D

David Bear - 2010

I can think of many reasons American automobile companies are failing. I don't see why it took so long. I also don't see why they can't rebound.

1. The Quality ratings on many of the "foreign" cars has been judged superior for many years. (ex. Toyota Camry, Honda Civic)

2. Poor aesthetic design. Why would you buy an American car that looks just like the foreign car if the quality of the foreign car is better? In the 60s and 70s, looking at a new Camaro, GTO, Mustang, etc. would make your heart race. Has anyone gotten excited about the looks of a Ford Taurus? Does your car look different from anything else in the parking lot? The new Mustangs and 2007 Camaros - they get you excited! The Americans appear to be learning.

3. Lack of common platforms/engines. I had a Toyota Celica with a 22R engine. Replacement parts were extremely cheap. I only needed 3 socket sizes (metric) to disassemble the entire engine. The Chevy and Buick I owned required multiple guesses to pick a socket size. Sensors were very expensive to replace. They seemed to be different each year. American manufacturers are making huge improvements, but they are way behind the Japanese in this area.

4. Trying to put a car/truck in EVERY market segment. Why did Cadillac make the Cimarron? If I wanted a cheap car, I'm perfectly capable of buying the car from another division of GM. Why does GM sell any poorly designed cars? If they can't design a great $25,000 coupe for Saturn, don't make it. Sell consumers on a $25,000 Buick coupe or something similar. If Chevrolet makes 3 great cars/trucks and 2 pieces of crap, consumers will remember the crap. American auto companies dug theirselves a grave by building mediocre cars just to fill in market segments. They are now paying for the lack of consumer confidence.:nope:

5. UAW - The union wages are ridiculously high. I read the average GM employee makes $65,000/yr + overtime which is often over $100,000/yr. Their retirement health care benefits exceed $2000/employee. I've been working as an engineer for over a decade and don't bring home nearly as much money as my Ford assembly line neighbors. I have a friend with an engineering degree and an MBA who was very happy to give that up to make more money on the assembly line at Ford.:yes: Ford and GM are both making progress in this area. The solution seems to be to shut down much of their North American production and build the cars/trucks elsewhere. The UAW isn't giving them much of a choice.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Z Names or Contacts for American Injection Molding Companies Book, Video, Blog and Web Site Reviews and Recommendations 8
R American Petroleum Institute - Becoming an API Auditor Professional Certifications and Degrees 2
Q Buy American Act - COTS confusion Manufacturing and Related Processes 7
R Standards Data Forms (form 3654) - American Academy of Sleep Medicine (AASM) US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 0
A AWS (American Welding Society) D17.1 & D17.2 Welding - Looking for help AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 6
A API (American Petroleum Institute) Design Package Content Requirements Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 1
S Can these Quality Policy Statements be used in our American and Canadian sites Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 3
B American Petroleum Institute's API Q1 Standard NINTH Edition Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 21
T Are GRE words useful in American daily life? Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 19
Stijloor American airports don't rank very well. Travel - Hotels, Motels, Planes and Trains 13
somashekar BAA (Buy American Act) and the future of Asian Economy Business Continuity & Resiliency Planning (BCRP) 15
MarilynJ6354 American Global Standards Virtual Registrar ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
Marc Dave Brubeck dies at 91 - American jazz pianist World News 3
R What is better ASQ or QA (Quality American ) Certifications? ASQ, ANAB, UKAS, IAF, IRCA, Exemplar Global and Related Organizations 3
B RIP - Sally Ride - first American woman in space dead at 61 Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 3
Marc Surprise! American ISPs to launch massive copyright spying scheme on July 12 After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 5
J MSA Emergency - PV%=100(PV/TOL)in American? And that is correct? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 13
Marc Thoughts and Opinions about the ASQ (American Society for Quality) ASQ, ANAB, UKAS, IAF, IRCA, Exemplar Global and Related Organizations 34
Marc U.S. expatriates pursue American dream in China Immigration and Expatriate Topics 2
M The 50 Greatest American Independent Movies Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 0
K (AQI) American Quality Institute and ASQ (American Society for Quality) - Differences ASQ, ANAB, UKAS, IAF, IRCA, Exemplar Global and Related Organizations 3
A American Global Standards Virtual Cert Program for ISO 9001 Registrars and Notified Bodies 12
Marc "This American Life" reveals original Coca-Cola recipe World News 0
K What is an ARA (American Recovery Act) document? Customer Requirement Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 4
R Finding an ADA (American Dental Association) Standard Testing Laboratory Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 4
Marc An American Safety Institute Message Funny Stuff - Jokes and Humour 0
L API (American Petroleum Institute) Monogram - Applying and Removal Process Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 5
K ABS (American Bureau of Shipping)/BV (Bureau Veritas) certification? Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 10
A Latest APHA (American Public Health Association) 17th Edition methods Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 2
A Tracking Revision Status of External Documents - International and American Standards Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 1
Marc American swine flu cases climb to 40 - 27 April 2009 World News 22
O API (American Petroleum Institute) Q1 - Anyone familiar with this standard? Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 16
Marc Andrew Wyeth, American Painter, Dies At 91 World News 0
Marc Bark beetles kill millions of acres of trees in the American West World News 1
Jim Wynne Yet another reason not to join the ASQ (American Society for Quality) ASQ, ANAB, UKAS, IAF, IRCA, Exemplar Global and Related Organizations 166
Stijloor ASQ's (American Society for Quality) Next Big Thing...... ASQ, ANAB, UKAS, IAF, IRCA, Exemplar Global and Related Organizations 16
H Anyone here with experience with American Institute of Steel Construction (AISC) Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 1
B Large North American Registrar up for sale/merger Registrars and Notified Bodies 39
ScottK 2007 ASQ (American Society for Quality) Salary Survey - Figure 1 on page 31 Career and Occupation Discussions 7
H API (American Petroleum Institute) Spec Q1 Manual - Looking for samples Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 4
Stijloor North American Automotive Quality Core Tool Certification Program Professional Certifications and Degrees 2
Jim Wynne London is ready for some (American) football Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 23
Marc How do you tell which car is more American? World News 0
P Recent article from the BBC website (American Automotive) World News 20
D Hospital Infection Rates - American Journal of Infection Control Hospitals, Clinics & other Health Care Providers 4
G Nissan Supplier Website - They do NOT have a North American supplier web portal Customer and Company Specific Requirements 2
D North American Aviation founding executive Ralph Ruud dies World News 0
W Toyota Reaches 15 Million Mark in North American Production World News 0
Marc Ford - Elimination of 30,000 salaried jobs - Closing of 10 North American factories World News 0
Marc Ford likely to close five North American plants World News 3