Why Do You Travel for a Living?

Why Do You Travel for a Living? Do You Like to Travel?

• Total voters
Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Stijloor

Staff member
Super Moderator
Why Do You Travel for a Living?
I hate traveling by air. The before, during and after is a totally out-of-control process.
Most of my travel (20% of my work time) is within the Eastern United States.

I drive most of the time because:
  • I depart when I want
  • I can stop when I want
  • I can load in my car what I want
  • I can eat good (reasonably priced) food
  • I have all the peanuts/pretzels I want
  • I don't have to show my stuff to anybody
  • I have the window seat all the time
Shall I go on?

Stijloor.

After 16 years of travel, I now drive 25 miles each way..........to work! I really enjoy flying, but recently, not so much. With the advent of commuter jets and some other economies, it just ain't the same as it was in the early 90's. After reading about you (Marc) being stuck in 'Boarstin', I realized that I rarely had that issue and never got aggravated over delays etc. It wouldn't have done my blood pressure any good, and the airline people already had enough of that cr*p.

So, I'll wait to see if my new job, without much travel (except for the drive around the block in a new Jag or LR) causes any withdrawal from getting on a 737 or CRJ 200............

Marc

Hunkered Down for the Duration
Staff member
Admin
I added 2 options. Three of us have voted already and can't revote, but I thought I'd throw the options in anyway...

Marc

Hunkered Down for the Duration
Staff member
Admin
I hate traveling by air. The before, during and after is a totally out-of-control process.
Most of my travel (20% of my work time) is within the Eastern United States.

I drive most of the time...
Quite a lot of my travel is, and has been, by car. In the past, it was mostly by car, actually. I'd drive to Harley in York, for example, rather than fly. I had a client in Miami a few years back, and one in Tampa that I drove to. I'd take a couple days now and again (like traveling the old route 27 and 25 down to Georgia and then on into Florida).

If it's under a 20 hour drive, I prefer to drive. For the most part I really enjoy driving. But - I am and was working for myself so I could set my own schedule. If I take the job I'm considering, however, it will undoubtedly be mostly air travel, and I definitely won't be setting my own schedule.

ScottK

Not out of the crisis
Staff member
Super Moderator
I voted "I don't travel but I would like to".
But I have to qualify that a bit...
I've only gone on two business trips in 2 years only onwe of which was an overnighter.
I used to travel about every other week for a night or two a week.
I enjoyed that. I was not away long enough to stress out the wife and I got some time to myself, which I value and always have.
I also miss meeting new people at customer's or supplier's places.

On the other hand - if I had to travel overnight 2 or more days a week almost every week, I wouldn't take the job or I'd quit if a job went that way.
I have young kids. I'm only willing to be away so much.

Randy

Super Moderator
Hey Scott, you can travel for me there pardner.

I'm in St.Louis right now, cold and snowy, but not bad.

I'm also sitting in my suite (yep seperate living room, bedroom and kitchen on the exec level) looking across at the Arch with the Mississippi flowing in the background. It is pretty!

I'm here 'til the 21st and that's it for the year boys and girls....home until sometime in Jan '08.

Well see ya later, gotta review the 9K Lead material I'm delivering.

Ron Rompen

Trusted Information Resource
My travel seems to come in fits and spurts, and generally I enjoy it. Like others, I prefer to drive when I can.....at least that way I have a modicum of control over what I do, when I go, etc.

Lately there hasn't been much opportunity, although I am promised/threatened a trip to Germany early in the new year, to evaluate a supplier process, and a trip down to South Carolina at the end of January for a DFMEA review meeting. After that, we'll see what happens.

CHRSCLLNGS

Involved In Discussions
It's polls like this that make me appreciate not having to travel too much!
Apart from the odd jaunt over to the Czech Republic, or the upcoming trip to Tuscon, everywhere in the UK is accessable within 5 or 6 hours. None of this driving 20 hours!
I drive to work because I'm far too lazy to walk the 1/2 mile. (I think it takes longer to drive, than it does to walk!!!)

T

tomvehoski

I enjoy some work travel, but it can get old after awhile. This was my busiest year ever with around 80,000 miles actually flown. Most of my trips are to our other development centers in the US and Europe, so I have exhausted most of the interesting things to do there.

