Working closer and better with Suppliers - Practical ideas to improve?

L

Lily123

Hi,
The company I work for buy in many machined parts (from a few suppliers) that need to fit together quite accurately dimension wise.
My self (Quality) and Mechanical Engineer (in R&D) are looking two-fold at improving this.
Our initial ideas are to :

1) Ensure incoming inspection utilise Technical Drawings in a meaningful way - measuring critical dimensions and follow sampling plans guidelines from ISO 2859-1.
2) Now we want some push back to Suppliers, can we ask what they consider critical on their out-going checks ? - or do we dictate to them what to check, dependant on what really matters to us, later down the line on our processes re. form,fit,function ?

How can we progress on getting a Supplier First Parts inspection and acceptance report ? Is this the same as a FAIR Report, how does this work ?
What about a Certificate of conformity from the Suppliers with each batch, does this help? Do we specify what they should check ?

We are in very early stages of this project, so any ideas appreciated, Thanks :thanx:

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Michael_M

Trusted Information Resource
As the buyer you can ask for anything you want (inspection reports, SPC data, etc), however you will probably have to pay for the 'extra', increasing the part price.

How can we progress on getting a Supplier First Parts inspection and acceptance report ? Is this the same as a FAIR Report, how does this work ?
Typically a FAIR is produced once. There are a few things that will require a new FAIR (per AS9102). Has 2 or more years elapsed since the part was produced last, was there a change in the production that will affect form, fit, or function, is the item being produced at a different location, and has a revision change occurred.

Where I work, we have an inspection report for one of our customers that looks very much like a FAI (removed all references to AS9102) and form 3 is all one page. This gets filled out with the data from one part per manufacturing lot.

The best advice I can give is talk to the suppliers and see what they can do to ensure the parts are made to print and supply this data to you on a regular basis. They may already do this for one or more of there other customers and it always makes it easier if you work with them instead of dictating to them.

Last edited:
J

jmann

I am in the mindset of collaborating with your suppliers and have them understand what is Critical to your operations and your customers. From that, both parties can align on critical dimensions.

The second thing also is that have your suppliers demonstrate their capability in producing these components throughout multiple production lots/batches and understand if low/high frequency checks are required. If there is a critical dimension that is deemed extremely important, start to work together on in-line fail safes that will reject these nonconformances.

Be cautious of CoA/CoC type documents without going through the exercise of understanding items such as Samples Size, Frequency, and Gage Error. Also be mindful of what you want to understand. If you are dealing with variable data, consider having Cpk targets (assuming they have their process already in control) or some variation so you can understand how centered their process is and what variation exists.

D

DrM2u

Now we want some push back to Suppliers, can we ask what they consider critical on their out-going checks ? - or do we dictate to them what to check, dependant on what really matters to us, later down the line on our processes re. form,fit,function ?
For what is worth, I suggest that you and your supplier compare apples to apples when it comes to product quality. To me, this means:
- You tell your supplier what is important to you regarding product quality (fit, form, function), just like your customers tell you what is important to them
- You can ask your supplier for input regarding manufacturability in the early stages of product and/or development, since they are the experts at what they do; they can tell you what can be made and what can be measured
- You should come to a common understanding regarding what is measured and what methods and tools are used; a PPAP or an equivalent method of process approval would help much
- Try to use the same methods and tools like your supplier for incomming product inspection; this way, you can check eachother's tools when differences are identified, before blaming the supplier for NC product. You can also interchange gauges when needed, comapre gauge MSA studies, etc.

I hope this helps. Best wishes!

A

amit_rd

Congratulations for bringing a very important topic indeed!

I recommend creating a real partnership model with the suppliers. The model should be phased into - Introduction, steps of knowing each others strengths and weaknesses (This helps in knowing where to ask for help and where to support) and finally to establish a robust communication model.

For critical product characteristics you may do a joint exercise with the suppliers - FMEA and Characteristics matrices may be utilized.

The result should be focused on process control and reduced level of inspection.

I know it is easy to say then do - But once done it brings fantastic results, and this I claim based on experience.

Last edited by a moderator:
2) Now we want some push back to Suppliers, can we ask what they consider critical on their out-going checks ? - or do we dictate to them what to check, dependant on what really matters to us, later down the line on our processes re. form,fit,function ?
Working closer and better with suppliers has a long way to go and needs ongoing good management and relationship building.
From your form, fit, function requirements, what are your CTQ (Critical to Quality) and why ?
Can you explain and demonstrate them to your supplier core technical team ...
Find out from them how your documentation fits into meeting your CTQ requirements. Be ready and willing to make changes to your documents so as to get from suppliers what you desire finally.
Impress upon them the need for process validations if any, so that your parts are in good process controlled environment and effective change management. This will avoid surprises and build confidence between customer and supplier.
These can then lead into suppliers inspection and acceptance report / Certificate of conformance. The underlying aspect in these are confidence building, which is more important than the reports and certificates.

L

Lily123

Thanks for all replies,
One difficulty we have is that our measurement tools are not on par with the Supplier (they are machine shop, and have sophisticated guages) - we still have to catch up and spend some money..

One step forward we achieved in last few days is we have identified another CTQ dimension on Engineering drawing (critical for us in our assembly) this new information has been passed to supplier for their inspection criteria (and our Incoming Inspectors also)
The PPAP sounds like the way to go, I will read up about it !! Thanks

J

JoeDM

An approach we took was to take our best inspector and make him a source inspector. The source inspector trained the suppliers' quality people in how to measure, what tools to use and what the most critical features were.

