Will Ford accept AS9100 certification in place of ISO9001

chinadaddy02

Involved In Discussions
Last year my company received AS9100 Rev C certification and have recently had our 1st surveillance audit. Because Ford is our main customer and since my company is a tooling company, we are only required to carry ISO9001.

My question is - will Ford accept AS9100 certification in place of ISO9001? I cannot find any documentation saying that is acceptable and the only thing close I could find is a document that says tooling and equipment companies only need to carry ISO9001. It would be extra time and cost to carry two certifications.

Thanks for any help in this instance.

D

dkusleika

Re: AS9100 instead of ISO9001 for Ford requirement

AS9100 is a superset of ISO9001, so if you're compliant with AS9100 you are de facto compliant with ISO9001. When we got certified to AS9100C, our registrar issued two certs: one for ISO9001 and one for AS9100. I thought that's just the way it worked and I don't know any reason why it wouldn't work that way for everyone. Perhaps you got an ISO cert and just don't know it? You may ask your registrar about it.

G

gbcqc

Some companies receive one cert. I have had certs that state AS9100 Rev. X and ISO 9001:20XX and certs that just had AS9100 Rev. X.

If you want a 2nd cert for just ISO 9001:2008, ask your CB for it. I am sure you can get it for a minimum fee.

chinadaddy02

Involved In Discussions
Will automaker accept AS9100 certification in place of ISO9001

Last year my company received AS9100 Rev C certification and have recently had our 1st surveillance audit. Because one of the Big 3 is our main customer and since my company is a tooling company, we are only required to carry ISO9001.

My question is - will they accept AS9100 certification in place of ISO9001? I cannot find any documentation saying that is acceptable and the only thing close I could find is a document that says tooling and equipment companies only need to carry ISO9001. It would be extra time and cost to carry two certifications.

S

silentrunning

Re: Will automaker accept AS9100 cert in place of ISO9001

This appears to be a near duplicate of your earlier post.

chinadaddy02

Involved In Discussions
Re: Will automaker accept AS9100 cert in place of ISO9001

It is, I was not sure if it needed to go the ISO9000 or the AS9100 area

Mikishots

Trusted Information Resource
Last year my company received AS9100 Rev C certification and have recently had our 1st surveillance audit. Because Ford is our main customer and since my company is a tooling company, we are only required to carry ISO9001.

My question is - will Ford accept AS9100 certification in place of ISO9001? I cannot find any documentation saying that is acceptable and the only thing close I could find is a document that says tooling and equipment companies only need to carry ISO9001. It would be extra time and cost to carry two certifications.

If they are aware of what AS9100C entails, they would be happy to accept it; it has requirements above and beyond what's required by ISO 9001:2008.

I say happy, because AS9100C has items that, in my opinion, would be excellent items to add to the next version of ISO 9001, such as:
- making sure that personnel are aware of and have access to QMS docs and changes.
- making sure that OTD is measured and actioned.
- configuration management (if applicable)
- risk management (if applicable)
- making sure D&D considers producability, inspectability, testability and maintainability in their designs.

et al.

We're an aircraft manufacturer, and our certificate cites both standards (AS/EN/JISQ9100:2009 Rev C and ISO 9001:2008).

somashekar

Leader
Admin

AS9100 is a superset of ISO9001, so if you're compliant with AS9100 you are de facto compliant with ISO9001. When we got certified to AS9100C, our registrar issued two certs: one for ISO9001 and one for AS9100. I thought that's just the way it worked and I don't know any reason why it wouldn't work that way for everyone. Perhaps you got an ISO cert and just don't know it? You may ask your registrar about it.
Yes.
Perhaps chinadaddy02 has not mentioned the ISO9001 also in the client information details they provided to the CB, and the CB customer service also made no efforts to update the customer about the ISO9001 certification along with AS9100.
Please discuss with CB.

Note: When we got our ISO13485, we had also requested for ISO9001 and our QMS, quality manual and scope addressed both standards. We did this because certain Indian tenders ask for ISO9001 certificate ONLY along with tender documents.

Big Jim

Admin

They certainly should, as other have pointed out ISO 9001 is fully contained in AS9100.

For the best answer, ask Ford.

G

GoKats78

Make sure Ford is not requiring TS16949 certification as well...

Top Bottom