Windows 10 100 % disk use after update

Ninja

Looking for Reality
Trusted Information Resource
Anyone else out there run into this? The last update slowed me to a snail's pace.
Disk use in Task Manager is pegged at 100%.

Went through all of the youtube solutions I was willing to try (risk/benefit) and it sped up a little...but still pegged at 100% disk use.

Who has faced this at work-from-home? What worked for you?
Figure I'd get some more DIY ideas before I pay for the Geek Squad...

Thanks in Advance...

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

yodon

Staff member
Super Moderator
Well that doesn't sound good at all. Do you have antivirus / keep your definitions up-to-date? Infection would be by my first concern. The task manager shows who's hitting the disk (and you can sort by clicking the column head) - what processes are hitting it hardest?

Marc

Hunkered Down for the Duration
Staff member
Admin
CAUTION: I'm not a PC person, but in general if I see something like that I have a program that monitors disk I/O for each drive (there are 9 drives connected to my iMac), CPU I/O and % use for each core, Memory use and a number of other parameters such as ethernet I/O. When ever I get what I think may be a stall, which is very rare these days, I check for things like disk I/O and CPU core activity to see if it is stalled and just has the processor pegged. Last resort, of course, is a hard reboot and start over again.

Just a few thoughts in case you have software to see what is happening in real time.

Sebastian

If you face this problem since latest OS update, simply uninstall this update.
Otherwise, be patient and wait for next update, maybe it would solve your problem.
Meanwhile, do not forget to report this phenomenon to MS.

Ninja

Looking for Reality
Thanks for the replies,

Antivirus and Firewalls all up to date. Ran through disk check fine, and full scan for Malware.
Widows has a utility program called "Task Manager" which does the same...that's how I know it's 100% disk usage slowing things down.

Have runn all updates and rebooted about a dozen times through the updates, and a few times after...
Manually shut down the built in background Windows spyware (SysMain) and manually blocked Skype (a disc hog in windows).
Uninstalled/reinstalled Chrome...
Updated Chrome and rebooted again...Chrome seems to be the biggest hog, but I'm at 100% even with Chrome uninstalled.

Been fine for 6yrs...now a couple weeks ago everything bogged down. No new hardware or software.
Updated stuff (if you consider that new) is updated UPS software, Updated Chrome as above, and the latest updates from Microsoft...though most were after things bogged.

Any other thoughts?

Ninja

Looking for Reality
Thanks Sebastian,
The last update was massive...but again, things bogged down before it.
Perhaps it just seemed massive since my computer is so slow now...it took almost two days through all the restarts and slow processing.

hogheavenfarm

Quite Involved in Discussions
Precisely why I dumped windows and went to linux. I feel your pain. Windows went downhill since XP and Vista. Unfortunately at work I am stuck with windows 8, but I run linux Ubuntu as a virtual machine here anyway (when no one is looking). An SSD drive will help some, speeding things up a bit.

Jim Wynne

Staff member
Admin
Thanks Sebastian,
The last update was massive...but again, things bogged down before it.
Perhaps it just seemed massive since my computer is so slow now...it took almost two days through all the restarts and slow processing.
What does Task Manager say is using the disk excessively?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
G Windows 10 OS build Software Validation US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 1
Claes Gefvenberg Windows 8.1 - Pros & cons, hints & tips. After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 5
Jim Wynne Windows 8.1: No Security Updates Without Update 1 After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 4
Marc Windows XP EOL scamware After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 1
insect warfare IRS pays Microsoft for Windows XP support After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 2
insect warfare Windows XP support ends today (April 8, 2014) After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 2
T Will the End of Windows XP Support affect anything in AS9100? AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 5
K COTS Validation: Should we validate Windows after each Update? IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 3
G When to use a flyscreen on windows? Food Safety - ISO 22000, HACCP (21 CFR 120) 8
Jim Wynne Have you tried Microsoft Windows 8? After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 25
Marc The "I am calling you from Windows" telephone scam After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 13
Z Tutor For Windows--CMM Software--Is anyone familiar with it? Calibration and Metrology Software and Hardware 2
D Windows CE Operating System - Implantable Blood Pump and a Software Accessory Device IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 8
Stijloor Importing Address Books (Thunderbird and Outlook Express) into Windows Live Mail After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 3
Marc 66% of All Windows Users Still Use Windows XP After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 19
Stijloor Briefcase on Windows 7... After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 29
S Google phasing out use of Windows over security concerns After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 0
Claes Gefvenberg Microsoft Windows users: Which windows version are you using? March - April 2010 After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 37
S Software changes (windows 2007 compatible) notification to FDA? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 5
Jim Wynne February 2010 Windows Update Causes BSOD for Alureon Rooted XP Users After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 8
J Google Offers Peek at Operating System, a Potential Challenge to Windows After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 2
S Does Windows Service Pack (SP-3) upgrade need supplementary 510(k) submission?? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 6
Marc FSF Attacks Windows 7's "Sins" In New Campaign After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 1
F Is self-serve password reset for Windows considered for validation under CFR Part 11 Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 2
A If you use Magic Windows Professional SPC Software. Please Reply Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 1
Marc Cloning a Windows XP drive and Booting from a Firewire Clone After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 4
DanteCaspian Looking for Windows Media Player Help After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 3
bobdoering From MS: Guidance on Windows Deployments for Business Customers After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 0
Stijloor Microsoft's Ballmer: Windows 7 is nearly final After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 13
A Critical Windows Patch - All Version - 24 October 2008 After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 6
Marc NNTP Usenet Readers for Windows - Suggestions and Reviews After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 4
ScottK Safari for Windows is out today. After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 9
Stijloor The 20 (Mostly Free) Downloads for MS Windows Computers You Can't Do Without After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 2
Claes Gefvenberg Upgrading the Windows OS PC? After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 29
B Which Quality system? Company produces aluminum windows - No automotive ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
Claes Gefvenberg So, how about Microsoft Windows Vista? After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 85
Marc Vinyl Replacement Windows - 'Weeping' condensation at Glass / Vinyl Interface After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 20
J MS Windows XP Pro Hard Drive Defrag (defragmentation) question After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 26
Marc CrossOver public beta: Allows Windows apps to run without Windows on Intel-based Macs After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 0
Marc Another Windows Vista Feature Bites the Dust - PC-to-PC synchronization After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 1
Marc Intel-Macs owners now have an official second OS option - Windows XP After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 10
B Keeping your Windows PC running Smoothly After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 18
Marc Extremely Critical Windows Security Hole - 29 December 2005 After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 0
Marc Dell's Open PC Costs More Than Windows Box After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 5
Q Windows vs. Linux - Just wondering if any Covers use or have tried Linux After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 6
Marc What is the best 'Windows' laptop (notebook) computer? After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 19
Marc Hackers Tune In to Windows Media Player - Two new Trojans After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 4
Geoff Cotton MS Windows - Bagle-A Virus Alert - 18 Jan 2004 After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 17
Courier Where to find a good "STATISTICAL" and/or a good "GD&T" font for windows? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 7
Marc Windows 'Registered File types' After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 2