Windows 10 100 % disk use after update

Jim Wynne

Staff member
Admin
This has (had) been my experience as well...
I preferred Win7, and it was rock solid with no issues as long as it was out there...
my only gripe with Win10 is the standard "I don't know where to find my stuff anymore" that happens with any upgrade.

...until this issue, I've been on this laptop for years with no issues to mention...
I'm ~95% sure it was the transition to Norton360 from NIS...still trying to see if I can "downgrade"...
Norton and McAfee products are notorious for causing resource problems. I'm not sure what the problem people seem to have with the Windows Defender. It's a lot better than it once was, and it's designed to integrate with Windows 10 so you'll see far fewer conflicts than with 3rd-party programs.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Ninja

Looking for Reality
Trusted Information Resource
Norton and McAfee products are notorious for causing resource problems. I'm not sure what the problem people seem to have with the Windows Defender. It's a lot better than it once was, and it's designed to integrate with Windows 10 so you'll see far fewer conflicts than with 3rd-party programs.
I figure it's the historical vulnerability of Windows products...and trusting windows to defend windows...no current data.
Not that they are particularly vulnerable...just that the majority of hackers focus on Windows products...

I was able to downgrade Norton 360 Delux down to Norton 360 basic...they discontinued NIS completely...we'll see...
I've been on NIS for getting on 30yrs (since XP started) without resource issues unless it was Norton 360.
We'll see how we do...it's still 360, just not Deluxe.
If nothing else, I got $44 dollars back on the downgrade...Wheeeee

Ninja

Looking for Reality
K, well, crap.

Not Norton, not a virus, not a worm... my stupidity, a storm, and my choice to live by a nature preserve...

I live by a series of protected wetlands (Zoned R-RP). This means that you can't cut trees too much, even if there's a good reason.
The good reason is because they're all over the electric lines...but aren't cut.
Wind storm in late May lost us power for a couple days...on/off/on/off with significant spikes...I have a generator just for this, but it doesn't help the spikes.
The spikes killed power multiple times, but electronics are built to stand that...except...I'm an old school kind of guy.
I paid extra 4 yrs ago to get a spinning platter rather than the unproven SSD for a hard drive...and the spikes killed the motor.

Best Buy Geek Squad was here a while (dude seemed excellent, but said it was the worst he'd seen in a while...1hr window, he was here for 3hrs before just setting it all back to where he found it and walking away (no charge).

New computer today, runs like a champ...
Now I'm moving everything over on a couple of 1TB external drives...took 6hrs to move the desktop folders (including all the pics and the whole company IT) onto the ext. drive, took 4min to load them off onto the new computer...lol.
Moving all the music over now (overnight, estimated 26hrs)...should be 10min to put them on the new computer.

Lessons learned...moving parts suck...computers are temperamental...summer is hot...Geeks rule...life is good.
Thanks for all of your suggestions! Wish one of them worked without costing me $1000.

{Posted from my new computer (half the size, 1/3 the weight, twice as fast as historical, 10000000x as fast as current) }

Marc

Hunkered Down for the Duration
Staff member
Admin
In West Chester I have a 17KW Kohler outside generator with auto-failover and generator start (within 10 seconds it starts and is online kicking the mains out), but for over 15 years I have relied on battery UPS for all electronics because the auto-failover does not catch spikes fast enough. Note that SSDs are reliable these days but power spikes can crap out many things, including SSDs. Thoughts: Power Surges Can Damage Everything Electrical | Al's Plumbing, Heating & Air Conditioning

You can install whole house surge protectors. I can't attest to their reliability, though. I do know the one in my transfer box has stopped working.

Get yourself a good battery UPS and your computer will always run on battery rather than the line. And 'right sized' you should get 20 to 30 minutes of run time if electricity goes out so you can shut your computer down safely if power drops and your generator hasn't kicked in yet.

Informational: Transient Suppression

Ninja

Looking for Reality
Yup, I have the computer "rig" on UPS...but obviously not a "good one". Time for a new one of those as well.

Took me a while to source it down because the Norton, Windows updates and the storm were all right in the same time period...and my focus was more on the fridge/freezer power than anything else...all packed full for COVID, then power goes out.
When I got back to the computer, all updates had happened and there were many surprises...hardware failure was low on the list.
I've never had a hard drive go bad before...and one of my spinning 1TB external drives is over a decade old.

Marc

Hunkered Down for the Duration
Staff member
Admin
Years ago the local area was all farm fields and woods. Power cuts and spikes were somewhat frequent. Today the farmers have mostly sold out so now surrounded by developments, and even the old wooden "telephone" poles have been replaced by huge metal poles and power very rarely goes out.

Yeah, I have some disks that are over 10 years old, but I have seen some fail as well. I have had 3 RAID 5 hardware failures since around 2007, but in each case the drives were OK and I use them for off-line backups of stuff. I did have a RAID enclosure fail when I was outside mowing several years ago. Came back in and - No lights... Nothing - Replaced the power supply and it came back to life. I do have a program that runs all the time and monitors all attached disks for SMART status.

I have not had a power spike take anything out, but I know people who have (or so they say).

Ninja

Looking for Reality
Sigh...Thank you Isaias...
Power spikes all around, currently (again) running on generator...
No computer issues this time...YAY!

GunLake

Involved In Discussions
If you have not already, Upgrade to an SSD(Preferably a Samsung EVO 850). You will not be able to go back to a HDD after using an SSD. They're just too slow.

Anyway If you run into this issue again, Hit Windows Key + R.
Type Services
Search for "SysMain"
Disable this.

This causes many issues with 100% disk usage and imo is 100% useless. If you want to learn more about it google SysMain or SuperFetch (What it was previously called)

and like others have stated, Get RID of Norton, McAfee, AVG any of that, They will all just suck your resources. Windows Defender & MelwareBytes is by far the best to use.

