Willful case of circumvention of our Control of Nonconforming Product procedure

Russ

Quite Involved in Discussions
I have found out about a willful case of circumvention of our Control of Nonconforming Product procedure and the standard itself. Here's the scenario. A problem was found with a dimension out of tolerance, yet those in charge of MRB let this baby go (functionality mindset) even without keeping them seperate throughout the rest of the production process. So they got mixed up with good parts and now we have several thousand parts returned to check through. They also have left no paper trail for these nonconforming parts, which is directly contrary to our or I would think anyone's procedures, and definitely the ISO standard. After finding out all I can and these facts hold true, can anyone think of a reason why I shouldn't send a Nonconformance to the members of the MRB who failed to follow proper procedure?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
Crystal clear..

In one word: No...

Judging from the facts given, a nonconformance should be the least of the MRB's worries. It's not only contrary to the standard. It's also contrary to both common sense and buisness sense.

/Claes

Mike S.

Happy to be Alive
Trusted Information Resource
I think Claes is right-on. The ONLY possible reason I could think of not to do it is if I knew the MRB guys were a hopeless bunch of renegades and they would get by with it and my boss was in there and would fire me for doing it. Then I would KNOW, if I didn't before, I had to get out of that company. I'd drop the NC and only stay there 'till I could get another job, then scram, ASAP!

J
I quite agree that the MRB needs a non-conformance written.

How you handle this is going to be very important.

How long has the board been operating?
What is the track record of the board in the past?
How committed are they?

I will assume that they are not a bunch of idiots and already know that they screwed up royally. BUT do they know how badly they screwed up?

Do they know how much this has cost the company?

I suggest doing a cost analysis of the rejection and sorting as compared to other options available to MRB at the time. This way when looking at future decisions they will have greater understanding of the potential costs of their decisions.

This of course is part and parcel of your corrective action cycle to close the NC you've written.

JMHO

James

E

energy

Be careful

If you proceed to write up the MRB Board, tread carefully. Usually, they are upper managers who will not appreciate seeing that they willfully concealed defective product in writing. Also, results of Audits are available to External Auditors. Not a good thing, exposing cases of misconduct to others. :( Maybe I'm just a scaredy cat because I've seen too many times where the blame falls on those who least deserve it. Even though they can prove they aren't responsible. The key here is "prove to who?" That stuff truly rolls downhill. We all know the old saying about winning the battle and losing the war. Take a step back, a deep breath and give it some more thought. JMHO :ko: :smokin:

gpainter

Issue the CAR. And let them know that for many registrars that intentionally shipping N/C product without a Deviation could result in suspension of the QMS registration not to mention possible lawsuit. Let us know what happens

Russ

Well thanks for all the response. I jumped in and wrote it up, so I'm waiting for the fallout now. I'm afraid I couldn't feel good about the job I'm doing if I let that one pass. Maybe I just take my job too seriously, but that's what I'm paid to do. No the MRB guys aren't a bunch of idiots, just too "functional" oriented sometimes. They realize they really blew it on this one, and they are taking a lot of heat from the VP. Then from me:bonk:

I hate to pour salt on the wound, but I figured I just might get some changes made if I took advantage of this opportunity to show them the error of their ways. I know it happens more than I see so their not fooling me there.

E

energy

Are they certified?

gpainter said:

Issue the CAR. And let them know that for many registrars that intentionally shipping N/C product without a Deviation could result in suspension of the QMS registration not to mention possible lawsuit. Let us know what happens
If they are registered, then I agree with it. If not, you don't have the "They could pull your certification" to use. All you have is your job to lose. I'm not saying to let it go. If the CEO is not on the MRB, he can do something about it. Pride comith before the fall. What you would do is not always the best advice to give. Your options may be many, as opposed to someone who has none.

:ko: :smokin:

Use the opportunity

Russ said:

I hate to pour salt on the wound, but I figured I just might get some changes made if I took advantage of this opportunity to show them the error of their ways. I know it happens more than I see so their not fooling me there.
So now you have their attention, and intend to use the opportunity to get some changes made. I'd say you're right on track. If the dust settles in the right places this mishap may turn out to your great advantage.

Good luck.

/Claes

Mike S.

