Words of Wisdom

S

samsung

A lot of people run a race to see who is fastest. I run to see who has the most guts, who can punish himself into exhausting pace, and then at the end, punish himself even more. – Steve Prefontaine

Can anyone cite an example to explain the above quote. I couldn't get past the later half of it, i.e.; "who can punish himself into exhausting pace, and then at the end, punish himself even more".

What does the author mean when he says 'punish himself' ?

U

Umang Vidyarthi

Quote of the day

"You can`t make anything idiot-proof because idiots are so ingenious." ~ Ron Burns

Umang :D

U

Umang Vidyarthi

Can anyone cite an example to explain the above quote. I couldn't get past the later half of it, i.e.; "who can punish himself into exhausting pace, and then at the end, punish himself even more".

Those having guts to run at exhausting pace, reach the goal and still continue with the same vigour towards new targets.

N

NoAvailableUserName

"Ants are so much like human beings as to be an embarrassment. They farm fungi, raise aphids as livestock, launch armies into war, use chemical sprays to alarm and confuse enemies, capture slaves, engage in child labor, exchange information ceaselessly. They do everything but watch television." – Lewis Thomas

U

Umang Vidyarthi

Quote of the day

"We are so busy watching out for what's just ahead of us that we don't take time to enjoy where we are." ~ Calvin & Hobbes

N

NoAvailableUserName

Umang is right. The author is talking about pushing the limits.. Going beyond when it's hard and your body wants to quit. :)

N

NoAvailableUserName

To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the Gift." – Steve Prefontaine

Top Bottom