SBS - The best value in QMS software

Why is RCA (Root Cause Analysis) essential?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
I would suspect that they understand it perfectly well from your explanations. However, I bet their value systems are different from yours, and it is value systems that shape decisions. They probably also look at vision & mission statements as PR rather than something to live by.
I think you're exactly right. Now the question is how to change their value systems. They are hard to measure. And the only thing I can manage is what I can measure. So I'm starting to measure behaviors. I asked the workers for their ideas for improving the process. Then I asked them to track their behaviors that impact the problem areas. So far, they seem to like the involvement. I'll let you know how it works out.

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Staff member
Admin
"When you go to your doctor for a body ache, would you prefer they find the root cause, or just treat the symptoms?"
I agree that is the best analogy. Without a proper diagnosis (RCA), how can a competent doctor prescribe the proper medication? If an organization is adverse to proper problem resolution techniques, they are just demonstrating how dysfunctional they are. Unless, of course, one abuses the need for corrective actions. In many instances, you should NOT attempt corrective action and stop at correction. Performing a full fledge 8-D process for a totally isolated and inconsequential missed delivery date problem is just excessive and unjustified.

Mike S.

Happy to be Alive
Trusted Information Resource
Unless, of course, one abuses the need for corrective actions. In many instances, you should NOT attempt corrective action and stop at correction. Performing a full fledge 8-D process for a totally isolated and inconsequential missed delivery date problem is just excessive and unjustified.
Quoted for emphasis.

Any good thing can be abused and made into a negative. Building on the doctor analogy, not every sniffle or minor cut needs a trip to the doctor.

Ninja

Looking for Reality
Staff member
Super Moderator
Now the question is how to change their value systems.
Folks have been trying to change other peoples value systems for quite a long time...with negligible result.
At some point (we all decide that point for ourselves), actions are mandated or they don't happen...explain why as much as is reasonable, and in as many ways as is reasonable...but at some point (assuming conflict remains), it just has to be forced.

Bev D

Heretical Statistician
Staff member
Super Moderator
Hmmm. In my experience both are needed. They are synergistic when done correctly. Of course the third aspect is that the thing (in this case RCA) must also work - and there a lot of RCA methods that are ineffective.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
A Root Cause Analysis - Whether one can do RCA for Positive Findings Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 19
Q Can any one help me on RCA (Root Cause Analysis) Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 9
C Training for RCA - Root Cause Failure Analysis Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 9
drgnrider Corrective Action for not meeting target-RCA obvious ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
S RCA examples for Finance Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 3
GStough Is "Did Not Follow Procedures" Sufficient for RCA? Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 30
A Who should be the CAR owner & Who is involved with RCA, CAPA plan & CAPA evaluation? Nonconformance and Corrective Action 3
Q RCA (Request for Corrective Action) on an Information Transaction Process Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 2
Ajit Basrur RCA Training by 8D approach - Ideas appreciated :) Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 18
V Integrating the FMEA process with problem investigation/RCA process and PFMEA FMEA and Control Plans 4
C RCA - Internal Audit Request for Corrective Action ambiguity Internal Auditing 4
J How I Was Pushed Into RCA Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 4
S Standardization of Problem Solving - 6 Sigma, Red-X, 8D, VA/VE, PDCA, RCA, C&E Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 15
J RCA (Request for Corrective Action) Instructions or Guidelines Nonconformance and Corrective Action 8
W Misinterpretation of requirement acceptable as root cause? Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 19
T Root Cause Failure Analysis - Not following Customer packaging Specification Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 9
D Root Cause for Missed Audits Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 1
qualprod Always one root cause? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 35
I Root Cause Analysis as Training ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
F Struggling with a root cause analysis - Customer Returns - Escape issue Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 15
G Working on a Root Cause Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 11
I Root Cause Analysis when someone simply stops performing a task? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 16
C Neglect or legitimate deferral? Is excessive workload or lack of resources in a department or a team a valid root cause for a non-conformance? Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 12
E CAR (Corrective Action Report) with questionable Root Cause ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 14
S Root cause analysis - The system of developing a work instruction is not effective Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 1
I What if your root cause analysis is -- they just didn't do it?" Nonconformance and Corrective Action 3
T Root causes - operator's actions Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 17
Ed Panek Root Cause CAPAs from internal audit ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 16
A Interesting Discussion Human Factors as Root Cause AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 13
D Root Cause on Non-Conformity Against Quality Manual Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 9
A CAR from 3rd party AS9100D auditor - Root cause dilemma AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 45
P Examples of Nonconformance, Corrective Action Requests, and Root Cause Analysis Nonconformance and Corrective Action 2
N The known set of all root causes Nonconformance and Corrective Action 11
Q Loss of Personnel - Root Cause Analysis ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
P Root Cause for a Process Validation Batch Failure 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
H How to define Root Cause when some points are out of control chart Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 6
K What is supposed to happen when a CA cannot be closed out or the root cause... General Auditing Discussions 1
T Human Error vs Technique Root Cause (Categories) Human Factors and Ergonomics in Engineering 9
Q Several Nonconformances with same Root Cause with just one CA ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 15
D Customer Audit - Root Cause Help - ISO 9001:2008 Cl. 7.5.3 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
Q Risk Tools in ISO 31010 - Root Cause Analysis vs. Cause-and-effect Analysis ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
E Root Cause Analysis - Is Insufficient Understanding an acceptable Root Cause? General Auditing Discussions 9
N Root Cause Challenge: The guy at the top ... Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 4
V Root Cause help needed - Sheet metal breaking at press Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 9
W Root Cause Analysis Requirements per TS 16949:2009 Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 8
S Preparing a Root Cause Report - Possible Root Causes Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 11
Marc Stem Cell stimulation to end tooth Root Canals World News 0
J Required on-site training on writing deviations & root-cause analysis Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 3
P Is it a rule to fill in all the 5 why in order to get the actual root cause? Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 5
D Root Cause Analysis done on the wrong observation Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 9