Ninja

Looking for Reality
Thanks @GunLake

The new computer is SSD (hard to find a spinning platter even if you wanted one).
Can't really see a speed difference between this and a functioning 1TB spinning HD...if I look for it, I can tell it's faster...but if I'm not actively looking for it it is not noticeable.
Either way...on SSD and likely to stay that way simply because all new PC's pretty much are SSD by default.

Jim Wynne

Staff member
Admin
If you have not already, Upgrade to an SSD(Preferably a Samsung EVO 850). You will not be able to go back to a HDD after using an SSD. They're just too slow.
Whether or not an SSD is worth the expense is dependent on a number of factors, not the least of which is how the computer is used. I'm using a home-brew desktop right now that's eight years old with the original WD 500GB, 7200 RPM hard drive and everything is acceptably speedy. When I replace the hard drive (sometime soon, due to age) I'll get an SSD, but it wouldn't be worth the expense otherwise.

Anyway If you run into this issue again, Hit Windows Key + R.
Type Services
Search for "SysMain"
Disable this.

This causes many issues with 100% disk usage and imo is 100% useless. If you want to learn more about it google SysMain or SuperFetch (What it was previously called)
No need to invoke the "run" box. You can just type ser on the Windows 10 Start menu and select Services. No Windows services should be disabled unless there's good evidence that they're causing a problem. You can see what resources SysMain is using by opening Task Manager (type task in the Start menu). Mine is lying there quietly, not bothering anyone, and that will be the case with most Windows 10 installations.
I don't think it does cause many issues in the grand scheme of things. Microsoft says that there are now more than one billion Windows 10 installations and of those, the ones that have problems with SysMain are a tiny minority.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
G Windows 10 OS build Software Validation US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 1
Claes Gefvenberg Windows 8.1 - Pros & cons, hints & tips. After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 5
Jim Wynne Windows 8.1: No Security Updates Without Update 1 After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 4
Marc Windows XP EOL scamware After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 1
insect warfare IRS pays Microsoft for Windows XP support After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 2
insect warfare Windows XP support ends today (April 8, 2014) After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 2
T Will the End of Windows XP Support affect anything in AS9100? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
K COTS Validation: Should we validate Windows after each Update? IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 3
G When to use a flyscreen on windows? Food Safety - ISO 22000, HACCP (21 CFR 120) 8
Jim Wynne Have you tried Microsoft Windows 8? After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 25
Marc The "I am calling you from Windows" telephone scam After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 13
Z Tutor For Windows--CMM Software--Is anyone familiar with it? Calibration and Metrology Software and Hardware 2
D Windows CE Operating System - Implantable Blood Pump and a Software Accessory Device IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 8
Stijloor Importing Address Books (Thunderbird and Outlook Express) into Windows Live Mail After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 3
Marc 66% of All Windows Users Still Use Windows XP After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 19
Stijloor Briefcase on Windows 7... After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 29
S Google phasing out use of Windows over security concerns After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 0
Claes Gefvenberg Microsoft Windows users: Which windows version are you using? March - April 2010 After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 37
S Software changes (windows 2007 compatible) notification to FDA? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 5
Jim Wynne February 2010 Windows Update Causes BSOD for Alureon Rooted XP Users After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 8
J Google Offers Peek at Operating System, a Potential Challenge to Windows After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 2
S Does Windows Service Pack (SP-3) upgrade need supplementary 510(k) submission?? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 6
Marc FSF Attacks Windows 7's "Sins" In New Campaign After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 1
F Is self-serve password reset for Windows considered for validation under CFR Part 11 Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 2
A If you use Magic Windows Professional SPC Software. Please Reply Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 1
Marc Cloning a Windows XP drive and Booting from a Firewire Clone After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 4
DanteCaspian Looking for Windows Media Player Help After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 3
bobdoering From MS: Guidance on Windows Deployments for Business Customers After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 0
Stijloor Microsoft's Ballmer: Windows 7 is nearly final After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 13
A Critical Windows Patch - All Version - 24 October 2008 After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 6
Marc NNTP Usenet Readers for Windows - Suggestions and Reviews After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 4
ScottK Safari for Windows is out today. After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 9
Stijloor The 20 (Mostly Free) Downloads for MS Windows Computers You Can't Do Without After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 2
Claes Gefvenberg Upgrading the Windows OS PC? After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 29
B Which Quality system? Company produces aluminum windows - No automotive ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
Claes Gefvenberg So, how about Microsoft Windows Vista? After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 85
Marc Vinyl Replacement Windows - 'Weeping' condensation at Glass / Vinyl Interface After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 20
J MS Windows XP Pro Hard Drive Defrag (defragmentation) question After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 26
Marc CrossOver public beta: Allows Windows apps to run without Windows on Intel-based Macs After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 0
Marc Another Windows Vista Feature Bites the Dust - PC-to-PC synchronization After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 1
Marc Intel-Macs owners now have an official second OS option - Windows XP After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 10
B Keeping your Windows PC running Smoothly After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 18
Marc Extremely Critical Windows Security Hole - 29 December 2005 After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 0
Marc Dell's Open PC Costs More Than Windows Box After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 5
Q Windows vs. Linux - Just wondering if any Covers use or have tried Linux After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 6
Marc What is the best 'Windows' laptop (notebook) computer? After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 19
Marc Hackers Tune In to Windows Media Player - Two new Trojans After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 4
Geoff Cotton MS Windows - Bagle-A Virus Alert - 18 Jan 2004 After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 17
Courier Where to find a good "STATISTICAL" and/or a good "GD&T" font for windows? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 7
Marc Windows 'Registered File types' After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 2