Why does ISO 9001:2000 require 6 Documented Procedures?

AndyN

Moved On
Has anyone got any thoughts on why ISO 9001:2000 has 6 procedures and also, why did those specific topics (document, records and non-conformance controls, internal audits, corrective and preventive actions) were chosen? I have my ideas about this, but I can't find too many people who have considered it!
Anyone?

Andy

AndyN said:
Has anyone got any thoughts on why ISO 9001:2000 has 6 procedures...
You mean the infamous six required written procedures? Clause 4.2.1d? If so, Yes, I have an opinion: Forget the required six (well, maybe not forget - You have to have them of course), and have a peek at clause 4.2.1d and 4.2.1, note 2:

ISO 9001:2000 said:
documents needed by the organization to ensure the effective planning, operation and control of its processes,
The extent of the quality management system documentation can differ from one organization to another due to

a) the size of organization and type of activities,
b) the complexityof processes and their interactions, and
c) the competence of personnel.
In short, the system should reflect you needs. The above allows you to build such a system.

:topic:
AndyN said:
Everyone needs to know where their towel is..
What have we here? A fellow SciFi fan? if so I suggest a look at the old SciFi discussion thread. :read:

/Claes

AndyN

Moved On
You didn't win any prizes for that answer, Claes...........

because I'm not interested in 4.2.1d etc. I just wanted to know why 6 procedures are actually called for, not the other documents used to control processes. And why those 6 specific subjects?
C'mon guys (and girls), just answer the question..............:lol:

Andy

Howard Atkins

Forum Administrator
Leader
Admin
I always thought because they are for the quality function to use and they are the only ones whom understand and/or read procedures:biglaugh:

AndyN said:
I just wanted to know why 6 procedures are actually called for, not the other documents used to control processes. And why those 6 specific subjects?
I can't win them all, I guess. Maybe because those six required documented procedures apply even to mom n' pop shops?

/Claes

A

Aaron Lupo

AndyN said:
because I'm not interested in 4.2.1d etc. I just wanted to know why 6 procedures are actually called for, not the other documents used to control processes. And why those 6 specific subjects?
C'mon guys (and girls), just answer the question..............:lol:

Andy

They do call for more than the 6 you state. If you look at 4.2.1d as Claes suggested you would see that it states "The quality management system shall include, documents needed by the organization to ensure the effective planning, operation and control of its processes.."

AndyN

Moved On
Well, yes, but..............

there are six requirements it specifically calls for procedures...........:frust:

There are plenty of other documents which can be used to control a process which are not procedures............you just have to check a paradigm or two........:lol:

Andy

J

Justin

This thread brought back memories of Eyesore 9000. Not that it answers any of the questions posed here, but is will make you laugh. It's a great read whenever you need a pick me up.

As far as the 6 documented procedures go, I will have to agree with Claes. They are the generic procedures that when used with the other materials created by 4.2.1 will allow any type of company to implement an effective QMS. Not to mention it helps keep us consultants in business. :lol:

T

tyker

I always assumed it was because 6 is my unlucky number.
I;m not paranoid, just very unlucky.

Top Bottom