Because we had few suppliers, and the suppliers were guarranteed a certain amount of business which was more or less predictable, they were willing to invest in equipment that was as good as ours, and in some cases better. In some cases we loaned equipment to suppliers.

The result was fewer bottle necks at incoming inspection since the product was already inspected, fewer defects found in production, and higher quality components. This didn't happen overnight though. It took several years.

Suppliers want to do a good job. After all, they want your money and your continued business. Closely working with suppliers is key.

I don't see a lot of value in dealing with suppliers half way around the world, who speak a different language and are expensive to visit. The purchase price might be lower, but what about total cost?

P

PaulJSmith

This is an excellent thread.

One of our company's biggest suppliers is also the worst performer. In the past, they had not been held to much account for their quality failings. Now that we have a full time Quality Department (me), I've found it a challenge to approach that accountability, as many of our older drawings didn't even contain tolerances.

The supplier's issues are internal; mostly personnel, but some process. Now that we have opened a greater dialog with them, they have been very receptive to our needs and requirements. Seeing that we are making changes on our end as we continue to grow has helped to motivate them to do the same. We're not just beating them up; they see that we're fixing our issues, too.

I know it's a well-beated horse :)deadhorse:), but communication really is key.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
J Advice on documentation for project I am working on... ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 17
G Why 1 MOPP to main voltage but 2 MOPP to working voltage IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 6
shimonv Working with a contract manufacturer ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
shimonv Working with a software developer who is not setup for IEC 62304 IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 9
B 3-phase supply, overvoltage catogory, line-to-neutral and working voltage (IEC 61010-1) IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 0
John Broomfield Guidance on Safe Working During Covid-19 Pandemic Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 5
S Experience working with TUV SUD or Rheinland, and/or BSI Registrars and Notified Bodies 7
G Working on a Root Cause Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 11
M Informational TGA-led IMDRF Personalised Medical Devices working group meets in Canberra Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M Informational EU – Minutes of the 24 July 2019 SCHEER Working Group on safety of breast implants in relation to anaplastic large cell lymphoma (BIA-ALCL) meeting Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
Watchcat MDD, MDR/IVDR, Working Groups, Expert Panels, MEDDEVs and Other EU Guidances EU Medical Device Regulations 32
T Is anyone working with N299.1 (Supply/service to nuclear power plants)? Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 0
M Informational EU – 12th Meeting of the Working Group on Guidelines on benefit – risk assessment of Phthalates in Medical Devices Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
G Anyone working with or planning to do business in the CBD (cannabidiol) industry? US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 1
M Applicability of Means of Protection, working voltage in an Automated External Defibrillator IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 0
Sidney Vianna ISO 9001 News Tirelessly Improving the Brand Integrity of ISO 9001 - Working Group under ISO TC 176 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 52
E Feeling ill when working with adhesives Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 2
M Informational EU – SCHEER – Minutes of the Working Group meeting on guidelines on the benefit-risk assessment of the presence of phthalates in certain medical devic Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 1
T IEC60601-1: Isolation for an applied part with working voltage of 1500Vp. IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 8
Rameshwar25 Min working experience for IATF 16949 third party auditor IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
J AS9100 - Working Outside of Scope of Certification AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
S ISO 13485 Cl. 6.2 Human Resources - Personnel working within the QMS ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
K Outsourced Major Processes - Working for Two Sister Companies AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1
A Working for multiple CB's (Certification Bodies) AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 17
N Anyone working on NIST SP 800-171 (Network and Information Security)? Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 4
O Cleaning API Rotary Shoulder Connections Working Mates exposed to Outside Weather General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
R Working on a 510(k) that is very similar to the predicate device Other US Medical Device Regulations 4
L How many working hours to required to implement ISO 14001 ? ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 6
R How to Determine Working Voltage & Tolerance for Isolation Barriers? IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 2
S OHSAS 18001 - 4.3.2 Legal and Other Requirements - Working document or template Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 2
D How Working Standard Calibration result use in Verification of Equipment General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 7
B Any future for someone working as Lead Quality right these days? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
W Control of Document - Working Instruction and Checklist ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
W Working in a company where we try to implement ISO 27001 IEC 27001 - Information Security Management Systems (ISMS) 9
C "PEAK WORKING VOLTAGE" with a 220-240VAC nominal Power Supply IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 5
C What is an acceptable bioburden level or count when working in cleanroom ISO class7 ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
AnaMariaVR2 IMDRF Working With ICH on Harmonized Electronic Submission System for Drugs, Devices Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 0
J0anne US Working Permit Requirements for European Consultants Career and Occupation Discussions 2
E What are the major difficulties when working as a consultant in your industry? Consultants and Consulting 20
B Need help on an application we are working on Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 4
A I am working in QA. How can I gain knowledge and skills on EHS system? Career and Occupation Discussions 4
K What are the challenges of working in UAE as an Auditor ? General Auditing Discussions 2
X Shall not exceed 2 working weeks = shall not exceed within 10 working days? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
I IEC 60601-1 Least Favourable Working Conditions for Medical Equipment IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 3
J Frequency of Re-Testing Working Standards (Secondary Reference Standard) Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 1
R Supplier Satisfaction Survey about Working with us as a Customer Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 7
R Informational How to consider the Working Voltage for splitting 2MOPP IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 39
M Working Styles - The lazy, last minutes type Career and Occupation Discussions 13
R Determining Working Voltage - Drawing a Medical Device Insulation Diagram IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 5
Q Quality Working Documents in same QMS Folders? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4