Why have IATF rules required the CBs to audit remote supporting functions at first?

morteza

Trusted Information Resource
Hi all,

In clause 5.5, IATF rules (5th ed.) states that:

When planning the initial stage 2 audit, the remote supporting function shall be audited prior to the site.

Additional audits of remote supporting functions may be necessary based upon their demonstrated performance as seen at the site(s) they support.

I think that it would be illogical to audit remote support locations when there is no clue. For Example it is better to audit purchasing function (remote) after you got good clues from incoming quality or production processes.

I have not faced any addition audit of remote supporting functions yet.

So, my question is that:

Why IATF rules require the CBs to audit the remote supporting functions prior to the site? Is not it better to audit remote supporting functions after site audit?

Thanks all

Last edited:
Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Staff member
Admin
Yes, good question. Since I was not involved with the development of the IATF Rules, I can only speculate.

First, we have to remember that the on site audits of the remote functions happens after stage 1, so auditors should have some “clue” of the processes there.

Secondly, I believe that in the process flow, most of the remote functions are involved with upstream processes of the manufacturing operations, so, from an auditing planning perspective, there is a good chance that the output of the remote site audit could be meaningful input into the auditing of the processes in the manufacturing site.

But the question remains if there is good communication between the audit teams of the remote sites and the teams involved with the production plant.

Sebastian

When system process is audited, its flow sequence shall be respected. Usually activities performed by Remote Location e.g. product design take place "before" activities performed by Manufacturing Site, e.g. process design. It is a reason why this audit sequence shall be respected. RL should tell what are MS requirements and what are your outputs, then MS should tell what do you expect from RL and what you get.
Regarding purchasing example, process flow can be like that RL - Selection, evaluation and development of supplier, MS - supplier's product/process approval, supplier's performance monitoring and RL - re-evaluation and development of supplier. Also here RL is "before "MS".

morteza

When system process is audited, its flow sequence shall be respected. Usually activities performed by Remote Location e.g. product design take place "before" activities performed by Manufacturing Site, e.g. process design. It is a reason why this audit sequence shall be respected. RL should tell what are MS requirements and what are your outputs, then MS should tell what do you expect from RL and what you get.
Regarding purchasing example, process flow can be like that RL - Selection, evaluation and development of supplier, MS - supplier's product/process approval, supplier's performance monitoring and RL - re-evaluation and development of supplier. Also here RL is "before "MS".
Hi Sebastian,

I think only checking the process in general, would not be a smart and value added audit. for processes you mentioned in your post, consider the following usual situations and please answer which audit method would be better:

1) product process design

A) the audit team go to remote location (design dept.), ask the organization about it new product development and select randomly (or after study of the provided information by the client) a project and check the design process inputs, outputs, etc
B) On site audit and after auditing the CRM/Warranty management/CAPA processes, the audit team realize that the failure of part X in a product assembly happened for 15 times through previous audit (last year). So, the team decides to select the part X design and its verification and validation as an audit clue.

2) purchasing process
A) the auditor refer to purchasing department (remote location) and ask the auditee about the list of suppliers, select a supplier randomly and check its initial assessment records, monitoring records, Development process, etc.
B) During site audit an in production process the auditor realize that the part X (provided externally) which has the highest quality grade, has the highest in-process scrap due to the its low quality. Also, some incoming batches of this part has rejected by quality dept. during last six months. So, the auditor decides to select the supplier of part X as a clue to check in purchasing process.

Sebastian

Dear morteza, you hit the nail on the head.
RL shows to auditor only perfect sample of support they give to MS.
MS in own wrong understanding of what is good for them, shows other one perfect sample of support they get from RL.
Auditor does not find any reasons to issue NC and MS still bothers with ... they get from RL.

This is a huge weak point of auditing RL, but sequence wont improve it, in my opinion.
Additionally, you have to know, that even report from RL points out activities, that RL is supporting MS with, it does not automatically mean, that these activities were in fact audited. This is only report.
I don't see good solution for that, but maybe putting more pressure on internal auditing of support activities would improve it, but I am not sure.

but maybe putting more pressure on internal auditing of support activities would improve it,
In my experience, most CB auditors have zero clue what internal audits are about. I don't think any "pressure" is going to accomplish anything. The fact is, RL vs MS audits need a lot of planning and review, in particular of data and things like non-conforming product analysis, and there's zero time in the audit for doing that properly.

Judegu

Starting to get Involved
Hi Sebastian. The relationship between RL and MS in term of QMS is quite tricky in my perspective. I am actually working in a manufacturing site in China. And surely we got an abroad corporate HQ in Korea. And the HQ is reponsible for handling several activities, from selection of the supplier to product development.What is more, when some quality accident happens, HQ would be also involved in the handling this kind of accident for being play an big role in handling the customer complaints. In my case, HQ has to be the natural RL of the MS where I works. As a result of this nature, the interfaces between HQ and MS in the processes where they are both heavily involved, are not quite smooth. The above is just my personal idea regarding the LR and MS.
And in the case you mentioned, you have divided the purchasing process to several process steps and assign theses steps to RL and MS seperately.
My question is the RL here is kind of like the corporate HQ in my case? Is there any situation which fit your example?

Hi all,

In clause 5.5, IATF rules (5th ed.) states that:

When planning the initial stage 2 audit, the remote supporting function shall be audited prior to the site.

Additional audits of remote supporting functions may be necessary based upon their demonstrated performance as seen at the site(s) they support.

