Definition Wiki vs. A Specific Forum for Acronyms, Definitions, Etc.

A Specific Forum vs. Wiki

• Total voters

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin
There's only one "n" in "acronym." And as I've pointed out before, most of what are referred to as acronyms are abbreviations or initializations, not acronyms. "Scuba" and "radar" are acronyms. "SPC" and "PDCA" aren't. All acronyms are abbreviations, but not all abbreviations are acronyms.

Scott Catron

True Artisan
Super Moderator
couple points.

This should be an issue of indexing the wiki contents, since a major complaint about the wiki format was actually finding stuff. I tried it once ***DEAD LINK REMOVED*** using a template I found on Wikipedia but it didn't seem to work well.

One problem is that the index you set up is on the talk page of the main article. If you move it to the main article, it will be the first thing people see when they access the wiki. I'll try to move it if I can.

To see stuff Marc and I tried earlier this year, look at the ***DEAD LINK REMOVED***.

Last edited by a moderator:

Scott Catron

True Artisan
Super Moderator
Scott_Catron said:
One problem is that the index you set up is on the talk page of the main article. If you move it to the main article, it will be the first thing people see when they access the wiki. I'll try to move it if I can.

Looks like only Marc can edit the main page.

Marc, are you ok with opening up the main page to editing?

The more I think about it, having an index on the main page would make it very easy for anyone - whether they've used a wiki before or not - to access the content.

I

isoreader - 2006

Yes, some link from the Main page would be good. At this stage, I only had limited ways to put that content. I was going to put it in the help section, but its up to you where to put it.

Currently its set up so that you can navigate using the "index" if you shorten your web browser (say quarter or half screen height) you can test the "index" functionality :)

I

isoreader - 2006

Corrective Action taken.

Please continue with your inputs eg. Errors, look, feel, etc... make corrections if you spot it or add more information yourself.

Marc

Fully vaccinated are you?
Leader
I'll look closer at the software this week. I even had to dig out my admin password. Anyway, so far so good. Interesting.

I

isoreader - 2006

Marc,

You might want to consider the way I've done it so far. The Red hyperlink on each term means anyone can simply click it whereby a new "page" is created and they can start writting. This may encourage ppl to write, but it may have some drawbacks (ppl creating useless empty pages or if something has been created and someone changes the reference that page is linked to eg the term on the glossary). Another way is not to have the "automatic" creation of pages by clicking the hyperlinks in red, instead anyone wants to contribute has to create the page manually.

When its blue it means someone has already created and written a page linked to it. Thats simple enough, well and good.

Then what about the look of it? bold might be easier on the eye, or the "definitions" style like the first 3 items which is bold as well as having the text on a different line and indented.

Everyone please fell free to give input.

Marc

Fully vaccinated are you?
Leader
I'll take a look. If anything, I think the majority of people like a Wiki to get information - I doubt many will want to activily participate and there is the learning curve.

But we shall see.

As to formatting - I'll bow to your eye for style.

Top Bottom