Work Instructions versus Process Flow Charts

R

Ron Tollett

Hi Team, I have a question regarding work instructions versus process flow charts. Do we require to have work instructions or can a process flow chart work as a work instruction? Also called Standard Operating procedures in some places. Also, can you use a process flow chart for a Job description?

somashekar

Leader
Admin
In a word, Yes - As long as it contains all 'relevant' and 'necessary' information. Content is king over format.
A beautiful flowchart can have the flow along with a text box against each activity with a brief instruction and an other box for a picture dipicting the output at that activity. You can be as creative as you think how to make it single most useful document ~~~

A

APenn

A beautiful flowchart can have the flow along with a text box against each activity with a brief instruction and an other box for a picture dipicting the output at that activity. You can be as creative as you think how to make it single most useful document ~~~

I'm also interested in developing documentation using this method. Unfortunately I'm not the most creative guy, Can anyone point me to some good examples showing different flowchart layouts?

Thanks

R

Ron Tollett

I use Smart Draw. It has a lot of other value added items such as organizational charts, floor layouts and the list goes on. You can download a demo for a week. I only paid $200.00 for a very value added tool.They also have excellent support techs. Here is the link. http://www.smartdraw.com

T

tamale

If you are going the flowchart way, I strongly suggest that each diagram be accompanied by a responsibility matrix. It makes things much clearer for all that are involved.

Also I would suggest, if applicable in your business model, that you try using vertical swim lanes with inputs on the left, actors in the middle and outputs on the right.

Each activity is documented from left to right before going down the lane.

Very easy to visualize and understand the process !

Tamale

D

Dubai_capi

In a word, Yes - As long as it contains all 'relevant' and 'necessary' information. Content is king over format.

yes, i agree with the above.. and MS visio is a good tool to help you map any process.. it has all the diagrams you need..:cool:

Marc

Fully vaccinated are you?
Leader
Hi , see the link below for a resource on how to create a flow chart, examples and even a template.

I think flow charts or PFD help employees to visualize the process and make it easier to understand and management to improve on the process. Also, auditors find the flow charts helpful in evaluating the processes during a process audit approach.

http://asq.org/learn-about-quality/process-analysis-tools/overview/flowchart.html

ISO 9001 *Basic* Process Flow Charts.pdf

Example Flow Charts and related files

Some basic flow chart stuff

Remember there are many, many kinds of flow charts when it comes to content and format/layout.

Top Bottom