I think that it would be illogical to audit remote support locations when there is no clue. For Example it is better to audit purchasing function (remote) after you got good clues from incoming quality or production processes.

I have not faced any addition audit of remote supporting functions yet.

So, my question is that:

Why IATF rules require the CBs to audit the remote supporting functions prior to the site? Is not it better to audit remote supporting functions after site audit?

Thanks all
During our Transition Audit last year our RL in US was audited after us (MS), I've submitted a gap analysis but we conducted an internal audit to them prior the transition. Our 3 RLs in China was audited first based on the support they've provided to us.

Sebastian

Dear Judegu, yes in my example related to purchasing process, RL is your HQ. It is a very common example of corporate approach to managing some activities, which can be done independently by MS.
Company I work for has two schemes, one for overseas suppliers where RL is involved and second where we, as MS do everything by ourselves. Problem witch first scheme is that our RL denies supporting us. It is only question of time we will get NC, when CB auditor will detect it. NC would be "awarded" to MS, not RL as it is MS responsibility to manage internal processes and "force" RL to inform CB who audits them about all supports they give to MS.
This is one of criteria you can choose to evaluate corporation maturity level. I know companies who are very strict about it even on MS - MS interaction level, where one MS is also RL to another MS within same corporation.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
O Release of Sanctioned Interpretations (SIs) related to Rules 5th Edition and Sanctioned Interpretations related to IATF 16949:2016 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 0
G IATF Rules for COVID 5th revision - Re-certification audit timing IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
T IATF Rules for sharing production space with another company IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 10
C What are rules to notify customers if IATF cert is put on hold? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
R IATF 16949 certification rules IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
Sidney Vianna IATF 16949 Areas of Impact - Rules 5th Edition Document (February 2017) IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 0
Anerol C IATF or ISO TS 16949 rules about Scope of QMS IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 7
Crimpshrine13 Rules of achieving and maintaining IATF recognition - Determining audit days IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
N IATF Appeals on ISO/TS16949 Rules - 4th Ed. - Removal of Site Extensions IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
J What is soft auditing and soft grading in the IATF Rules 4th Edition? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
B Rules for Achieving IATF Recognition: 4th edition for ISO/TS 16949 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 97
S IATF (International Automotive Task Force) Rules 4th edition changes IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
S ISO/TS 16949 IATF Rules: 2.9 Management of Impartiality IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 8
Manix Should a 3rd Party Auditor Audit against IATF rules and not just the ISO standard? General Auditing Discussions 4
J Rules for Achieving IATF Recognition 3rd Edition FAQ?s - Certification Decision 5.12 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
M Rules for achieving IATF (International Automotive Task Force) recognition IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
P News from IATF page - New SI and FAQ for Rules ASQ, ANAB, UKAS, IAF, IRCA, Exemplar Global and Related Organizations 0
A IATF Rules which define an "Extension Site" under TS16949 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
J Certification Scheme for ISO/TS 16949:2002 - Rules for achieving IATF Recognition IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
P "Opportunities for Improvement" definition in IATF Certification Rules? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
Celtic Warrior New IATF rules for auditor change IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 9
P IATF Information - Rules for Achieving IATF Recognition - TS 16949 3rd Edition ASQ, ANAB, UKAS, IAF, IRCA, Exemplar Global and Related Organizations 23
P New IATF "Rules" and Auditor Recertification IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 9
C Help with Rules for achieving IATF recognition IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 7
Marc IATF SIGNIFICANTLY Changes ISO/TS 16949:2002 'Rules' ASQ, ANAB, UKAS, IAF, IRCA, Exemplar Global and Related Organizations 5
A Rules for Achieving IATF Recognition - A Second Edition for ISO/TS 16949:2002 ASQ, ANAB, UKAS, IAF, IRCA, Exemplar Global and Related Organizations 10
S IATF Certification Rules - "Rules for Achieving IATF Recognition" 2nd edition soon? ASQ, ANAB, UKAS, IAF, IRCA, Exemplar Global and Related Organizations 14
I Work Instruction Update- IATF Impact IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
P IATF 16949:2016 Letter of conformity IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
D IATF PROCESSES IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
D IATF 16949 SI 10, External non-accredited lab IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
A Control plan for IATF - example? FMEA and Control Plans 1
J IATF CB Auditor questions Internal Auditor Competence IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 19
A IATF MSA study Type 1 General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 5
S IATF 16949 - Summary at a glance Clause wise - changes from ISO TS IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
Azaarus Help with CAPA for an IATF finding regarding inspection documentation IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 10
W Do Reference materials for IATF need to be 17025? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 15
D Special IATF audit of sub-supplier IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 18
R IATF and ASPICE level 2 Design and Development of Products and Processes 9
T IATF 16949 Recording inspection results IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
S IATF 16949 Supplier selection criteria 8.4.1.2 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
G Remote support - IATF allowed words defined? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 11
D "certified" in ISO 19011, as well as IATF required? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 6
D IATF 16949 M&TE Laboratory scope IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
M IATF 16949 SI # 10: Integrated self-calibration of measurement equipment- Needs for explanation IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
B IATF Certification Body Recommendations Registrars and Notified Bodies 3
K IATF audit day requirements table 5.2 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 6
Q ISO 9001/IATF 16949 Audit Finding Question - Document Retention IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 11
M IATF - Internal Audit 3 year span Internal Auditing 4
J IATF 16949 Calibration/Verification records question ISO 26262 - Road vehicles – Functional safety 6