Work Instructions; Controlled/Uncontrolled?

CindyG

Involved In Discussions
Hello all,
I searched/read through as many conversations that I could find concerning "work instructions" but was not able to find an answer.
With ISO 9001-2015, is it a requirement to "control" our work instructions?

The work instructions i'm referring to are visuals, examples of how to do something. They are not our standard routers/travelers used for ea. job order.

Thanks as always for your help!

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

qualprod

Trusted Information Resource
Hello all,
I searched/read through as many conversations that I could find concerning "work instructions" but was not able to find an answer.

The work instructions i'm referring to are visuals, examples of how to do something. They are not our standard routers/travelers used for ea. job order.

Thanks as always for your help!
Cindyg

A work instruction is a document, the same as procedures, forms, visual aids, quality police, quality objectives,etc.
and according to 7.5 , is documented information and need control es per 7.5.3

Hope this helps

Jim Wynne

Staff member
Admin
Hello all,
As previous responses have pointed out, control is required. I have to wonder why, regardless of requirements of the standard, why you wouldn't think it the prudent thing to do.

Golfman25

Trusted Information Resource
While they need to be controlled, there are different methods of control. Things like the OP mentions, we like to control at the department level.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
H When do you need ISO 9001 Controlled Work Instructions? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 15
Icy Mountain Controlled Documents....or not? One and two-page "how-to" instructions Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 12
B Should Tooling Documentation (such as tooling setup instructions) be Controlled? QS-9000 - American Automotive Manufacturers Standard 1
K EU MDR Annex 1 Chapter III: Information in the Instructions for Use-23.4 (e) the performance characteristics of the device; EU Medical Device Regulations 1
J Documentation structure - Do I need Work Instructions? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 23
M User manual / instructions for use for class II device always required? Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 3
L MDR - Information in the instructions for use - clausole 23.4.(z) EU Medical Device Regulations 2
S ISO 18223-2 Temperature symbol in the Legend table in the Instructions for Use Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 4
S Providing IFU (Instructions for Use) in multiple languages EU Medical Device Regulations 0
M Informational The USFDA Continues to Remind Facilities of the Importance of Following Duodenoscope Reprocessing Instructions: FDA Safety Communication Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
Z IFU (Instructions for Use) Symbol - 7010:M002 - can it be in black? IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 1
I Document levels and approval requirements for lower level documents like work instructions, forms etc. Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 18
N Electronic Instructions for use (eIFU) EU Medical Device Regulations 1
Marc Elsmar Xenforo Software Instructions #2 - 9/2018 Elsmar Xenforo Forum Software Instructions and Help 0
Marc Elsmar Xenforo Software Instructions #1 - 9/2018 Elsmar Xenforo Forum Software Instructions and Help 0
M Batch record supersedes all other instructions 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
N Updating class I device IFU with instructions to use class II cleared device 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
H SPC Work Instructions (WI) Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 2
S Are 2 Hard Copies of Procedures and Instructions Required? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
K IATF 16949 Cl. 8.5.1.2 - Requirements of Work Instructions and Documents IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
J Work Instructions - We have approx 1,000 work instructions from over the years Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 8
Ajit Basrur Incoming Inspection for Instructions for Use (IFU) 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
T Product Instructions (IFU) - Placement Requirements - ISO 13485:2003/2016 Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 2
C Manufacturing Process Work Instructions - Format Manufacturing and Related Processes 4
D 207/2012 Update for MDR (?) - Instructions for Use (IFU) EU Medical Device Regulations 2
R How to Control Videos as part of the QMS Documented Procedures and Instructions Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
D eQMS/ERP System Admin Work Instructions - Where do they fit? Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 5
R ISO 50001 - Manual and instructions Sustainability, Green Initiatives and Ecology 8
C Following Order of Work Instructions ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 23
M CAPA due to Consumer not following Maintenance Instructions... Nonconformance and Corrective Action 9
V Suggest Packing Instructions for Electrical Control panel Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 4
Q Allowed no manuals, technical instructions traceability in products ISO 9001? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
C Video Screencasts for Work Instructions ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
A Process Changes, but Work Instructions/Process Maps are not updated ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 16
O Regulatory Notification for IVD IFU Instructions Revision ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
Q Help sections in Software Programs as Work Instructions ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
R Should we have Work Instructions for HR or not Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 5
M Who should write Departmental Work Instructions Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 6
S Informational Please help this newbie understand ISO 9001 Work Instructions ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 44
T Work Instructions for Assembly vs. Disassembly Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 11
S Do Work Instructions have to be in harmony with the related Control Plan? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
Q ISO 9001 Requirement(s) for the Review of Work Instructions Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 11
M AS9100C Document Control for Machine Set Up Work Instructions AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 4
J IFUs (Instructions For Use) - EU e-Labeling 207/2012 EU Medical Device Regulations 15
T What to do when Employees are not following Instructions Human Factors and Ergonomics in Engineering 65
Q Symbols - Consult Instructions for Use Other Medical Device Related Standards 9
M Machine Shop Process Instructions (Traveler) question AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 6
A Are Medical Device Servicing Instructions Part of Labeling? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 9
A Cleaning instructions for our non sterile, single use products EU Medical Device Regulations 6
J Medical Device Procedure Pack IFU's (Instructions for Use) ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5