Why would an Auditor ask for Backflow Testing Report?

Golfman25

Trusted Information Resource
So recent 3rd party audit. Plain jane ISO 9001:2015. For the first time in 20+ year we where asked to see copies of our annual city water system backflow testing report. What does that have to do with ISO 9001?????

Randy

Super Moderator
So recent 3rd party audit. Plain jane ISO 9001:2015. For the first time in 20+ year we where asked to see copies of our annual city water system backflow testing report. What does that have to do with ISO 9001?????
Not a stinking thing unless this "guru" is stretching for something. He'd better be able to show a shall for some kind of realationship, especially in one of your quality documents.

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Leader
Admin
What does that have to do with ISO 9001?????
Obviously the question should have been posed to the auditor him/herself. How can anyone here know? As a wild guess, I could speculate the auditor in question is an environmental system auditor (ISO 14001) who has been "cross trained" as a QMS auditor and is drifting into his/her comfort zone.....

Kronos147

What does that have to do with ISO 9001?????
What I would do is ask the assessor to clarify what requirement they are discussing.

If there is no 'shall', I would simply thank them for their opportunity for improvement, make a note, and say we will consider if it is value added at our next management meeting.

AllTheThings

Involved In Discussions
If facilities maintenance is referenced in your ISO 9001 QMS, and particularly if that references anything like 'compliance with <government> environmental requirements', I could see it being an easy way to verify you are complying with the requirement you wrote in your QMS...

But yeah, knowing what your quality system says and what clause the auditor was chasing would help.

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Leader
Admin
If facilities maintenance is referenced in your ISO 9001 QMS, and particularly if that references anything like 'compliance with <government> environmental requirements', I could see it being an easy way to verify you are complying with the requirement you wrote in your QMS...

But yeah, knowing what your quality system says and what clause the auditor was chasing would help.
I do not agree with that. More and more organizations are moving towards integrated management systems where business operating processes are defined (and documented) taking into account many disciplines (quality, environment, occupational health, information security, etc...). It is incumbent on the auditor to ascertain the scope of the audit vis a vis what an all-encompassing procedure might require and limit the assessment to the applicable requirements.

Golfman25

I wasn't the auditee at the time. She asked for it and my guy produced it. She put in her report under "maintenance and infrastructure." Just more useless audit BS IMO.

Randy

Super Moderator
Metal stamping.
Yeah, it was BS. I've done metal stamping all my career, even when it's going into electrical/medical stuff and backflow never came up. Outside water will always be treated prior to use, not directly from the tap.

Top Bottom