Happy to be Alive
Trusted Information Resource
We're having computer system problems, so I hope this goes thru okay, I gotta make it quick. Energy's post got me thinking that I engaged my typing hand before fully engaging my brain and explaining things out. What I would do would depend somewhat on the status of my QMS (registered or not, new or established registration, etc.) and the culture of the place. One way or the other, unless raising a stink would cost me my job before I was ready (see earlier post), I would want to see the MRB guys held accountable, otherwise things can get really out of hand. I've been there! Maybe, rather than documenting it formally so any customer or registration auditor could easily find it, possibly costing a customer or registration, depending on the culture, dragging the MRB before the head honcho for a little talk session would accomplish the goal with out costing the company bigger $ than already lost. You don't want to cut off your nose to spite your face. If the top dog is supportive, a "stern lecture" from him/her in private may be the best way to go. Again, it depends.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
M ISO 9001:2015 case study sample ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
M Case study help as per ISO 9001: 2015 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 17
M Case study solution help required as per ISO 9001 : 2015 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
M Case study resources ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
D Safety Assurance Case Report Format ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 4
DuncanGibbons Looking for example aerospace part CAD files to be used for a case study Career and Occupation Discussions 2
M Informational USFDA – Digital Health Update: The FDA Announces an Opportunity for Test Case Volunteers for the Test Plan for the Software Precertification Program Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M Informational EU – Medicinal products and medical devices: Coordinated approach in case of a withdrawal of the United Kingdom from the Union without a deal Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
A Audit purpose - case study - What is the role of SQE in such case? General Auditing Discussions 3
M Case study - If the restaurant (ISO 9001:2015 certified) was run by 2 persons covering cooking and purchasing processes (Mother and Father) supported ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
K Student wanting Case Study about Internal Audit Report Internal Auditing 1
I Cleanroom Actions in case of Actions Limit Alarm Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 3
L Benefits that the QA's gain with a Test Case Template Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 1
M Does ISO 10993 Apply to Packaging? (e.g. Travel Case) Other Medical Device Related Standards 4
Z Is PPAP Re-qualification needed in case of not quoted dimension change? APQP and PPAP 4
J MDIC (Medical Device Innovation Consortium) and the "Case for Quality"? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 6
J If/how to apply LVD (Low Voltage Directive) in this case CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 6
I Reaction plan in case of power outage Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 7
R Medical Device Safety Assurance Case Reports Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 6
M Specific Capability case - Target Value is same as the Lower Limit Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 9
L Business case for an electronic EMS (Electronic Manufacturing Services) ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 2
C Case Hardening and Case Depth Measurement Manufacturing and Related Processes 4
Ajit Basrur India marks three years since last polio case Hospitals, Clinics & other Health Care Providers 2
L Need Help with Case Study Questions Manufacturing and Related Processes 16
J Electronic Components inside a Wooden Case Manufacturing and Related Processes 4
S Certificate Suspension Necessary in case of No Production? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
A Type of Materials to comply with IEC 60601 (Dental Laser Case) IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 2
L Printing Machine Make Ready Rapid Changeover Case Study Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 2
E Short Case Studies - Major/Minor Nonconformance, Observation or OK? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
S Example of a DFSS (Design for Six Sigma) Project or a Case Study Six Sigma 4
H Case Studies of Six Sigma in Service Processes Six Sigma 1
somashekar What documented procedure in this case ... ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
M Who is the Specification Developer in this case? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 10
G Six Sigma Case Studies - Does anyone have a good source for LSS case studies? Six Sigma 8
B The Case for a 25-Hour Work Week Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 4
S Production Equipment Forms - Case study with ISO 9001:2008 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 31
R LKV Value: Can not verify Reliasoft Case Study Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 2
M Business Case for ISMS (Information Security Management System) IEC 27001 - Information Security Management Systems (ISMS) 1
A AS9102 FAI Case Outline Difference AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
P 7.1, 7.3 and APQP Requirements Applicability in Transfer Case IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
I Six Sigma Assignment Problem - Case Study: Productivity Improvement Six Sigma 2
W Applying ISO 9001 Clause 7.3 in Special Case - Oil Refinery ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 12
V Manual of Procedure for Case of Emergencies Business Continuity & Resiliency Planning (BCRP) 4
S Business Case for Process Mapping Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 4
B KPI = 0 - Accidents (Actual accident is 150 case/year) ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 21
M Internal Warehouse Handling - A Reverse Logistic Case! Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 6
P Single Use Devices - Surgeon must have backup in stock, just in case? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 17
Y Advice on this real case on AQL (Acceptable Quality Level)? AQL - Acceptable Quality Level 3
Sidney Vianna New Collection of International Case Studies proves Economic Benefits of Standards Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 1
P Service Requests with multiple issues using CRM (Case Management) Customer Complaints 2