Why 'FD&C act section number' and 'section number' in the title of the act are different?

Kyunghwan Kim

Registered
Hi, all

I recently am trying to learn and search the medical devices regulation in the United States.

When I browsed the FDA website, I found out the difference between the 'FD&C act section number' and 'the section number in the title.'

For example, the FD&C act section number of the title 'Sec. 360 - Registration of produces of drugs or devices' is 'Sec. 510', not 'Sec. 360'

It confuses me, although I guess that this is because of the amendment of a law.

Is there any clear reason for this difference?

Many thanks for your opinion!

Kyunghwan Kim

Registered
It has been almost a year since I asked this question, and it looks like I found out the answer.

It appears that the mismatch has been caused by the different naming for provisions between the U.S.C and the Food Drug and Cosmetic Law.

For instance, the originally legislated FD&C Act's section 510 was named section 360 when added in the U.S.C part A.

It would be much appreciated if anyone let me know whether I am correct.

Have a great day!

Last edited:

Watchcat

Trusted Information Resource
It would be much appreciated if anyone let me know whether I am correct

When it comes to anything having to do with federal law, I avoid terms like "correct," but I can at least confirm that this the same answer I got. You might almost think they were trying to confuse us, but more likely it's just your usual bureaucratic tangle.

It can get more confusing if you try to google up some links to the "Food Drug & Cosmetic Act," some of those links don't actually take you to the original Act, but to the US Code. So you think you are looking at the Act, but the numbers don't match up.

Sneaky little devils, aren't they?

Watchcat

Trusted Information Resource
USC is like a compilation of all laws.
An Act is a bill that Congress has passed and a president has either signed off on or been unable to derail with a veto. At that point, the bill becomes law, is referred to as an Act, and is integrated (codified) into the USC, which is "the official compilation and codification of the general and permanent federal statutes of the United States." It is in the codification that the numbers are changed.

Top Bottom