The work travel does open up the ability for a bunch of personal travel thanks to frequent flier miles and hotel points. I've probably banked close to 200K frequent flier miles this year. It has helped me take a bunch of personal trips over the last couple years I probably could not have otherwise including:

- 2006 Kentucky Derby (miles)
- Alaska (miles)
- Prague (side trip on a business trip)
- Amsterdam (several overnight layovers/delays)
- Munich, Nuremberg, Frankfurt Germany (business add on)
- Airbus A380 production line - Tolouse France (business)
- Vegas (several times)
- Red Wings vs. Canucks in Vancouver (Feb 08 - credit card points)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
A Managing overseas travel risks to food handlers Food Safety - ISO 22000, HACCP (21 CFR 120) 3
M Does ISO 10993 Apply to Packaging? (e.g. Travel Case) Other Medical Device Related Standards 4
J Travel in Asia - 2016 - 2017 Travel - Hotels, Motels, Planes and Trains 3
L Travel - Route Finder Map HD app After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 2
Hershal Travel! Where have you been of late? What did you see? What do you think? Travel - Hotels, Motels, Planes and Trains 15
arios Business Travel - What do you do "after work" while traveling on business? Travel - Hotels, Motels, Planes and Trains 28
J Travel guidence requested - JFK - Providence, RI Travel - Hotels, Motels, Planes and Trains 6
G ISO 9001 Implementation in a Travel Agency ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 11
Marc Has the 2009 Swine Influenza (Flu) changed your travel plans? Travel - Hotels, Motels, Planes and Trains 22
Stijloor The Golden Age of Travel Travel - Hotels, Motels, Planes and Trains 29
D Managing Hotel Services and Selling Travel Tickets - Excluded ISO 9001 Clauses ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
D Key performance Indicator - Travel @ Tourism ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
D An important travel tip Imported Legacy Blogs 4
Marc Size of Portable Computer Screen for Travel and Why? Travel - Hotels, Motels, Planes and Trains 19
N Personal Business Software to Track Expenses - I.e. Travel and Business Expenses Career and Occupation Discussions 10
Randy I Hate Winter Travel Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 21
P Question about High School Student Travel Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 11
Marc When you Travel, While you Surf the Web, Who's Surfing You? After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 0
Marc First-Quarter 2006 Air Travel Price Index (ATPI) Up 10.3 Percent from Q1 2005 Travel - Hotels, Motels, Planes and Trains 0
F Travel Expenses for Assessors - Registrar states we pay "reasonable travel expenses" Registrars and Notified Bodies 27
D How are service processes monitored? Travel, Tourism & Hotels Services Service Industry Specific Topics 13
D ISO 9001:2000 in Hotels Travel & Tourism ‎Fields ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
Marc Hotels and Flights - Do you use a travel agent or do you book online? Travel - Hotels, Motels, Planes and Trains 11
R Travel to China - What should I know? How should I prepare? Travel - Hotels, Motels, Planes and Trains 39
H Flow chart to show the various paths a job can travel - Seeking Advice Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 7
E Part 11 Compliance, Excel living documents (i.e. document master list, equipment list, approved supplier list) Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 3
Marc The Cost of Living - 1938 in the US Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 11
Ajit Basrur World's oldest living man residing in Chhattisgarh (India) ? Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 0
Stijloor Questions about living in The Netherlands Funny Stuff - Jokes and Humour 22
T Living Documents which change every day - Control or Uncontrolled? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 12
P I Love Living Life. I Am Happy. Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 0
W Tribute to living legend Marc Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 12
P Do Suppliers hire PPAP/APQP contract Auditors - Can I make a living as one? APQP and PPAP 3
L Is an Audit Checklist a Living Document? When can an Audit Check List be changed? Internal Auditing 12
Marc Reporter Discovers People Living In Original Star Wars Set Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 4
Wes Bucey ASQ "Living Strategy" ASQ, ANAB, UKAS, IAF, IRCA, Exemplar Global and Related Organizations 21
A The PFMEA is a living document - When should it be reviewed? FMEA and Control Plans 4